RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday June 7, 2023
Razor: L2OC
Blade: Dorco Prime (2)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Peppermint Trip

A fairly quick shave this morning so I could get out and get the last of the planting done.

Re: blades -- I also find the Dorco Primes easy to load.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Closer than L3SB ? and more comfortable ?

I'm not Tanuki, nor do I play him on television, but I have recently sat down with him to dispose of a bit of surplus rye. :)

I do, however, have both the L3SB and L2OC. Setting aside the whole idea of knowing the actual numbers, it looks like the "L2++OC" is at the very top of the aggression range for Level 2 while the L3SB is at the very bottom of the aggression range for Level 3. "Near as darnit" as my grandfather would have said.

In practice that means that the L2OC feels substantially similar to the L3SB. Possibly just a touch more bladefeel, as one would expect. Both are very smooth and comfortable shavers. They're not the same, but they're both great razors.

O.H.

Old Hippie

SOTD: Friday June 9, 2023
Blade: Dorco Prime (3)

Great shave today. I paid a bit more attention to the parts that need it, instead of just going once over lightly. Slapped on a few drops of Nivea Sensitive Men and headed out to do chores.

I think next week I'll at least start with the L1OC just to see how it is. I have one razor that I sometimes call "The Doctor" -- it's the Rex Konsul -- because I can shave with it after doing a bit of damage with some other more aggressive razor. I have the cautious hope that the L1OC might be another one. That'd be great for traveling, since I stay in cheap motels and often have less than optimal conditions in which to shave.

O.H.

Sunday Afternoon Shave:

L3++SB
Gillette Swede (The original, not the current platinum) #2
RazoRock Hive Mokasoft HD 24mm Synthetic
D.R. Harris Arlington Shave Soap
Saint Sue Bay Rum w/ A Twist A/S Milk

Somehow, the Swede is sharper than my Feathers! This is my 2nd shave w/ the Swede loaded in this razor and I have had weepers each time- 3 today and 2 on my last shave. The only change in my last shave was the brush and the A/S; I used a Zenith Copper Manchurian XXL 28mm and Aqua Velva.

The Swede is known for its smoothness, which may be why I'm having the weepers. 2 passes each with some buffing on the chin has been all that's needed w/ this razor. The blade is so smooth, that when completing my passes, I may not be paying the proper attention and we know what that means.

By the time I rinse, CW splash, and then A/S, the weepers are closed- I haven't had to use the alum block to shut them down.

It's 9 hours after my shave and I am still in faceturbation glory. I'll be glad once I get the hang of the Swede, but then again, I only have 2 more tucks squirreled away- never thought this blade would be discontinued at the time but here we are.

marty

I haven't read through this entire thread, but is there a consensus of a blade that shaves great in this and that isn't a struggle to work in it? My favorite Personna Lab Blues is impossible to get to work in this. I have a L3++OC that I haven't used yet in addition to my original L3. Thanks
Perspnna lab blues work great in mine. What about it doesn't work for you? I find most blades work in these really well clamped slants.

SOTD: Friday June 9, 2023
Blade: Dorco Prime (3)

Great shave today. I paid a bit more attention to the parts that need it, instead of just going once over lightly. Slapped on a few drops of Nivea Sensitive Men and headed out to do chores.

I think next week I'll at least start with the L1OC just to see how it is. I have one razor that I sometimes call "The Doctor" -- it's the Rex Konsul -- because I can shave with it after doing a bit of damage with some other more aggressive razor. I have the cautious hope that the L1OC might be another one. That'd be great for traveling, since I stay in cheap motels and often have less than optimal conditions in which to shave.

O.H.
I like the konsul. But for how expensive it is, it's really inferior I'm every way to the super slants. I really doubt you can get a blade torqued and clamped better than you can with the wunderbar and super slant. I'd be impressed if anyone ever came out with a superior slant design. I mostly just keep the konsul because it's pretty

Old Hippie

Yesterday's shave...

SOTD: Monday June 12, 2023
Razor: L1OC
Blade: Dorco Prime (1)

The L1OC is noticeably milder than the L2OC. No surprise. I found it a smooth and fairly fast shave, with perhaps a bit more cleanup to achieve the result I wanted. A day along and I notice more stubble than usual, which would fit with having used a mild razor. I won't get too deep in the details until Friday.

O.H.

Anyone use Nacets, Polsilvers, Wizamets with this? Also wondering about the below tier blades like Sharks, Lords, Permasharps.
Haven't tried those, but I have found Personna Israeli RedPlatinum and the German replacements for those blades load quite easily as do the German Wilkinson Sword (which may be the same blades with a different logo on them). The Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow Sharp Edge blades take a bit more effort to load. With the Personna and Wilkinson blades, I can just push down the base plate and screw on the handle. With the 7 O'Clock blades you need to turn the handle with some effort until the blade "clicks" into place.

Top Bottom