What's new

Razorock Slant

It is the German 37 with a bamboo handle. The handle that originally shipped with them has messed up threads.

The German 37 is a good slant. Not overly aggressive, but very smooth and efficient. And priced right. And the bamboo handle has to be much better than the one that shipped with them originally.

Thanks for the input.
So messed up threads is no longer an issue?

I assume it isn't, since the original handle was apparently a production issue that affected all of the handles as far as the threads being boogered up and then the German becomes available on a Bamboo handle. Seems like Joe knows there is a problem with the original handle and is offering an alternative.

I got the German 37 head only because it was a clone of the Merkur 37c which is my first and still favorite slant. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was a two piece razor and I prefer three piece razors so I can swap handles. The German 37 shaved almost as good as my Merkur, so you will be getting a good razor head with that deal, and a stainless steel handle cloned from the ATT design only adds more weight and control to it. Go ahead and take a chance. It's not like you're dropping $130 on a Wunderbar.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Love my Razorock German slant, but the threads ARE a PITA..... Wonder if he would swap 'em out? It's just a matter of time before I strip 'em out.....

The threads on the German Slant could be smoother. I just have to be a little more careful than usual. But not too much careful. On the Italian Barber site, the handle looks the same. Description says its now made with machined steel. Oh, I just noticed. You can buy either handle with the 37 Slant head.

The German 37 is an excellent razor at an exceptional value. I've experienced zero problems with the threads. The finish isn't flawless, but it doesn't affect the razor's functionality.

I bought the bamboo handle separately and mated it with my chrome Hawk. It's also a great value.

I received my RR German Slant today. I immediately tried switching handles to see if there would be a problem.
No problem what so ever. I put the handle from my Merkur 23C on the RR and it went on smooth. Don't know what the combination would shave like though. Still trying to perfect my technique on my regular razors and am a little
leery of trying the slant yet. I'll get there.

strop

Now half as wise
I just got the German 37 about a week ago and have been using it daily, and am quite happy with it. It has been so long since I used the Merkur though, that I can't compare them. Gave the Merkur to my son several years ago. I ordered the head and the stainless handle separately, and really like the heft it gives it.

I have the German 37 and the handle is great on mine. No issues with the threads. I also have a weber handle and the two are almost identical. The craftsmanship of the weber is better, but not by a material amount.

You will have to mess with the blade alignment each time you shave. It is the only razor I own where I have to make a conscious effort to check the blade and readjust several times to get it right.

FarmerTan

I have the German 37 and the handle is great on mine. No issues with the threads. I also have a weber handle and the two are almost identical. The craftsmanship of the weber is better, but not by a material amount.

You will have to mess with the blade alignment each time you shave. It is the only razor I own where I have to make a conscious effort to check the blade and readjust several times to get it right.
Yes, blade alignment is touchy with that one.

FarmerTan

Alignment touchy with the German 37? Not in my experience.
I think I got either the first one made or one that slipped past QC.... She shaves GREAT, just difficult to keep from stripping the threads and lining up the blade. I solved it by putting a $1 plastic Japanese handle on it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I got the RR slant and put it on the RR barber pole handle with no threading issues ... Like any other. ?

AA

Blade alignment, yes. Threading, not really bad, it turns out. I changed my handle to the Merkur 33C handle and like the lighter handle.

I tried my RazoRock German 37 slant for the first time this morning. Perma-Sharp blade, Saponaficio Varesino Dolomiti soap, Edwin Jagger Silvertip Synthetic Brush. I'm not generally a "slant" guy. I've used a couple and they were ... ok. So I wasn't expecting a lot from this $20 razor. Zamak head; 316 stainless handle. But it gave me a great shave. A great shave. The combination of comfort and closeness really impressed me. Glassy smooth results, including all the little places that a less-than-perfect razor will not entirely get. This razor is a great bargain.

BTW, my handle threads smoothly to the head, and I don't see any alignment problems.

P.S. Really like the Perma-Sharp blade. Looks like it's made in Turkey. First time I've used one, but another non-US Gillette winner. Works as well as GSB and Nacet for me so far, and that's a compliment.

FarmerTan

I tried my RazoRock German 37 slant for the first time this morning. Perma-Sharp blade, Saponaficio Varesino Dolomiti soap, Edwin Jagger Silvertip Synthetic Brush. I'm not generally a "slant" guy. I've used a couple and they were ... ok. So I wasn't expecting a lot from this $20 razor. Zamak head; 316 stainless handle. But it gave me a great shave. A great shave. The combination of comfort and closeness really impressed me. Glassy smooth results, including all the little places that a less-than-perfect razor will not entirely get. This razor is a great bargain.

BTW, my handle threads smoothly to the head, and I don't see any alignment problems.

P.S. Really like the Perma-Sharp blade. Looks like it's made in Turkey. First time I've used one, but another non-US Gillette winner. Works as well as GSB and Nacet for me so far, and that's a compliment.
It's easily my most boring shaver, lol. I have not yet tried shaving blindfolded, but I'm sure this would be the razor I tried it with, ha.

Seems a lot of people think the slight variance in visible blade exposure on a slant razor - pretty much any slant razor - is an alignment issue. I see, to varying degrees, this so-called issue in all four slants I own, from the $20 German 37, the pricier SC102 and X3, to the $100 Wunderbar. It isn't an issue, IMO, because it certainly doesn't affect performance. In fact, I think it's an intentional design characteristic.

Top Bottom