What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

As I wrote earlier, I wanted to compare (subjective assessment of course) two steel slant from RazoRock, i.e. Wunderbar (WB) with Superslant (SS) with the L3 plate.
IMG_20230116_140101.jpg

IMG_20230116_140113.jpg
Shaving (comparison) of razors took place with several blades, Gillette Platinum, Nacet, Triton, Astra, Perma-Sharp.WB is a specific machine, ... As I use it a lot of time in rotation with other machines, each time I use it again, after a long break, it shows me its "specificity" ...

According to the manufacturer, it is aggressive and very efficient .... But as you know, everyone will feel it differently (and the scale of the manufacturer's aggressiveness, well, everyone assesses it individually). that it's not a cuddle... It's very insidious, despite the gentle feeling of the blade on the skin, you can be quite surprised and check what a piece of scalp removed from the head or face is.

This is the specificity of the machine I wrote about, i.e. the right angle and pressure. Once you find it (angle) and will be able to hold it for the entire shave without pressing the razor, then with these two conditions met, you can
shave very well, gently but very effectively.....
If one of these two "specific" conditions is not met, it may result as above .... Cutting .... Or simply irritation and average shaving ...
Personally, it took me about 5 to 6 shaves to get to know this razor .... Now, when I use it in rotation with other razors, i.e. I take a break and want to come back to it, I have to remember it again, but it's already on the second shave, it's very good .

So, for me, the razor is very effective (it works very well for me), gentle, but provided that the conditions I wrote about are maintained.

IMG_20230116_140015.jpg

So now SS L3...

Here, the manufacturer also writes about the scale (plates) of aggressiveness ... According to him, the L3 plate is the most aggressive so far, and from several other available plates you can "soften" it. The manufacturer also writes that the L3 and L2++ base plates are the closest to WB itself .... Is it so ...

In my opinion, these are two completely different machines, with a different scale of aggressiveness, a different feeling of the blade on the skin, and how I perceive the effectiveness hmmmm ...

That's a different story, SS is more aggressive than WB, the blade feels more pronounced which makes it kind of "safer" to use so you know when you can jam and WB can cut without warning.

I didn't have to "learn" the razor for the next 5 or 6 shaves....
In the case of SS, the second shave was very good ... So, as you might guess and probably some already know, this razor does not have the "specific" feature as with WB with looking for an angle, here it is easy and the expression is palpable when you find it, and with keeping it right there is no problem...

As I wrote, the razor is more aggressive for me (it is not an aggressor) but the increase in this level is much noticeable compared to WB, so there is nothing to exaggerate with pressing the razor here.
In my opinion, the effectiveness of SS is on a very similar level to WB, which is very good, while smoothness can be obtained a little faster than WB ... Because in SS there is no need to "look for" the angle, but with increased aggression, greater feeling of the blade on the skin i.e. something for something.

IMG_20230116_140034.jpg
In short, to sum up, I've read on the forums comparisons of these razors to each other .... Others say that one is better, others differently, and still others do not see the difference ... For me, both WB and SS, I am able to shave very well on a smooth only with these few small differences that I wrote about earlier, it is not without significance, of course, to use the appropriate plate ... But as everyone knows, it's an individual matter.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Monday January 16, 2023
Razor: RazoRock Superslant L3SB
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Arko

Feeling quite pampered by two weeks of shaving with the Konsul and now two weeks ahead with the Superslant. One requires the ability to set adjustments to maximize technique; the other requires the ability to use technique to adjust the shave. Both give stellar shaves, but I'm giving a very slight nod to the Superslant. It's a game of millimetres. Micrometres? Nanometres? Anyway...

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m not in a hurry. I’ll wait until I can buy just the SuperSlant head without the handle. I have both Timeless Ti Crown handles, as well as two Stirling stainless steel handles waiting in the wings.

