What's new

Razors that aren't picky

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It doesn't really matter all that much when I throw a blade, almost any blade, into my Rockwell 6C #4 plate. The shave is always smooth with no real trouble. I've got a few duds in my den that I'm going to throw in there and report back.

Do you own a razor that shaves good with pretty much any blade?

I have the Rockwell 6s, same story, you can load up anything and get a comfortable shave, usually with reasonable closeness. I'm a BBS fiend, so there are a couple blades that just don't cut it, literally, as that graying growth needs some sharpness to clean or close cut. (No razor is going to make a Derby give me a close shave, sorry, not happening).

The MingShi/QShave Merkur Futur clones are also VERY blade neutral. I could almost chock in a piece of cardboard, plastic, or tin can and probably get a good shave with them. I'd expect a genuine Futur to be similar, however, don't own one to try.

The Karve CB is also very forgiving blade wise, although I did have a bit of burn using a KAI blade in it, but just about anything else seems to work well.

There will be some disagreements to my last pick, but, I find the Timeless (mine is an 95 OC) to be relatively blade friendly. I've used Astra SP, Feather, KAI, Nacet, Pol-Silver, Rapira, Rockwell, and Persona (Blue) in mine, and they all performed well. I've only had the Timeless for a couple of months, and I only swap the blade when its done.

My Timeless razor (.68 SB version) is this way. Doesn't seem to really matter what blade I throw in it (as long as it's a quality blade), they all give me about the same feel and performance.

This is the razor that I'll reach for to get rid of stray blades.

Could also be that the “users aren’t picky”?
If I like a given razor, being it mild, intermediate or aggressive, chanses are that, regardless the blade I use, the characteristic of the razor will still be dominant.

Could also be that the “users aren’t picky”?
If I like a given razor, being it mild, intermediate or aggressive, chanses are that, regardless the blade I use, the characteristic of the razor will still be dominant.

There are some old ones that will complain.

Most of my razors shave quite well with any popular blade; most of my blades work quite well with most of my razors.

This suggests to me that technique, preparation and a slow careful shave are hugely important.

A few razors are blade neutral in my rotation. The Parker Variant, Merkur Progress, Rockwell 6S, on the vintage line up, Red-Tip, New Long Comb and Tech.

I own a number of razors. Vintage and new. Expensive and inexpensive. None of them work well for me with certain blades (like derby).

Hmm!! Not sure that I have had any ‘blade neutral’ razors. I have to search for an optimal combo.

Top Bottom