What's new

Razorock SLOC replacement

I started my de shaving journey with the RR MJ90a.

Moved up to Razorock SLOC.

Now looking for something new with a little more efficiency than the SLOC without open comb.

Also not looking to break the bank.

Suggestions for ones available in UK.

Many thanks

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The RazoRock Mentor; sold elsewhere as the Maggards V3A; may be an affordable increase in efficiency. Same with RazoRock’s “German” 37 slant razor. As @Jay21 said, there’s also their Lupo series and I think the Game Changer 0.84p would also fit your requirements.

The Pearl Blaze, Pearl Hammer, and straight bar Pearl Flexi should also fit the bill.

I started my de shaving journey with the RR MJ90a.

Moved up to Razorock SLOC.

Now looking for something new with a little more efficiency than the SLOC without open comb.

Also not looking to break the bank.

Suggestions for ones available in UK.

Many thanks
Canaught Shaving. Bottom tier price range. Top tier performance. Fatip Gold Grande

IMG_2765.jpeg

Welcome to B&B Happy Shaves

Thank you all for your replies. I am in Boston MA in a week or so so may get something ordered. Budget up to $50 I think.

Any non razorock suggestions

Thank you all for your replies. I am in Boston MA in a week or so so may get something ordered. Budget up to $50 I think.

I failed to notice “without open comb”. Fatip has closed & even half & half combs. In your price range.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
As said the German slant is a fine razor, I would also say the Parker semi slant is in the same ball park as the German.

The Pearl Hammer is a outstanding razor for me. Soiled brass, CNC machined and two different base plates, OC and SB all for around $40. For me it's a no brainer

If you are in the US and are able to order a razor. This might be a great opportunity to pick up a vintage Gillette that isn't easily available in the UK.

If you can order while in the states, here are some possibilities.

First, keep your current handle if you like it. Then, as @thombrogan suggested, you could look at some of the Maggard Razor heads. They are pretty cheap and you can get several together and still fall below your budget. That way you can try various ones out and decide which one you like the best. It's a cheap experiment.

These are listed in increasing aggressiveness:

This one is advertised as mild, but users say it is aggressive:

If you can order while in the states, here are some possibilities.

First, keep your current handle if you like it. Then, as @thombrogan suggested, you could look at some of the Maggard Razor heads. They are pretty cheap and you can get several together and still fall below your budget. That way you can try various ones out and decide which one you like the best. It's a cheap experiment.

These are listed in increasing aggressiveness:

This one is advertised as mild, but users say it is aggressive:

I did look at these. I couldnt find much about them it terms of comparisons. Thnking about the Peal Hammer now, vs the Mentor, or A slant

stumbled across this:
Thors Hammer. Anyone heard of it? - I think they are in the UK
Also the ottoman.

As said the German slant is a fine razor, I would also say the Parker semi slant is in the same ball park as the German.

The Pearl Hammer is a outstanding razor for me. Soiled brass, CNC machined and two different base plates, OC and SB all for around $40. For me it's a no brainer
I think I am going for the Pearl Hammer. Reviews say this is quite a jump in agression? would you agree

Also the ottoman.

Those look like EJ89/Muhle r89 clones with a bad powder coating. If I was in the market for that head design, I'd skip those and go straight to the original. If the powder coating looks that bad in the cherry picked examples for the photoshoot, what's the one that arrives in the mail going to look like?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I think I am going for the Pearl Hammer. Reviews say this is quite a jump in agression? would you agree
I've never used the SLOC razor but I've a Mellon head which is I use quite often. I've heard the both are pretty close in efficiency.

The Hammer for me is way more efficient than the Mellon head. Two passes WTG XTG plus a couple of slight touch ups and I've a BBS every shave so far.

For me the OC base plate is smoother than the SB. The teeth on OC are nice and rounded which gives a wonderful gives smooth shaves. But then again you may prefer the SB.

Good luck with the Hammer and let us know how you're getting on.

Top Bottom