I’m still unsure which SuperSlant head to purchase but Aaron is most likely correct: one of the more mild heads might be the best match for me.

hey so I get that there's this razorock superslant with different aggression levels but which other razorock slant razors are there out there's? Sorry bit confused

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@saj , the other RazoRock slants are the Wunderbar and the “German” 37.

The Wunderbar is a CNC-milled steel head like the Super Slant series (though only one plate) and the “German” 37 is a zamack head that looks like a modern Merkur 37C/39C slant, but I’m told it isn’t as smooth.

The “German” 37 has exposed blade tabs, so head shavers may need to be cautious around the ears and face shavers ought mind their nose on WTG/XTG passes, but it’s very good razor.

SOTD: Monday January 16, 2023
Razor: RazoRock Superslant L3SB
Blade: Astra SP (1)

Feeling quite pampered by two weeks of shaving with the Konsul and now two weeks ahead with the Superslant. One requires the ability to set adjustments to maximize technique; the other requires the ability to use technique to adjust the shave. Both give stellar shaves, but I'm giving a very slight nod to the Superslant. It's a game of millimetres. Micrometres? Nanometres? Anyway...

O.H.
In my opinion - Å

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
As I wrote earlier, I wanted to compare (subjective assessment of course) two steel slant from RazoRock, i.e. Wunderbar (WB) with Superslant (SS) with the L3 plate.
View attachment 1589240

View attachment 1589241Shaving (comparison) of razors took place with several blades, Gillette Platinum, Nacet, Triton, Astra, Perma-Sharp.WB is a specific machine, ... As I use it a lot of time in rotation with other machines, each time I use it again, after a long break, it shows me its "specificity" ...

According to the manufacturer, it is aggressive and very efficient .... But as you know, everyone will feel it differently (and the scale of the manufacturer's aggressiveness, well, everyone assesses it individually). that it's not a cuddle... It's very insidious, despite the gentle feeling of the blade on the skin, you can be quite surprised and check what a piece of scalp removed from the head or face is.

This is the specificity of the machine I wrote about, i.e. the right angle and pressure. Once you find it (angle) and will be able to hold it for the entire shave without pressing the razor, then with these two conditions met, you can
shave very well, gently but very effectively.....
If one of these two "specific" conditions is not met, it may result as above .... Cutting .... Or simply irritation and average shaving ...
Personally, it took me about 5 to 6 shaves to get to know this razor .... Now, when I use it in rotation with other razors, i.e. I take a break and want to come back to it, I have to remember it again, but it's already on the second shave, it's very good .

So, for me, the razor is very effective (it works very well for me), gentle, but provided that the conditions I wrote about are maintained.

View attachment 1589242

So now SS L3...

Here, the manufacturer also writes about the scale (plates) of aggressiveness ... According to him, the L3 plate is the most aggressive so far, and from several other available plates you can "soften" it. The manufacturer also writes that the L3 and L2++ base plates are the closest to WB itself .... Is it so ...

In my opinion, these are two completely different machines, with a different scale of aggressiveness, a different feeling of the blade on the skin, and how I perceive the effectiveness hmmmm ...

That's a different story, SS is more aggressive than WB, the blade feels more pronounced which makes it kind of "safer" to use so you know when you can jam and WB can cut without warning.

I didn't have to "learn" the razor for the next 5 or 6 shaves....
In the case of SS, the second shave was very good ... So, as you might guess and probably some already know, this razor does not have the "specific" feature as with WB with looking for an angle, here it is easy and the expression is palpable when you find it, and with keeping it right there is no problem...

As I wrote, the razor is more aggressive for me (it is not an aggressor) but the increase in this level is much noticeable compared to WB, so there is nothing to exaggerate with pressing the razor here.
In my opinion, the effectiveness of SS is on a very similar level to WB, which is very good, while smoothness can be obtained a little faster than WB ... Because in SS there is no need to "look for" the angle, but with increased aggression, greater feeling of the blade on the skin i.e. something for something.

