What's new

Razors that begin with B

It's always fun when one's apparently disparate interests happen to intersect, especially in a useful way, isn't it? Bit like when I ended up with a heavily used grabendolch with a mostly obliterated marking of "EI WA D RASI M SSER-FABRIK" (ERN Wald Rasiermesser-fabrik) which I was only able to decipher because I knew the brand from some razors I had.

Oh cool, good sleuthing!

A little check on ebay last night and it looks like there's also another razor producer called 'Beaujeu Aine'. Aine is another common surname in that part of the world - one of the most famous winemakers in the Rhone (Beaujolais is in the Rhone) is called Paul Jaboulet Aine.

I assume this kind of two part surname is the same as what's still done in Spain today, where the first name comes from the mother's family and is kinda a bit like a middle name too. The second is from the father's family and is more like the surname proper. So the Beaujeu family clearly got around a bit!

Screenshot 2023-05-28 011147.jpg

Oh cool, good sleuthing!

A little check on ebay last night and it looks like there's also another razor producer called 'Beaujeu Aine'. Aine is another common surname in that part of the world - one of the most famous winemakers in the Rhone (Beaujolais is in the Rhone) is called Paul Jaboulet Aine.

I assume this kind of two part surname is the same as what's still done in Spain today, where the first name comes from the mother's family and is kinda a bit like a middle name too. The second is from the father's family and is more like the surname proper. So the Beaujeu family clearly got around a bit!

View attachment 1661525
I may be wrong but I don’t believe Aine is a sir name. Some shallow digging led me to believe it’s
roughly the equivalent of a father or elder. The Senior ( father) made
This razor.
For example Beaujeu is the family and the Aine would refer to the father . I don’t recall the name for son.
It’s a way to reference who in the family made the razor .
Our version of Senior or Junior if the son followed in the family tradition.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

If John Smith and his son made razors.
You may ask but who made this razor in particular?
We’d say , the father, or Smith Sr.
There they’d say
Smith Aine. The elder Smith.

Last edited:
Thank you. But I just tossed it out there. It was a nice idea it seems.
I’m sure most of these razors were posted at one time. Many sadly were missed . I was interested in seeing them all.
It’s the members though that are
making it great.
I just love razors.

Then again. Tossing out a razor idea to most of these guys is like tossing a hunk of meat into an alligator pit.
There will be some activity.
Just sit back and watch. Better yet, join in.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I don’t believe Aine is a sir name. Some shallow digging led me to believe it’s
roughly the equivalent of a father or elder. The Senior ( father) made
This razor.
For example Beaujeu is the family and the Aine would refer to the father . I don’t recall the name for son.
It’s a way to reference who in the family made the razor .
Our version of Senior or Junior if the son followed in the family tradition.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

If John Smith and his son made razors.
You may ask but who made this razor in particular?
We’d say , the father, or Smith Sr.
There they’d say
Smith Aine. The elder Smith.

Ah, I did not know that! But yes it looks like you're right. And that it's something that kinda becomes part of an individual's surname, but not a family name that they'd pass on to the next generation.

There have historically been some weird inheritance laws in that part of the world too. One of the reasons that Burgundy vineyards are split up into so may tiny parcels owned by different people, is that they didn't really have primogenitor there after the revolution, and most of the land was owned by famers rather than the church, or foreigners (like Bordeaux).

Okay, so let's try again then. "B" stands for "Böker" as well. I love their razors as the softer steel feels really comfortable on my face. And for this reason, they have a warm spot in my heart. Will probably get more in the future, if they keep manufacturing razors. Unfortunately, in the last 3-4 years, their production lowered and this trend still continues even today.

1. Not the original, but it's a re-issue. The original ones are super hard to find in good condition and also very expensive. I will not pay those prices. The original one was 6/8, but Böker decided to make the re-issue in 5/8 for some reason. I never found out why. This piece you see here is the last one to be made out of 300. It never sold well for Böker, so I doubt they will make too many razors inspired from their history.

Still has the factory edge, I never honed or used this razor. Will come into my rotation probably next year.

View attachment 1660585

2. My first straight razor. Used this one for a few years on a daily basis or every two days.

View attachment 1660586

3. My second razor. Been used daily or every two days for a couple of years.

View attachment 1660587

4. Same as 1., this is not the original one but another re-issue. Never used, never honed. It will come into rotation somewhere next year.

View attachment 1660588

5. I love this one. 7/8, it's perfect for me. Need to tap the pin again as it's getting looser.

View attachment 1660589

6. And last one, a meat chopper. It can cut hair as well.

View attachment 1660590
Glad you shared your Bokers, a stunning collection.

Loving seeing all of your great razors.

I don’t know how strict you are, but I’m going to jump in with my newest razor.

B is for Boston!

New England Razor Co. Boston

Just honed and shaved with it. My best edge yet! Great shaver.

Sorry if my excitement ruined your B is for Bonanza!
IMG_8309.jpeg

Loving seeing all of your great razors.

I don’t know how strict you are, but I’m going to jump in with my newest razor.

B is for Boston!

New England Razor Co. Boston

Just honed and shaved with it. My best edge yet! Great shaver.

Sorry if my excitement ruined your B is for Bonanza!
View attachment 1661590
You adding to the mix is just perfect.
Go ahead. Jump in. The waters fine.

• Love
Reactions: GNR
Oh cool, good sleuthing!

View attachment 1661525
Not sure how it works in Spain but in Latin America, the first surname is from the father, second from mom. Then most just use their first surname.

A bit off topic but concerning names.
Watching CrossFit I was curious about the Icelandic women’s last names.
For example. Sara Sigmundsdottir.
The woman’s name is Sara and she is Sigmunds daughter.
If it’s a male the ending is son.
Leif Erickson. So Leif is Eric’s son.
Not a combo of mother/father, Junior or senior.
Clever way to distinguish one Sara from another. Who’s your daddy?

But in Ireland the last name starting with Mc, as in McDonald means son of Donald. And names starting with O as in O’Donald means grandson of Donald.
Neat! But I’m sure I’m the last to learn this.
Sorry. Back to our previously scheduled programming.

Last edited:
Today's B's Bonanza of Blades, a whole Bunch of them.
Starting with:
Baby in Black Bamboo
20230528_154103.jpg

Next up: Brown Thrush, Bergstrom, Bennett and Blue Streak
20230528_153810.jpg

And finally: Blue Bird, The Black Diamond, Black Crow and J. L. Brandeis & Sons. One of those sons went down with the Titanic.
All of the razors shown today have a home town connection :straight:
20230528_153951.jpg

I would guess it's the same but thinking about it, I don't really know anyone from Spain.
All my Spanish speaking friends are from Latin America.

I have a handful of friends in Spain / Catalunya, and now that I think about it I'm pretty sure they're the same as you said - patroynmic first, then matronymic, and usually abbreviated to just use the first.

Oh cool, good sleuthing!

I think "ainé" might refer to first born, which could indicate that Beaujeu had several sons who continued the business separately, upon getting married, they could have differentiated the name by adding their spouse's

Top Bottom