What's new

razorock what the puck triple milled shave soaps

I have all 4. Excellent soaps! I get great face lathers with badger, boar and synths
with them. I ended up grating them and pressing each into standard size empty
soap containers. Stacks nice.

I am looking forward to your assessment, thank you for posting.
Used the "What the Puck" (WTP) Black Label fougere scent for the first time today. Utilized my softer Razorock Monster 26mm loft synthetic, Weishi Long Handle razor and a Derby Extra blade on shave #21 (yes not a typo, separate thread on this). Adjusted my lathering method a bit since I was using the puck in its plastic container vs my deeper apothecary mugs. Just loaded the brush on the puck for about 45 seconds and went directly to face lathering. I normally start building lather in a mug before completing the process via face lathering.

Soap quickly bloomed into a nice dense and slick lather during face lathering. Added water to the brush a couple times during the process for best lather quality. Lather did not dissipate at all and left behind plenty of residual slickness. Plenty of soap for my typical 2.5 (2 full passes plus touch-up) shave with a decent amount of lather left over. Noticed that the residual post-shave soap was easier to rinse off my face after the shave. No likely benefit from mixing with super lathering ingredients as I so with my other soaps - WTP works great on it's own.

Enjoyable soap scent that was still noticeable from the lather, though much lighter than the puck itself, during the shaving process. From a shaving performance perspective I'd place it right up there with my Van Der Williams Blends, Arko, Williams and MWF though with the latter two a boar brush is required to generate similar quality lather. While I also like Arko/Williams soap scents (of course Arko is much stronger) many will prefer the WTP scents.

From a value perspective at $2.99 on sale plus shipping for a 3.5oz/100 gram puck (let's say $4 U.S. including fair share of shipping charge) this soap is a great value compared to other options out there with ingredients that are similar to those in much more expensive soaps. It's right in there in the budget soap range of Arko/Williams ($2 for a similar quantity of soap - note Williams discontinued) and Van Der Hagen at $4 -$5 for the same size puck yet it delivers an experience with much more of a premium feel that punches well above it's price class when on sale. Right now, if you want to save a couple bucks and don't care about the scent, Arko is the best overall value (of the above hard puck/stick soaps) in pure shaving performance that is still available (in packs of 12 for this price). If you care about scent, or just don't prefer the Arko scent, then WTP is a great option. I will happily use both as part of my ongoing rotation. Look forward to using the WTP green and blue once I 3017 a current soap or two to free up an apothecary mug.

Noticed that when the puck is left open to the air that the scent starts to dissipate, similar to other soaps. Sense that to maintain scent the soap should be kept covered versus left in an open mug as is my typical approach.

Bottom line is this soap, especially when on sale, is a great option for those looking for a quality shave soap at a budget price. Fully agree with other B&B members who have recommended WTP as an alternative for other discontinued budget soaps like Williams.

Note that this is a larger 3" diameter puck that will require some shaving to fit into my apothecary mugs. Have seen videos on-line of others using a stiffer boar brush so know the soap will also work well with my boar if desired though not necessary.

I also took a look at the WTP ingredients in comparison to other soaps that typically sell for higher price points and found a lot of similarity outside of those for color (e.g. titanium dioxide) or scent. Stuck with a sample of non-tallow based shaving soap pucks for comparison purposes. Further evidence of the value here. Details as follows:

Ingredients Comparison:

Razorock WTP Black puck 100 grams/3.5 oz. $2.99 sale price/$5.99 regular price
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Acid, Glyceryl Caprylate Caprate, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Lanolin, Pentasodium Pentatate, Tetrasodium Etidronate,Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Citronellol, Geraniol, Linalool, alpha-Hexylcinnamaldehyde, d-Limonene, 4-(4-Hydroxy-4-methylpentyl)cyclohex-3- enecarbaldehyde, 4-Allyl-2-Methoxyphenol.