View attachment 1589243In short, to sum up, I've read on the forums comparisons of these razors to each other .... Others say that one is better, others differently, and still others do not see the difference ... For me, both WB and SS, I am able to shave very well on a smooth only with these few small differences that I wrote about earlier, it is not without significance, of course, to use the appropriate plate ... But as everyone knows, it's an individual matter.
Great photos and looking at the RR Super slant it has around 9 to 10 /1000 of inch blade exposure approximately where the base plate looking at your front view of the RR Wunderbar has those small side strips along the blade edge area that makes the true blade exposure of the Wunderbar not accurate to measure by a photograph IMO.
Still decent photos and I like to compare blade exposure. I use the blade in the razor 3.5/1000 of inch usually as a gage to see how it compares to photo actual exposure. The photo could be off a little so accuracy is questionable and from what the fellows are saying about the shave it could be less than 9/1000 of a inch & that can change by just by the operator could be riding the bar or the riding the cap IMO.
I have a RR Wunderbar so have been following this thread for some time.
(click photos to enlarge)
RR Super slant L3 1.1 (2).jpg
RR Wunder bar slant 2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Old Hippie

hey so I get that there's this razorock superslant with different aggression levels but which other razorock slant razors are there out there's? Sorry bit confused

No problem. It's one of those questions that can take a while to answer once you start looking into it.

Bear in mind that my answer only relates to what they've done since I've been paying attention. There may be other slants in the RazoRock arsenal. Consider this "representative" but not "comprehensive." Unless it is, by accident. :)

Generally RazoRock has produced a steady series of improvements in their slants and have also created a pretty faithful replica of the Merkur slant they call the "German 37." They don't seem to mess with the G37, so I consider that kind of a separate offering. As it sits it's what the Merkur ought to be, so no need to fool with it.

The first slants I'll mention were the "Stealth" slants, modeled if I recall on the Globusmann design. Although the first three versions of the Stealth were aluminum, I believe, the fourth version was stainless. I have one of the stainless ones and it's a solid chunk of steel. Perfect for the gravity-powered shave. :) Or driving nails. (I really do like it!)

The Stealth is a bit milder. I think the fix for the Stealth was the Wunderbar, modeled if I remember on the Mulcuto design. I don't believe the Wunderbar has had serial versions, though there were probably some minor tweaks. The Wunderbar is a very well built aggressive slant and demands a high level of technique.

The Stealth is discontinued but occasionally pops up for sale here and there. The Wunderbar may or may not be discontinued -- it has a strong following and one thing I wouldn't want to do is anger a bunch of people who have really sharp aggressive razors to wave at me. :)

The Superslant is gradually coming into production as a re-visioning of the Wunderbar. What we have so far is suggestive; many of us are waiting for additional options such as OC plates. Not to be a spoiler, but I'm probably going to dig into the Superslant in a few iterations for this year's Tilted Picnic Slant Circus; probably starting in March.

O.H.

@saj , the other RazoRock slants are the Wunderbar and the “German” 37.

The Wunderbar is a CNC-milled steel head like the Super Slant series (though only one plate) and the “German” 37 is a zamack head that looks like a modern Merkur 37C/39C slant, but I’m told it isn’t as smooth.

The “German” 37 has exposed blade tabs, so head shavers may need to be cautious around the ears and face shavers ought mind their nose on WTG/XTG passes, but it’s very good razor.
Thanks bro

So is the German 37 same sort of shaver as the merkur 37c?

No problem. It's one of those questions that can take a while to answer once you start looking into it.

Bear in mind that my answer only relates to what they've done since I've been paying attention. There may be other slants in the RazoRock arsenal. Consider this "representative" but not "comprehensive." Unless it is, by accident. :)

Generally RazoRock has produced a steady series of improvements in their slants and have also created a pretty faithful replica of the Merkur slant they call the "German 37." They don't seem to mess with the G37, so I consider that kind of a separate offering. As it sits it's what the Merkur ought to be, so no need to fool with it.

