What's new

Razorock Wunderbar

Hi guys,

I am currently using EJ DE89. It is the only DE Razor I've ever shaved with. However I shave daily and had much practice with it over these few months. I have been able to achieve BBS rather frequently but in some occasions will get razor burn and (less often now) weepers.

I feel that I need a more efficient razor to enjoy my shaves. I had my sights on a Gamechanger .84, either OC or not, depending if and when it is available. I had not been lucky enough to see it on sale.

Recently I have had the opportunity to purchase a Razorock Wunderbar. I am on the fence after reading reviews about it, with many praising its efficiency. But as a relative newbie to wet shaving will I regret this purchase and be turned off wet shaving if I buy this? I have researched how a slant works, and its like a G Slide built into the way it holds the blade. I do not like the G slide as I cut myself horribly when I tried it when I first started out haha! However I am open to learning if it is not so hard to pick up. So with that in mind, should I still get the Wunderbar for its efficiency?

All slants are not the same. The Wunderbar is one of the more aggressive ones. Meaning you will have to be on your toes with it, and it might be a tad much for everyday use. The Wunderbar is also quite expensive.

You might take a look at the Fatip Open Comb Slant, aka Lo Storto Originale. For $25-30 you will get a new all-brass razor that shaves as well as some of the more expensive ones, without being overly aggressive. If you don't like it, you can sell it here on the BST sub-forum and get most of your money back.

All slants are not the same. The Wunderbar is one of the more aggressive ones. Meaning you will have to be on your toes with it, and it might be a tad much for everyday use. The Wunderbar is also quite expensive.

You might take a look at the Fatip Open Comb Slant, aka Lo Storto Originale. For $25-30 you will get an all-brass razor that shaves as well as some of the more expensive ones, without being overly aggressive. If you don't like it, you can sell it here on the BST sub-forum and get most of your money back.

+1 on this. I concur 100%.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have heard the the Lo Storto Originale OC is a good slant , I have the Razorock Wunderbar and you need a light touch and good hand technique and it will perform very well. I also have the Razorock German 37 slant and that is a winner also(the 37 does have blade overhang were the Wunderbar does not), you might have to adjust the blade to top cap a little but not a big deal. Got BBS shaves off both razors, I enjoy the German 37 a little more because you can be a little more carefree. I like a two pass with slants WTG & ATG with pick ups and no more because they are very efficient and a person could over shave IMO. There are some nice slants out there that have recently been introduced like the Fatip slant and Parker semi slant.

Reactions: bjm

You might take a look at the Fatip Open Comb Slant, aka Lo Storto Originale. For $25-30 you will get a new all-brass razor that shaves as well as some of the more expensive ones, without being overly aggressive. If you don't like it, you can sell it here on the BST sub-forum and get most of your money back.
In my country sadly availability of certain razors is a big factor in my decision making. I do not necessarily need a slant, I want to try a more efficient razor, and stainless steel seems like a worthwhile investment. However the fatip offerings have caught my eye more than once, and I will look at your suggestion!

Ive got a Wunderbar and is a very aggressive and very efficient razor, not to mention its very well crafted. It certainly isnt my favorite as a man who sports a beard because the slanted head can make edging my jawline more challenging but you could make it work if you had to.
Its definetly not a razor to take lightly though and it will bite you if you dont use a light touch.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

+1 on this. I concur 100%.
A big +2 for the Fatip Lo Storto Originale. 🇮🇹

Wunderbar is very efficient & aggressive. It's a great razor, especially for slant fans, but I wouldn't jump to it if all you've used is mostly the DE89. Game Changer .84 or .68 (OC or SB) is probably the best next step to take. DE 89 is a good razor but if you're looking for more efficiency/better materials, GC will pleasantly surprise you. .68OC was in stock yesterday. I think Joe said on Twitter that GC SB's were coming in the week. Hope you find what you like.

Last edited:
Wunderbar is very efficient & aggressive. It's a great razor, especially for slant fans, but I wouldn't jump to it if all you've used is mostly the DE89. Game Changer .84 or .68 (OC or SB) is probably the best next step to take. DE 89 is a good razor but if you're looking for more efficiency/better materials, GC will pleasantly surprise you. .68OC was in stock yesterday. I think Joe said on Twitter that GC SB's were coming in the week. Hope you find what you like.
I fully agree with you! I actually went to purchase the Wunderbar at a good price.

