What's new

Razorock Switch and Lupo are live

Got an email today and gave the Switch a good look, actually a very long look. Neat idea but I came to the conclusion that the obvious disadvantage is the lack of a rigid blade. You would want this for a straight.

It just makes more sense to me to use it as a traditional safety razor for that reason.

I found myself wondering if a rigid blade, maybe one that can be honed, could be fabricated to fit. An SE version might be a better option I think.

Got an email today and gave the Switch a good look, actually a very long look. Neat idea but I came to the conclusion that the obvious disadvantage is the lack of a rigid blade. You would want this for a straight.

It just makes more sense to me to use it as a traditional safety razor for that reason.

I found myself wondering if a rigid blade, maybe one that can be honed, could be fabricated to fit. An SE version might be a better option I think.
The blade doesn't have to be super rigid because even when you wield it like a shavette, it still has a safety bar. So it's not REALLY a shavette, it just pretends to be one. When you use it like a shavette, you are essentially just shaving with a Tech clone that has the handle sticking out the side instead of the bottom of the razor.

Lupo (black) came in the mail today - website now offering a gold and silver finish. It is lightweight (1 oz) 90 mm or 3.5 inch aluminum handle which is an exact duplicate of the Charcoal Goods Bishop handle. The head covers the tabs and is the ends are rounded like the Gibbs. The profile and configuration are an exact Wolfman WR1 duplicate but the gap is not published so if anyone has the proper gauges perhaps we can get a measurement and a comparable shave can make sense. Since it's the weekend I don't need a shave but will try it in a few days.

Got my Lupo today and I agree with @AJSharp it is definitely a WR1 with side tab covers. Thru a Feather Blade in and got a very nice 3 pass shave. Too early to make a good decision on it but was very happy with the first shave. I don’t have a gap measure but based on feel with first shave I am guessing it is close to a Wolfie.61

Got my Lupo today and I agree with @AJSharp it is definitely a WR1 with side tab covers. Thru a Feather Blade in and got a very nice 3 pass shave. Too early to make a good decision on it but was very happy with the first shave. I don’t have a gap measure but based on feel with first shave I am guessing it is close to a Wolfie.61

Hmm, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger.

I don't like blade feel, but razors with a negative exposure are tough in obtaining a close enough shave.

I typically gravitate towards a lower gap, as I like a smooth shave. My favorite is my rockwell 6s on 2 or 3.

I've never used a Wolfman. Would you say it is a smooth shave... Especially when going ATG?

Thanks.

I don't like blade feel, but razors with a negative exposure are tough in obtaining a close enough shave.

I typically gravitate towards a lower gap, as I like a smooth shave. My favorite is my rockwell 6s on 2 or 3.

I've never used a Wolfman. Would you say it is a smooth shave... Especially when going ATG?

Thanks.
Based on only one use, my experience was that there was some blade feel but minimal, the angle needs to be dialed in for the best shave, just like a WR1 in lower gaps. My ATG pass was very smooth, it is my 3rd pass and there was no tugging, just a smooth uneventful shave.

Thanks.
I have never used a Wolfman either and also prefer small blade gap so very interested to see if it will work for my sensitive skin so I pulled the trigger last night and ordered both especially interesting to try Switch in straight mode to shave the neck

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Based on only one use, my experience was that there was some blade feel but minimal, the angle needs to be dialed in for the best shave, just like a WR1 in lower gaps. My ATG pass was very smooth, it is my 3rd pass and there was no tugging, just a smooth uneventful shave.
what is the best angle with this?

I've settled on DE as my razor type going forward and I've been very satisfied with every Razorock product I've purchased, so I ordered a silver Lupo. Based on the razors I've liked in the past and from the descriptions, sounds like I made a good decision.

I had a shave with my Lupo and I really liked it. Mild but very efficient shave. I was BBS in 2 passes . No nicks or weepers in a Polsilver blade. I found it easy to find the right blade angle and it gave good audible feedback . If they made it in stainless , I’d be very happy with it. Although I’m very happy with it now. To me, it looks like a smaller , lighter Bevel razor. .

I too had a fantastic shave with the Lupo yesterday. This is machined perfectly. Although I am supporter of Above the Tie razors and the copper H Windsor is among my favorites, the Lupo seems to show that a quality aluminum razor doesn’t have to cost $100.

I can’t recall if I’ve ever had an aluminum razor in the past. For those of you that don’t like aluminum I’m curious why? Is it primarily an issue of weight...aluminum being too light?

From a quality standpoint I think I would prefer a quality machined aluminum razor to zamak.

I’m not disagreeing with anyone’s viewpoint as I don’t have an aluminum razor, just curious what it is about aluminum that might make it problematic for a de razor?

Thanks.

Had my first shave with the Lupo last night. I’m impressed. I won’t say it’s better but I will say it’s at least as good as my WR1 .61 & efficiency feels closer to the .67 - imo I believe they managed to increase the size of the sweet spot - for $30 it should be called the Game Over razor!!
I’m fairly certain this is the very best $30 razor ever made. I was initially concerned with the light weight of aluminum so I took turns using a SS handle during each pass & IMO I preferred the full aluminum set up. For some reason, full aluminum provided a smoother feel during each stroke.

Overall, I’m very happy with my purchase & feel very confident in recommending this razor.

Hats off to IB for taking on this project & executing at such a customer friendly price. I was certainly skeptical when the Lupo was originally announced. I figured the Wolfman craftsmanship could not be mass produced. In some respects that remains true but honestly - in many respects they succeeded amazingly well. While fit & finish of Wolfman is always top notch - the Lupo is no slouch. I found the tolerances to be extremely tight between top cap & baseplate. No movement in the blade once seated & no chatter during the shave. Beyond aesthetics, which were still really nice, IB nailed the stuff that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quality of the Lupo matches or exceeds the quality offered in the ATT Calypso aluminum razors and is MUCH cheaper. Hopefully RazoRock will make additional plates for the Lupo.

I can’t recall if I’ve ever had an aluminum razor in the past. For those of you that don’t like aluminum I’m curious why? Is it primarily an issue of weight...aluminum being too light?

From a quality standpoint I think I would prefer a quality machined aluminum razor to zamak.

I’m not disagreeing with anyone’s viewpoint as I don’t have an aluminum razor, just curious what it is about aluminum that might make it problematic for a de razor?

Thanks.
I’m of the opinion people on this forum will ALWAYS nitpick regardless of what the product is :)

Top Bottom