The first slants I'll mention were the "Stealth" slants, modeled if I recall on the Globusmann design. Although the first three versions of the Stealth were aluminum, I believe, the fourth version was stainless. I have one of the stainless ones and it's a solid chunk of steel. Perfect for the gravity-powered shave. :) Or driving nails. (I really do like it!)

The Stealth is a bit milder. I think the fix for the Stealth was the Wunderbar, modeled if I remember on the Mulcuto design. I don't believe the Wunderbar has had serial versions, though there were probably some minor tweaks. The Wunderbar is a very well built aggressive slant and demands a high level of technique.

The Stealth is discontinued but occasionally pops up for sale here and there. The Wunderbar may or may not be discontinued -- it has a strong following and one thing I wouldn't want to do is anger a bunch of people who have really sharp aggressive razors to wave at me. :)

The Superslant is gradually coming into production as a re-visioning of the Wunderbar. What we have so far is suggestive; many of us are waiting for additional options such as OC plates. Not to be a spoiler, but I'm probably going to dig into the Superslant in a few iterations for this year's Tilted Picnic Slant Circus; probably starting in March.

O.H.
Thanks for clarifying

I find some of the razorock razors to be confusing when u see the names with the point whatever number is followed by it like lupo .68

Old Hippie

SOTD: Wednesday January 18, 2023
Razor: Superslant L3SB
Blade: Astra SP (2)

Still doggedly pursuing the end of the Arko. Got some distance yet to go. Lather quality is good with it; as good as the soap I make. Not in love with the smell, but I can live with it while it's here.

I got down in the weeds this morning trying to sort out a slight change to technique. I thought I mighta gotten a little close to the bone once, but no pink; no sting. It's a win.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
SOTD: Wednesday January 18, 2023
Razor: Superslant L3SB
Blade: Astra SP (2)

Still doggedly pursuing the end of the Arko. Got some distance yet to go. Lather quality is good with it; as good as the soap I make. Not in love with the smell, but I can live with it while it's here.

I got down in the weeds this morning trying to sort out a slight change to technique. I thought I mighta gotten a little close to the bone once, but no pink; no sting. It's a win.

O.H.
All these posts giving credence to the RR SuperSlants.... and @Old Hippie 's recommendation for the ATT X1 AC Slant, have me taking a closer look at the SuperSlant. I have a game plan for 2023 razor purchases and now have the SuperSlant down as a "will end up buying by the end of the year" category. I haven't seen anyone who doesn't really like theirs. Thanks to @Old Hippie , @Chan Eil Whiskers and @LRod , I'm loving my ATT X1. The SuperSlant seems to be in the same category.

I’m not in a hurry. I’ll wait until I can buy just the SuperSlant head without the handle. I have both Timeless Ti Crown handles, as well as two Stirling stainless steel handles waiting in the wings.

I’m still unsure which SuperSlant head to purchase but Aaron is most likely correct: one of the more mild heads might be the best match for me.
I just ordered the SuperSlant L3 head from Gifts and Care (giftsandcare.com). If you use the coupon code, GandC15, it costs $81.48 delivered to the US. I have ordered from Gifts and Care before and have never had any issues. Not that I'm trying to tempt you to buy another razor ...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just ordered the SuperSlant L3 head from Gifts and Care (giftsandcare.com). If you use the coupon code, GandC15, it costs $81.48 delivered to the US. I have ordered from Gifts and Care before and have never had any issues. Not that I'm trying to tempt you to buy another razor ...
I have enough handles... just what I wanted... I'm looking now. I've ordered from their site before and have had great experiences. Thx.

I assume you already own the SuperSlant top cap...right?
The "head" that is for sale is actually only the base plate...
I don't think that's correct. I just double checked on the Gifts and Care site, and it clearly says "head" and shows both the top cap and base. I know that Italian Barber doesn't sell a compete SuperSlant head, only a complete razor or a separate base plate

Top Bottom