The Wunderbar is very smooth, so much that I did not know that it is cutting until I ran my fingers over my face. However I would say that my technique is not up to scratch and I found it too aggressive with no feedback to gauge. The bulky head also did not help with the fool's pass. Wonderful razor, but not for a newbie like me!

If there are other DE89 users who wish to upgrade like me, I would like to offer my advice - DON'T! I found myself going back to the DE89 as it offers a smooth and enjoyable shave!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Recently I have had the opportunity to purchase a Razorock Wunderbar. I am on the fence after reading reviews about it, with many praising its efficiency. But as a relative newbie to wet shaving will I regret this purchase and be turned off wet shaving if I buy this?

I'm one of the ones who loves the Wunderbar! My advice is to pick one up, however...

It is aggressive. It can bite you. But don't let that scare you. It's also a really good tool for improving your technique as @Ron R has mentioned. You can do this one way or another, your choice:

1. Get the Wunderbar and some of your favourite blades (I like Astra SP). Whip up a nice thick lather and start in very gently, letting the weight of the razor do the work.

2. Get the Wunderbar so you have it, but "work up to it" by starting with a Parker Semi-Slant, iKon X3, Merkur 37C or the RazoRock German 37. As you get your technique dialled in through a series of slants, you'll gain the confidence you need to run the Wunderbar.

My rule with aggressive razors is that if I don't feel up to it on a given morning, I will get out a gentler razor and use that. This is not a test of manhood, and having survived to my age I have nothing left to prove in that regard.

Others, and I'm one of them, too, like the ATT S1 and S2 slants. Personally the S2 IS my Grail razor. It gives me such lovely shaves; as close as the Wunderbar but without being quite as aggressive. I've also started out with an aggressive razor by using it only WTG for the first several times, then switching to a more familiar razor for the rest of the shave. Then WTG and XTG, same deal; and finally going all in for a full 3-pass shave.

Or, given how efficient the Wunderbar is, doing a 2-pass (WTG/ATG) is enough. Even going slow it'll save you time.

At the moment the Wunderbar and the S2 are the only slants I have. Except for a Wardonia that is a lot like a devette, all my DE razors are slant.

Great razor! You won't regret it.

O.H.

Ron R

DE, SOTD, Wed, 2020

Razor: Razorock Wunderbar slant- Mfg 2017, great razor, mild touch good technique delivers excellent shaves.
Blade: Personna red(5) excellent DE blade, sharp and smooth good cost per shave if that matters.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers synthetic, great brush, reasonable back bone, soft tips, good scrub.
Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside- mild scent great lather qualities for protection and post shave IMO.
Pre shave:brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups.
Post shave:Razorock XXX with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse.
Results:9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated minor irritation+ no weepers= :a17: excellent shave with my RR Wunderbar Slant.

DE SOTD, Wed, July 8th, 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have a Wunderbar and I think it provides an awesome shave. I have been bitten by it, but it was due to a lapse in concentration and therefore totally my fault. If I want to use a slant on auto-pilot, I grab the RR German 37 for the day. I also have a Merkur 39C slant that I would put somewhere between the two for aggression and smoothness. I personally think the "aggression" attributed to the Wunderbar and the 39C (111 grams vs 77 grams for the 37C) comes from the weight of the razor more than anything else, but that's just my opinion; there is ABSOLUTELY no science behind that assessment whatsoever. I happen to have a Fatip OC slant somewhere between the UK and my mailbox that I am really looking forward to using. I wish you all a great shave today and a better one tomorrow...

Last edited:
My take on this for what it's worth, the Wunderbar is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I have a very very tough beard with sensitive skin. The 1st shave I had with this razor was an absolute dream. 2 days growth, BBS no issues. After that it got much much worse. Long and short of it is I cannot use this razor on a 1 day growth and even on a 2 day it's a bit hit and miss. Around my chin area it seems to irritate the skin a lot and weirdly, doesn't seem to do very well with cutting through very short tough chin whiskers. I'm about 8 months into wet shaving now so it could be my technique, but then again I can shave with an ATT s1 slant with no problems on a once a day shave. Oh also the head is far too big to get under the nose properly so you have to reverse the razor if you want all the hair off. It can be done so it's not a major issue but it is irritating. I also don't like the Halo titanium handle it now comes with, not enough grip for me. I'd say try an ATT slant, or if you can afford the extra, try a Rex Konsul that has just come out, I imagine that would give a smoother and more customisable shave. Mine comes on Tuesday.