Goodfellas’ Briar Wood puck (smaller 60 gram puck for $7.99 on Italian Barber)
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Acid, Glyceryl Caprylate Caprate, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Lanolin, Pentasodium Pentatate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Art of Shaving Sandlewood puck 3.3 oz for $34
Potassium Palmitate, Sodium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Water (Aqua), Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance, Lecithin, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Titanium Dioxide (CI77981), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Iron Oxides (CI77491)

Taylor of Old Bond puck 100 grams/3.5 oz for $18.99:
Potassium palmate, sodium palmate, potassium palm kernelate, sodium palm kernelate, glycerin, aqua, parfum, palm kernel fatty acid, sodium chloride, prunus amygdallus dulcis oil, allantoin, pentasodium pentate, tetrasodium etidronate, titanium dioxide.

Pré de Provence No. 63 Shaving Soap puck 150grams/5.25 oz. for $15.00
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Water (Aqua), Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Chloride, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii), Pentasodium Penetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Sunflower (Helianthus Annuus) Seed Oil, Citronellol, Coumarin, D-Limonene, Eugenol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

Note that the ingredients data come from on-line retail sites that may not always reflect the latest formulations.

I have all 4. Excellent soaps! I get great face lathers with badger, boar and synths
with them. I ended up grating them and pressing each into standard size empty
soap containers. Stacks nice.
Thanks, had a great 1st use today. See above. Agree will need to shave and grate at least part of puck to fit my containers. Curious, do the scents hold up over time if the soap is left uncovered?

Been using the blue with a Parker brush. The mid level $32 dollar badger. I leave it in the open. Doesn't fit in the container anymore. I find it really easy to lather. 20 seconds loading with a wet brush, 20 seconds for yogurt consistency in scuttle. Nice scent. Good performance. Not as slick as my tube of Proraso Red, but good. Blue reminds me of a masculine Dove soap bar.

Razorock says the soaps are made for them by a family run
soap company in Italy that still does triple milled.

I've read from a few different sources that the same company makes
soaps for some more expensive brands. I think the ingredient lists supports that.

They run sales on the set of 4 for $12.99 occasionally, and $10.99 sometimes!
You can not beat the quality at double that price.

Last edited:
Was lazy today, brought the puck in the shower, rubbed on face and applied by hand. Fantastic lather and it was really slick. BBS, 2 passes

Finally freed up one of my apothecary mugs for my "What the Puck" (WTP) Black Label fougere soap puck. Had to trim the puck so it would fit. Found that the WTP, while definitely a hard soap, is malleable (like Arko sticks) and was able to easily push the trimmings onto the puck core in the bottom of the mug.

Much easier to use now that I can start the lather process on the puck vs just loading. Scent does dissipate now that the soap is in an open container. Still endorse this soap per my April 21st post #62 above as an excellent performer and great value when on sale.

Sir, ask and you'll receive. :001_smile

1. Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver Beta 4.3
2. Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia Beta 4.3
3. RazoRock Plague Doctor Super Formula
4. RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore
5. Cella Extra Extra Bio
6. La Toja
7. Pre de Provence N°63
8. Pre de Provence Bergamot and Thyme
9. Haslinger Schafmilch V2
10. Haslinger Honig V2

Good evening Marco.

I've read many of your posts and have to say, your style of writing is admirable and gripping!

Would you please be so kind as to let me know your current top 10 shave soap\creams, assuming they may of changed slightly in the last few years!

All the best,
John.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Good evening Marco.

I've read many of your posts and have to say, your style of writing is admirable and gripping!

Would you please be so kind as to let me know your current top 10 shave soap\creams, assuming they may of changed slightly in the last few years!

All the best,
John.
Dear John,

Thank you for the beautiful words!

Sure, here you are:

1. Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia Beta 4.3
2. Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver Beta 4.3
3. (Another SV Beta 4.3 still to be chosen)
4. La Toja
5. Proraso Green
6. Proraso Blue
7. Pre de Provence N°63
8. Pre de Provence Bergamot and Thyme
9. Haslinger Schafmilch
10. RazoRock Plague Doctor

Top Bottom