What's new

RazoRock “What the puck.

Been working with this soap for about 3 months using it exclusively and I’m here to tell you this is some serious crap.
I can lather anything and get a decent shave. Not this stuff. Anything is way better, Williams,Arko,Cella, Ivory, anything.
There's a lot of people here that like it. It's a hard soap, so you might need to load more using a firm brush. I've found it works well when used like a shaving stick. It's along the same lines as Pre de Provence.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Been working with this soap for about 3 months using it exclusively and I’m here to tell you this is some serious crap.
I can lather anything and get a decent shave. Not this stuff. Anything is way better, Williams,Arko,Cella, Ivory, anything.
Use it for bath soap then. I happen to like What the Puck soaps. Granted they are not MdC, but neither is the price. WTP is way better for the price than what Modern Williams goes for these days.

~doug~

Hi Gsurko, Recall many of your posts and noticed that we like many of the same shaving soaps (Williams, Arko, Van Der Hagen, etc.) and tend to build lather in similar fashion directly on the puck in our shaving mugs. Also noticed that we both prefer synthetic brushes.

Confused a bit on your above post as back in March where you stated in a Razorock What-the-Puck thread that "I think RAZOROCK hard soaps are smartest buy in shaving soap. Long lasting, slick, cushioning, smell good". Sounded like you were able to lather this soap and realize great shaves back then. (Links to your March, 2022 posts below) What changed?

My experience with this soap has been excellent. Posted on my first use (last link below) that was great first experience. Since then I've been able to trim/mold the puck into one of my apothecary mugs for regular use for continued great shaves with my synthetic brushes. At $2.99 a puck on sale this is one of the best values out there and per my analysis in the below post the soap uses a formulation that is identical or similar to a number of far higher cost products.

Gsurko Prior Razorock What-the-Puck Posts (#'s 52 & 48 in thread):

My What-the-Puck Black Shaving Soap Review and Analysis (post # 62):

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I find Razorock "What the Puck" soaps very good and I bought 3 different ones some years ago and they are still in my soap rotation. I find they are average or better soaps for lather protection and work with natural or synthetic brushes. The scent might turn a person off with the orange or lime "What the puck" but I like them a lot and the Blue Barber is my favorite.
I bowl lather so I cut a few slivers off the hard puck with my pocket knife into the bowl and press them in the bottom of bowl.
Then all I do is wet the brush squeeze out excess water not in the bowl (2 flicks will work) and stir until paste start to thicken up a little add some some drops of water by hand or mister and stir some more and repeat until lather is your desired optimum 1-2 minutes later and the lather is ready. It is just one of the easiest soaps to make lather with I have found.
(RR Blue barber "what the puck" with a synthetic brush...................RR Blue barber with a silver tip badger no problem.
Brush collage, Dec 6, 2021 .jpg
Brush collage, Dec 5, 2021 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Hi Gsurko, Recall many of your posts and noticed that we like many of the same shaving soaps (Williams, Arko, Van Der Hagen, etc.) and tend to build lather in similar fashion directly on the puck in our shaving mugs. Also noticed that we both prefer synthetic brushes.

Confused a bit on your above post as back in March where you stated in a Razorock What-the-Puck thread that "I think RAZOROCK hard soaps are smartest buy in shaving soap. Long lasting, slick, cushioning, smell good". Sounded like you were able to lather this soap and realize great shaves back then. (Links to your March, 2022 posts below) What changed?

My experience with this soap has been excellent. Posted on my first use (last link below) that was great first experience. Since then I've been able to trim/mold the puck into one of my apothecary mugs for regular use for continued great shaves with my synthetic brushes. At $2.99 a puck on sale this is one of the best values out there and per my analysis in the below post the soap uses a formulation that is identical or similar to a number of far higher cost products.

Gsurko Prior Razorock What-the-Puck Posts (#'s 52 & 48 in thread):

My What-the-Puck Black Shaving Soap Review and Analysis (post # 62):

Just stopped working for me.

I have a Razorock hard soap and I find it lathers quite well. FWIW, here's what works for me.

I don't put brushes directly on soaps. For hard soaps, I peel some off the puck with a vegetable peeler and press the soap into the bottom of my bowl. Then I wet my synthetic brush and shake it so the brush is damp (not dripping wet) and start swirling on the soap. Then I use a fingertip sprayer to slowly hydrate the lather as I'm swirling the brush. Even with hard soaps this technique forms a great lather for me.

For soft(er) soaps, I use a 1/8 teaspoon measuring spoon to scoop about that amount of the soap, but everything else I do the same: Start swirling using damp (not dripping wet) brush and slowly hydrate the lather using a fingertip sprayer. I get great lather within a minute or two.

The shaves became noticeably less and less protective and seem have lost slickness. Also some face burning.
Thank you for the response. Curious, saw that you purchased the 4 pack six months ago. I what order did you use the soaps (black, blue, green and yellow) and did the deterioration in performance occur after a change to a different version?

Reason for the question is that while the base ingredients for all four What-the-Puck(WTP) soaps are the same the trace ingredients used for scent, including the activated charcoal in the yellow, are different. Wondering if when you switched to a different WTP scent if the trace ingredients caused some type of reaction resulting in discomfort or, as you noted, skin burning sensation.

An allergic reaction to one of the WTP soaps trace ingredients would be a logical explanation for the sudden change in performance of a soap that is well regarded by most B&Bers. Also, if you have any unused pucks from your 4-pack you may find that the remaining puck or two, with different trace ingredients, will provide the same excellent performance you first realized.

I'm using WTP lime at the moment. Bought this puck from Pasteurs in 2018. I'm not having any issues loading with a boar and face lathering. Don't know if the formulation has changed.

I won a RR WTP Blue/Barbershop (along with other soaps) from the recent St. Sue Moore Memorial Auction, and because of this thread, I decided to try the WTP this morning. For me, many hard/milled soaps work best if I use them like a shave stick (most likely because I prefer synthetic brushes), so I popped the soap out of the tub, rubbed the edge side on my whiskers and face lathered. The lather was nice with decent slick, not airy at all, but it might take a few tries to really dial this one in. Unfortunately, the scent was a little on the weak side, and I prefer stronger (but not overwhelming) scents.

I won a RR WTP Blue/Barbershop (along with other soaps) from the recent St. Sue Moore Memorial Auction, and because of this thread, I decided to try the WTP this morning. For me, many hard/milled soaps work best if I use them like a shave stick (most likely because I prefer synthetic brushes), so I popped the soap out of the tub, rubbed the edge side on my whiskers and face lathered. The lather was nice with decent slick, not airy at all, but it might take a few tries to really dial this one in. Unfortunately, the scent was a little on the weak side, and I prefer stronger (but not overwhelming) scents.
I agree. I do the same with hard soaps, I rub them into my whiskers and then face lather. If you just swirl a soft brush on top of the soap, you don't usually get enough product on the brush and the lather can be thin and weak... you need to load enough product.

This is one reason I don't like to "load" my brush directly on the soap. I used my Razorock hard soap just this morning: Peeled some with a vegetable peeler, pressed it into the bottom of my bowl, and started in on it with a damp brush. Got a great lather!

Top Bottom