I'm sure OP has already made their decision, but I'll weigh in anyway. I had my first shave with the Wunderbar yesterday and I didn't find it all that different to the German 37 in terms of aggressiveness, It is certainly heavier (mine has the barber pole handle, which is also grippy), but the blade feel was about the same, I thought.

It is unquestionably more efficient than the 37, though. I only shave W/X and for two passes, and the results were pretty impressive for a first outing. It's a razor I could use every day without issue. I like it, a lot. :)

Reactions: bjm
My take on this for what it's worth, the Wunderbar is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I have a very very tough beard with sensitive skin. The 1st shave I had with this razor was an absolute dream. 2 days growth, BBS no issues. After that it got much much worse. Long and short of it is I cannot use this razor on a 1 day growth and even on a 2 day it's a bit hit and miss. Around my chin area it seems to irritate the skin a lot and weirdly, doesn't seem to do very well with cutting through very short tough chin whiskers. I'm about 8 months into wet shaving now so it could be my technique, but then again I can shave with an ATT s1 slant with no problems on a once a day shave. Oh also the head is far too big to get under the nose properly so you have to reverse the razor if you want all the hair off. It can be done so it's not a major issue but it is irritating. I also don't like the Halo titanium handle it now comes with, not enough grip for me. I'd say try an ATT slant, or if you can afford the extra, try a Rex Konsul that has just come out, I imagine that would give a smoother and more customisable shave. Mine comes on Tuesday.
Out of curiosity, how do you compare the Konsul to the Wunderbar? I've been contemplating the Konsul for a while now but don't know what to do! I recently realized I much prefer aggressive razors. It started with the Merkur 37c, but realized I got better shaves with the Fatip Lo Storto OC. Still not totally satisfied, I got an R41, which has been the best yet. But I'm looking for something with a bit better blade clamping and build quality. On my list, I have the Wunderbar (which I just ordered), Konsul, Ambassador, Blackbird Ti, and Blutt BR-1 1.20 plate. Any insights?

Last edited:

Ron R

Out of curiosity, how do you compare the Konsul to the Wunderbar? I've been contemplating the Konsul for a while now but don't know what to do! I recently realized I much prefer aggressive razors. It started with the Merkur 37c, but realized I got better shaves with the Fatip Lo Storto OC. Still not totally satisfied, I got an R41, which has been the best yet. But I'm looking for something with a bit better blade clamping and build quality. On my list, I have the Wunderbar (which I just ordered), Konsul, Ambassador, and Blackbird Ti. Any insights?
Enjoy your RR Wunderbar, if you like a close shave with some blade feel it should work out for you. I use a light touch with my Wunderbar and works well, I used it for 7 days continuous but it was not meant for daily shaving for myself, I still like to get it out once in a while ( i have a large razor rotation)and it is well made with very accurate machining as you will find out soon. I use a steeper angle because of the curved head design works well and only 2 passes with touch up is all that is needed I found. Enjoy!

Enjoy your RR Wunderbar, if you like a close shave with some blade feel it should work out for you. I use a light touch with my Wunderbar and works well, I used it for 7 days continuous but it was not meant for daily shaving for myself, I still like to get it out once in a while ( i have a large razor rotation)and it is well made with very accurate machining as you will find out soon. I use a steeper angle because of the curved head design works well and only 2 passes with touch up is all that is needed I found. Enjoy!
Thanks! Any idea how it compares to the other razors i mentioned?

I have the Wunderbar and Ambassador. I would rate them on par with each other in blade feel and "aggression," at 3-4 on the Ambassador's range. I find 1 & 2 incredibly mild, 3-4 in Wunderbar range, 5-6 is highly aggressive (Famex, Le Coq caged comb, original Tradere range). I have heard, but have not experienced, that the Konsul is less toothy, but equally efficient.

Edit: If you want better blade clamping and efficiency than the R41, you may want to step over to a different platform. I do not have a 41, but the DS Cosmetic V2, which is supposedly a direct analog. One of the Artist Club drivers might be headed that way for you. I highly recommend the Occam Oren, as very comfortable, but incredibly efficient(but it uses a floating blade). The RR Hawk Aggressive plate is excellent with a bit more blade feel, then the Asylum RX V1, which requires a very light touch but is nuclear-napalm to stubble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom