What's new

RazoRock Showdown - Lupo .95OC vs. SuplerSlant L3

About 6 months ago I purchased a RazoRock Lupo .95OC from Italian Barber. I had read so many rave reivews about it here on the Forum, and it seemed to check off all of the right boxes for me: very efficient, not too aggressive, small and maneuverable head, all stainless steel and under $100. I was not disappointed in any way. I swapped the handle out and replaced it with the RazoRock Titanium Halo handle, since I think the light weight handle pairs better with the Lupo's small and light weight head. Over the past six months, I think that the Lupo has become my favorite DE razor, narrowly edging out my brass Karve Christopher Bradley G plate, Blackland Dart and Muhle Rocca.

So why buy yet another razor? As they say of the mountains - "because it's there." The SuperSlant, like the Lupo, immediately garnered a great deal of praise around here. My history with slants is not great; I've owned 3 or 4 and have sold them all. But the design intrigued me, so I purchased a SuperSlant L3 from Pasteur Pharmacy, and with the help of a discount coupon was able to keep this order just under my self-imposed $100 limit. (Actually I purchased an L2++, since I already had an L3 plate, but that is another story for another day). The SuperSlant checked off most of the same boxes as the Lupo, except for the small and maneuverable head. The SuperSlant head is heavy and bulky, although I have found it to be surprisingly maneuverable. Once again I swapped out the handle, opting this time for a RazoRock Bulldog handle that I had sitting in my drawer. I tried the Titanium Halo, but I found that the heavy head pairs better (for me) with a heavier handle. Here's a look at the two razors side by side:

RazoRock Razors.jpg

The Lupo ways in at 2.70 oz. as shown, while the SuperSlant is a hefty 3.89 oz.

Of course, the big question is how do they perform? I've already said that the Lupo is perhaps my favorite DE razor, but did the SuperSlant move it off of that spot? Maybe. I used the SuperSlant daily for a week, and had nothing but wonderfully smooth BBS shaves. No cuts, no weepers, no irritation. After a couple of shaves I became quite proficient and maneuring it under my nose, which I expected to be problematic given the large size of both the razor head and the nose. To better determine which one of these razors would sit at the top of the heap, I did side by side shaves with the two of them for the past two mornings. Yesterday, the SuperSlant was first up on the right side; today the Lupo was first up on that side. What becomes very obvious when using both razors for the same shave is how different they feel in the hand, and how similar they feel on the face. Since the SuperSlant is about 45% heavier, it's no surprise that it lacks the "zip" of the Lupo. But neither razor has more than moderate blade feel and both smoothly ride over the skin without any hint of irritation. And the results? The right side wins both times! As a righty, I seem to always get a closer shave on that side. This verdict has been verified by my wife, who is always the final arbiter (about pretty much everything).

Which one would I recommend? In the ongoing tradition of this Forum, the clear answer is "both".

Thanks for the review!

Never tried the Lupo but acquired the L3 recently.
Still looking for the right handle (I don't like RR handles) but the head it a true marvel.
I have very close shaves and it's hard to not find the right angle.

Thank you Iridian but I don't handles with knurling - or it needs to be more subtle like Merkur or UFO. For this head I'm looking for a 3 inches handle, a bit heavy to match the head and if possible with no knurling at all like the progress or the future. Or maybe like the Yates but polished. Not found it yet... I you have an idea... 🙏

Thank you Iridian but I don't handles with knurling - or it needs to be more subtle like Merkur or UFO. For this head I'm looking for a 3 inches handle, a bit heavy to match the head and if possible with no knurling at all like the progress or the future. Or maybe like the Yates but polished. Not found it yet... I you have an idea... 🙏
There are lots of Yaqi and DS Cosmetics stainless steel handles available on AliExpress. Maybe something like this would work for you?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I you have an idea... 🙏
You can try the polished or unpolished Yaqi SS handles, they have quite some by now. I like the 88mm spiral handle a lot,t his one also has some grip. Their polished handles are bit more slippery, but as you heretically dislike knurling, more matte or satin finish handles usually offer more grip than polished or machined ones. You can also try the Timeless or West Coast Shaving handle collection, some have knurling, others not. Also notice, the pattern on the Timeless Ti Crown handle, a favorite on this board, are NOT knurling but a checkerboard pattern...^^

But to get back to the Viper handle: If the Razorock Super Knurl was too spikey for you, this one is more rounded but still gives great grip. Alternatively DSCosmetic has electropolished handles, their knurling is... totally round and slippery. They also have spiral and other pattern handles.

