What's new

Razorock sloc blade choice

I am getting a rr sloc for Christmas and want to know what type of blade I should choose? The local store here has derby extra, personna, and feather. What would be a good blade?

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Blade choice is a personal thing. Everyone has there own perfect blade for them. I use the SLOC exclusively for my head shaves and load with a GSB. If you're new to wet shaving you should buy a tuck of each and find which blade suits you best. Alternatively you could build your own sample pack on Maggard's or get a sample pack off Amazon.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I use GSB, Gillette Platinum, Nacet or Feather in my SLOC. I have some Derby Extra's I will give you if you want.........

Well that's nice of you I always take free stuff. I just don't know how I would get them. I am differently in need. Have you ever used the paa doc original?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Well that's nice of you I always take free stuff. I just don't know how I would get them. I am differently in need. Have you ever used the paa doc original?

Never used a PAA DOC, looks similar to a SLOC. But I do love my open comb razors. Merkur 15C, Piccolo, Schöne, SLOC, and a GC 84 OC on the way. All under $30 except the Game Changer 84 OC at $64. Can't go wrong with any of those. I had a Gillette New Short Comb that I really liked, but I gave it away to a needy soul. They can be found on fleabay for around $15.

If you are in the US, PM me your address and I will mail you a 10 pack of Derby Extra's and a 5 pack of Bic Chrome Platinum's.

20191206_235004[1].jpg

The SLOC with titanium handle is not included!

Happy shaves
Doug

I have similar razor, the Yaqi DOC. My experience is that of the blades I use (Derby Extra, Premium, Gillette Platinum and Gillette 7oC green (Russian ones)) all work well in this style of razor. Enjoy your razor on Christmas Day!

Enjoy the new hardware!

For me, any new razor means that I need to work through the many options in my blade stash.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am getting a rr sloc for Christmas and want to know what type of blade I should choose? The local store here has derby extra, personna, and feather. What would be a good blade?

Of the three brands you have listed, Personna (Israeli Platinum Red and Med Prep) and Feather would be my choices. :)

YMMV

Depending on your experience with de shaving I have suggestions:
1) Been de shaving less than one year. Start with the Derby & use the Derby for 30 consecutive shaves. Then try the Personna for 30 consecutive shaves. Decide which gives you a better shave & get some. Reevaluate your blade choice every 6 months or so. Keeps it interesting & makes us study & learn what you like on an ongoing basis.

I don't have a blade recommendation as I use Astra SP in everthing. But I would like to compliment you on your choice of razor, a competent and versatile tool you have selected.

I don't have a blade recommendation as I use Astra SP in everthing. But I would like to compliment you on your choice of razor, a competent and versatile tool you have selected.
Thanks!!! It was between this and the paa doc. I am hoping that the sloc will be able to buff and the self lubricating part of it will help.

I have yet to try the Feathers in my RR SLOC, but I have done well with Astra SS (blue) and Astra SP (green). Order some from Maggards, so you won’t be limited to local stores...

Ok so I have shaved with this razor for a couple of days now. I have to say this razor is awesome. I feel like this razor can do everything. It's just aggressive enough to make you pay attention but mild enough to shave in a rush. The double open comb I feel works great. I can feel the extra water when I rinse then put it to my face. I'm blown away. I know I will probably still buy more razors because it's fun but I really don't think I can top this one.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It is a very good shaving razor in my view of it. Buffing marvel it is, the SLOC. Also I love the look of the double open comb and that it is an homage to a great old design.

It's too bad the razor is not made in SS, but maybe it will be one day. To many, the design is a classic and a beauty. You don't find many who try it and don't like it.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

For me, there's only one DE blade for any razor. Not saying it's the blade for you, but it's worth a try.

If there are any performance downsides to the SLOC I don't appreciate them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ok so I have shaved with this razor for a couple of days now. I have to say this razor is awesome. I feel like this razor can do everything. It's just aggressive enough to make you pay attention but mild enough to shave in a rush. The double open comb I feel works great. I can feel the extra water when I rinse then put it to my face. I'm blown away. I know I will probably still buy more razors because it's fun but I really don't think I can top this one.

what blade did you use after all? 🤔

Top Bottom