What's new

Razorock Wunderbar Slant - First Impression - WOW

Context: Been using a 2013 Muhle 41 with feather and Mergress with feather. The Wunderbar is my first slant.

The razor itself: tolerances of the parts are very tight, including the fit of the blade into the head. Hefty, solid razor.

First shave: Shower, shave oil, Proraso Red shave cream face lathered. Nearly or just as aggressive as the Muhle, but so much smoother. I found my angles immediately (best was with blade nearly or precisely perpendicular to my face, and was able to shave in long strokes without the carefulness required with the Muhle--very quick shave, therefore. The rounded head made getting right underneath my nose difficult, and I finished this small area with the Muhle. The Wunderbar gave me a BBS quicker than either of my other razors, and I felt immediately confident with it--I'm impressed.

The Wunderbar quickly became my favorite razor after using it a few times. Very efficient, not overly aggressive, and it's so smooth and forgiving it feels like using a milder razor, but with the efficiency of a more aggressive one. I only need two passes and achieve something between a DFS and BBS.

I like that razor, too. Surprisingly smooth for an aggressive razor. Unfortunately, it is hard to get.

I have my Wunderbar on deck for today's shave. I see that Italian Barber has them in stock right now, sporting the new Titanium Halo handle.

Congrats on the new razor, slants are great!

I guess I'm in the minority: Much as I wanted to love the Wunderbar, it's a bloodletting machine in my hands. Tried different blades, different handles, different angles.....and still, more nicks and cuts than I've experienced with any other razor. It's a head scratcher to me, no idea why I seem to get such different performance from the razor than some, unless there were some changes made to the Wunderbar at some point, which I doubt.

Anyway, enjoy the shaves, It's awesome when a new razor arrives and works out great for you like that!

I have my Wunderbar on deck for today's shave. I see that Italian Barber has them in stock right now, sporting the new Titanium Halo handle.

Mine has the old steel handle and I can definitely see why he changed it over to the Halo Ti handles. Too heavy. I tried it with the halo handle of my Ti Baby Smooth and it's much better and much easier to control during the shave.

Yeah, Mine was from the first batch and has the SS handle as well. I didn't have a titanium handle so I tried an aluminum handle, but that didn't really help for me, and the balance wasn't great.

I actually just bought one of the Titanium halo handles from IB, but it doesn't want to screw all the way on to the Wonderbar head. Works fine on all my other razor heads, however. Go figure. But yeah, the Titanium handle makes much more sense for the Wunderbar.

Mine has the old steel handle and I can definitely see why he changed it over to the Halo Ti handles. Too heavy. I tried it with the halo handle of my Ti Baby Smooth and it's much better and much easier to control during the shave.

I've never tried a Titanium handle, but I actually like the SS handle that came with mine. The weight, balance and grip work great for me. So there's your ymmv...;)

Very interesting - thanks for sharing. I'm a big R41 fan myself, so while the last thing I need is a new razor, I just may have to give this one a spin ;-)

I wanted one but not a fan of the halo handle. Wish they still sold it with the ikon handle. Maybe a used one will show up one day

My wife was just about to order one from italianbarber as part of my birthday present when they suddenly went out of stock again.

A bit bummed, but then on her own she found the ATT S1 and asked me what I thought. Told her it was a nice razor, but damn expensive, and left it at that.

I'm a lucky guy.

This razor is absolutely top notch in performance and quality. I just got one of these after many months of researching slant razors. Luckily I got mine gently used and paid about 30% less than full price so it made it easier to swallow. I have a hard time justifying buying a new razor over $100...but in this case knowing now how well it performs on my face I probably would have paid full price for it. It really doesn't even feel like the blade is touching your face when you shave with it, almost like it's hovering over top of your skin painlessly cutting the whiskers like a guilotine :behead:.....I did nick myself slightly one time under my chin but that was my fault due to putting too much pressure on the razor because it felt like nothing was happening, totally my fault. All in all though this razor is money well spent and will stay in my collection forever. I highly recommend it.

This razor is absolutely top notch in performance and quality. I just got one of these after many months of researching slant razors. Luckily I got mine gently used and paid about 30% less than full price so it made it easier to swallow. I have a hard time justifying buying a new razor over $100...but in this case knowing now how well it performs on my face I probably would have paid full price for it. It really doesn't even feel like the blade is touching your face when you shave with it, almost like it's hovering over top of your skin painlessly cutting the whiskers like a guilotine :behead:.....I did nick myself slightly one time under my chin but that was my fault due to putting too much pressure on the razor because it felt like nothing was happening, totally my fault. All in all though this razor is money well spent and will stay in my collection forever. I highly recommend it.

Each time I use that razor I'm amazed at how efficient it is compared to my straight bar razors. It really is a two-pass razor for me. I very rarely need to touch up anything.

It is seriously the best money I spent on any razor. It's making me really consider selling off my other SS (and a Ti) razors.

Top Bottom