What's new

Razorock XXX Fresco review

I just learned about this soap a couple of weeks ago. I don't need any soap right now, but I had to try it because of how much I love the scent. It came yesterday and I used it for the first time this morning. For those unaware, this is the same scent as Razorock XXX, but it's a different soap base, and adds camphor and menthol. I prefer the scent of XXX to Stirling Piacenza, and I generally say Razorock soap is a good value but performance isn't as strong as my preferred soaps (B&M, Stirling, Tabac, Captain's Choice)--and Razorock soaps tend to dry my skin. However, XXX smells so good I've gone through at least 3 tubs of it and haven't had any on hand since last fall so I was planning to order some, anyway.

My set up this morning was an Omega boar, Gillette fat boy set to 4, and a new Persona lab blue blade; followed by some Thayer's witch hazel and a spray of cologne.

First, the smell. I love the XXX smell because it reminds me of the barbershop my dad took me to as a kid--and the menthol and camphor are really quite mild. I love to overdo the menthol (Stirling Glacials are just about right...), but I'd say the Fresco has less menthol than Proraso Green; it's very subtle. So for those who don't love menthol, I wouldn't worry about this soap. For those who love menthol, you'll want to keep some menthol drops on hand.

Second, the soap base. This soap is a softer than regular Razorock soaps. So despite being 8.5 ounces, I wonder if it will really last much longer than the regular 5 ounce soaps. However, I used an Omega boar this morning and it quickly had enough soap on it to build up enough lather for probably 4 passes (I only did two, then washed a lot of soap down the drain). So I already learned not to load it as heavily as some other soaps which may mean the container could last a good, long time.

Third, performance. This soap is so much creamier than regular Razorock soaps (* I haven't tried the new super tallow formula being used). I'd say the performance formula matches other soaps in the price range. Good stuff--I'm very happy with it. I don't know how to rate things like glide, slickness, cushion, etc.--but they were all awesome and at 3:30 this afternoon, my cheeks are still smooth. Best thing, my skin didn't feel dry afterward, which is pretty good considering I don't see a bunch of super fats in the ingredients.

Overall, I'm very happy with the new soap. I'll still buy the new super tallow XXX next time I need to place an order, but this is a great product. I'm not sure how often it'll be in stock since the website warns it's made in very small batches (which I'm sure contributes to the price) and also says it may not hold up in mailboxes if shipping in summer (which is when many of us want menthol).

Final comment--I'd love for them to change the name! I saw another thread where people were warning not to Google XXX Fresco. I think Razorock products are top notch, especially for the price, but I can't tell people to go search for XXX soap or XXX Fresco for fear of what they'll think of me! I have to send them links on where to find it. Despite the name, this will continue to be a staple in my shave den.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just learned about this soap a couple of weeks ago. I don't need any soap right now, but I had to try it because of how much I love the scent. It came yesterday and I used it for the first time this morning. For those unaware, this is the same scent as Razorock XXX, but it's a different soap base, and adds camphor and menthol. I prefer the scent of XXX to Stirling Piacenza, and I generally say Razorock soap is a good value but performance isn't as strong as my preferred soaps (B&M, Stirling, Tabac, Captain's Choice)--and Razorock soaps tend to dry my skin. However, XXX smells so good I've gone through at least 3 tubs of it and haven't had any on hand since last fall so I was planning to order some, anyway.

My set up this morning was an Omega boar, Gillette fat boy set to 4, and a new Persona lab blue blade; followed by some Thayer's witch hazel and a spray of cologne.

First, the smell. I love the XXX smell because it reminds me of the barbershop my dad took me to as a kid--and the menthol and camphor are really quite mild. I love to overdo the menthol (Stirling Glacials are just about right...), but I'd say the Fresco has less menthol than Proraso Green; it's very subtle. So for those who don't love menthol, I wouldn't worry about this soap. For those who love menthol, you'll want to keep some menthol drops on hand.

Second, the soap base. This soap is a softer than regular Razorock soaps. So despite being 8.5 ounces, I wonder if it will really last much longer than the regular 5 ounce soaps. However, I used an Omega boar this morning and it quickly had enough soap on it to build up enough lather for probably 4 passes (I only did two, then washed a lot of soap down the drain). So I already learned not to load it as heavily as some other soaps which may mean the container could last a good, long time.

Third, performance. This soap is so much creamier than regular Razorock soaps (* I haven't tried the new super tallow formula being used). I'd say the performance formula matches other soaps in the price range. Good stuff--I'm very happy with it. I don't know how to rate things like glide, slickness, cushion, etc.--but they were all awesome and at 3:30 this afternoon, my cheeks are still smooth. Best thing, my skin didn't feel dry afterward, which is pretty good considering I don't see a bunch of super fats in the ingredients.

Overall, I'm very happy with the new soap. I'll still buy the new super tallow XXX next time I need to place an order, but this is a great product. I'm not sure how often it'll be in stock since the website warns it's made in very small batches (which I'm sure contributes to the price) and also says it may not hold up in mailboxes if shipping in summer (which is when many of us want menthol).

Final comment--I'd love for them to change the name! I saw another thread where people were warning not to Google XXX Fresco. I think Razorock products are top notch, especially for the price, but I can't tell people to go search for XXX soap or XXX Fresco for fear of what they'll think of me! I have to send them links on where to find it. Despite the name, this will continue to be a staple in my shave den.
Excellent review, I was thinking of buying some when they first came out with it because the regular XXX was not in stock yet and I enjoy the regular XXX soap also. I don't like a lot of Menthol so your review helps me make a decision down the road.

I just had the most magnificent shave with XXX Fresco. I pressed some XXX into a shaving bowl, let it sit in a little warm water for 30 seconds and lathered away with an Elite Manchurian 2 band 24mm bulb. At first I just got a lot of protolather, but I kept at it and it turned into voluminous, fluffy lather. I was a little concerned I blew the lather because fluffy looking lather has never been very effective for me. I added a little water to it until it was shinier and this lather was extremely slick and protective throughout the entire shave. It wasn't airy after all.

I finished the shave off with the matching splash. The other thing I enjoyed about XXX Fresco is that RR seems to have strengthened the citrus note compared to other clones. For some reason this made all the difference for me in my appreciation of Colonia. The scent strength seemed medium-low going on and gradually faded over several hours.

I don't know why I waited this long to try these RR soaps.

The RR XXX Fresco soap is no joke. And the splash is just icing on the cake. Excellent product that gives that almost Italian style barbershop effect with a soft cooling feel from the menthol. For those that don’t enjoy an iota of menthol cooling, this is not their cup of tea. And for the gent that needs to feel their tear ducts well up as a dam holds up a reservoir after torrential rains while feeling they’ve shoved their face into Antarctica’s Lambert Glacier, this will not suffice. However, for everyone else it will do exceptionally well.

FC15B6C2-83B4-4103-B4AF-A0BA8DB58565.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Friday, July7th 2023

Razor : Ever-Ready 2nd generation streamline - 1st gen was Mfg 1930's & 2nd gen 1950's, upper mid range, one of the best eye candy looking razors made by ASR corp. I find I like to use a RIGS shim underneath modern blade with this razor to smooth out the shave because the razor was designed around the thicker splined blades then. Had a close shave this morning with no issues + enjoyable.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) very sharp, excellent longevity, nicely smooths out over use, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco, nice XXX clean scent with some menthol + excellent lather qualities. Great soap and affordable for most folks. I realized the soap is under rated and now I look forward to using it in my soap rotation. This soap has just the right amount of menthol and will not make my eyes water , to much menthol I would not buy it. It has a little less menthol than Proraso green Eucalyptus as a simple gauge if wondering IMO. Great XXX scent as mentioned and refreshing on those hot summer days. Razorock(I.B) has sales on this soap off & on is a good time to buy it possibly.
Brush : Yaqi " Mysterious space" 24mm timber wolf synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX Fresco AS :001_wub: with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)3 template 9.5.1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Ever-ready streamline with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD July 7 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
This is a very pleasant soap that smells nice and which makes a rich, slick lather with minimal effort. An easy shave every time. I'd like the aftershave better if I wasn't so familiar with the real Acqua di Parma Colonia. The XXX Fresco is fine for what it is, but it really is a poor shadow of the real thing.

So the soap gets very high marks, while the splash gets a C+ or a gentleman's B-.

All the Razorock X, XX, and XXX soaps are outstanding. I can’t decide which of the scents I like most, but they are all beautiful.

XXX is a copy of Acqua di Parma Colonia, so it’s superb but counterfeit, which I can’t help but hold against it. Between the other two I waver. X is kinda like Oaken Labs Batavia Barber - sort of a sour laundry scent. But maybe XX is the one for me - harder for me to describe but a summery scent like the other two.

Top Bottom