Hey, thank you, that's really helpful!
I never had an issue with a slippery handle. My preferred razor is the Progress, so far, and it works perfectly.
I always have dried hands when I shave, though (to be honest I don't really understand by people shave with slippery wet hands hands full of soap 🤫).
I have looked at the Yaqi and DS Cosmetics and I currently have a selection of 3 + the barbaros handle unfortunately out of stock:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have looked at the Yaqi and DS Cosmetics and I currently have a selection of 3 + the barbaros handle unfortunately out of stock:
I use the Bullet handle myself for their Sentinel/Wolfman WR2 clone head, it's quite grippy despite high polish.
I also like this one, but doesn't fit every razor, it hasn't been polished, but looks good as it is.

There are quite some handles for sale in the USA and Britain, but getting things from China is ironically... almost cynically, imo, faster and less effort with customs and tax than buying there by now.

I still think you should take a look at Timeless handles at Maggard's or their very own website! :)

This is the Yaqi Lupo DC clone with their "Milano" handle, which wasn't on my radar as it is small diameter and so on, but it turned out to be a favorite of mine that also fits the Lupo well. This one for the Yaqi as it is polished, the 88mm handle fits the Razorock Lupo Heads very well.

The Yaqi 88mm handle with the RR Lupo head.

Sentinel with the "Bullet" handle

Yates 921M (got the EH plate later) and their standard handle

Thanks!
I think I'll go for some Yaqi.
I'm not a bit fan of timeless, Maggard and WCS handles from an aesthetic stand point.
In modern razors, I love the Karve CB and all Blacklands.
I like the Yates too but not as much as CB and Blackland.
Thanks very much for your help, I think I've made some progress here!

Can't beat Yaqi or DSC for polished handles. But they sometimes do not clean off the milling scum from the threads. Also, DSC occassionally over polish their handles resulting in shallow knurling. Yaqi so far is better.

About 6 months ago I purchased a RazoRock Lupo .95OC from Italian Barber. I had read so many rave reivews about it here on the Forum, and it seemed to check off all of the right boxes for me: very efficient, not too aggressive, small and maneuverable head, all stainless steel and under $100. I was not disappointed in any way. I swapped the handle out and replaced it with the RazoRock Titanium Halo handle, since I think the light weight handle pairs better with the Lupo's small and light weight head. Over the past six months, I think that the Lupo has become my favorite DE razor, narrowly edging out my brass Karve Christopher Bradley G plate, Blackland Dart and Muhle Rocca.

So why buy yet another razor? As they say of the mountains - "because it's there." The SuperSlant, like the Lupo, immediately garnered a great deal of praise around here. My history with slants is not great; I've owned 3 or 4 and have sold them all. But the design intrigued me, so I purchased a SuperSlant L3 from Pasteur Pharmacy, and with the help of a discount coupon was able to keep this order just under my self-imposed $100 limit. (Actually I purchased an L2++, since I already had an L3 plate, but that is another story for another day). The SuperSlant checked off most of the same boxes as the Lupo, except for the small and maneuverable head. The SuperSlant head is heavy and bulky, although I have found it to be surprisingly maneuverable. Once again I swapped out the handle, opting this time for a RazoRock Bulldog handle that I had sitting in my drawer. I tried the Titanium Halo, but I found that the heavy head pairs better (for me) with a heavier handle. Here's a look at the two razors side by side:

View attachment 1605952

The Lupo ways in at 2.70 oz. as shown, while the SuperSlant is a hefty 3.89 oz.

Of course, the big question is how do they perform? I've already said that the Lupo is perhaps my favorite DE razor, but did the SuperSlant move it off of that spot? Maybe. I used the SuperSlant daily for a week, and had nothing but wonderfully smooth BBS shaves. No cuts, no weepers, no irritation. After a couple of shaves I became quite proficient and maneuring it under my nose, which I expected to be problematic given the large size of both the razor head and the nose. To better determine which one of these razors would sit at the top of the heap, I did side by side shaves with the two of them for the past two mornings. Yesterday, the SuperSlant was first up on the right side; today the Lupo was first up on that side. What becomes very obvious when using both razors for the same shave is how different they feel in the hand, and how similar they feel on the face. Since the SuperSlant is about 45% heavier, it's no surprise that it lacks the "zip" of the Lupo. But neither razor has more than moderate blade feel and both smoothly ride over the skin without any hint of irritation. And the results? The right side wins both times! As a righty, I seem to always get a closer shave on that side. This verdict has been verified by my wife, who is always the final arbiter (about pretty much everything).

Which one would I recommend? In the ongoing tradition of this Forum, the clear answer is "both".
My Lupo .95OC also typically is adorned by a RR Ti Halo and I agree with the balance. Never even touched a slant of any kind, and I am perfectly happy with my Lupo's, .95OC and DC .95SB/.72OC combo - so yes I'll probably stir the pot and try a SuperSlant of some variety. I might wait for the release of the OC plates, as I tend to prefer the extra lubrication to the blade.

Thanks for the thread, was interested in this very comparison.

Top Bottom