What's new

RazoRock Satin Silver Hawk: First Shave

Today was actually my second time using the Hawk, and any SE razor for that matter. But the first shave was with a Feather PG blade, which I ended up finishing the shave off with a DE. Yesterday, my order of Feather Pro blades arrived, and today was the first 100% SE shave of my life.

I have to say at this point, verbiage is a serious issue on this website haha... Years ago I decided I had no interest in AC style blade SE shaving because of people talking about how "aggressive" they are (RE: Cobra Classic). While I've never tried a Cobra Classic, and won't unless it's gifted to me, the Hawk is just extremely friendly IMO. But I digress...

The Feather Pro blade, IMHO, seems rather mild actually, compared to it's DE brethren. I went cautiously through the first stroke down my cheek, but after feeling some slight tugging, I decided to speed up the stroke, which pleasantly smoothed out the feel.

The razor provided a lot of blade feel and audible feedback, which was nice. Although, I don't think I really needed any help to find the angle; it was pretty intuitive. And perhaps because of the rigidity of the blade or the length of it, or a combination of the two, it just seems initially, like a very very friendly shaver. I don't know that I'll dub it "mild" yet. But it's definitely the easiest shaver I own.

The results were pretty similar to what I found using the PG blades. Not a super close shave. Closer with the pro blade than with the PG for sure, but still not anything to write home about. So, I'm going to use this little guy for the next two weeks to get acquainted and see if there's something I'm missing in getting a closer shave.

But even if I don't get closer, who cares? It brought me to DFS in the worst places. And at the end of four full passes, I thought I felt a little tingle on my jaw and upper lip like maybe I went a pass too far and irritated my skin. But after a generous splash of AV onto a totally dry face, I realized I have no idea what the tingle was about. I could've been splashing cool water on my face for all the burn I got from it. That was amazing for me. Usually when I try mild razors, they irritate my skin pretty badly.

I think this little guy just became my best friend. Currently I get a slightly better shave from my Merkur 37 with the same post-shave results in terms of comfort. But I'll give the edge to the Hawk in that I don't have to fidget with blade alignment, and I don't have to think about shaving angle. It's just the easiest razor I've ever used. Shaving for dummies... I like it!

Sounds like a winner. I haven't tried the Hawk and reviews like this make resisting it hard.

You sir are denying yourself a simple and inexpensive pleasure, if i may be so bold... haha

And if it turns out it's not a pleasure, PIF it! There, now it's a pleasure no matter what!

:a14: Same experience here!

AC blades are not as sharp as people would have you believe.

Try the Kai Mild PINK blades. Same level of sharpness but they hold their edge good...

AC blades: Kai Captain Sharp...Kai Mild Pink

One more item closer to free shipping on IB... Thanks for the info! I'm going to finish these pros (will probably give away the PGs) and then I'll give those a try.

We've talked on other threads; I decided today, I'm working on my personal demand for BBS as an opportunity for growth haha. It's great when I get one, but some days, and with some razors (like I was saying with the Feather) if I could be okay with a DFS, I'd have a lot more comfortable face. I'm the only one who really knows I didn't get a BBS today...

So at that, getting through these pros could really break the habit for me...

And that's my problem, I would know I didn't get a BBS shave!

If a BBS shave comes with discomfort, then you haven't cracked the BBS code...

Haha... yeah, with the right razor, it's easy and comfortable. The Standard Razor design is good for me. Merkur 34, iKon Deluxe OC, Merkur 37. Those all give me easy BBS, comfortably. But to do it with something, anything I've tried, milder than those gives me a lot of irritation, if it can do it at all.

@Slapo where do you buy the Proline blades?

And an update: Second shave on the Feather pro blade and it got much closer today. I did apply very gentle pressure today, simulating what I might feel with a solid brass or stainless razor. No irritation, no problems, but a closer shave. Still not totally BBS, but DFS++ for sure.

Tomorrow I'm going to try zero pressure again, and this time use more skin stretching to see if I can get closer without pressing...

@Gman9537: someone on eBay called maidrozz: maidrozz | eBay

I find that using the Kais or Shicks, I can just hold the Hawk's handle with a finger on each side, using tiny strokes if needed, and it does the job nicely, even though I have pretty tough facial hair.
If I find it skipping a little, I just shorten my strokes. Work with any of my light razors (e. g. the aluminum General head, cheap hollow handle Indian razors...), although the shave can be a little on the slow side.
If a bit more firmness is required (tough curly hair etc), a pinky under the bottom of the handle tends to sort it out nicely for me.

@Gman9537: someone on eBay called maidrozz: maidrozz | eBay

I find that using the Kais or Shicks, I can just hold the Hawk's handle with a finger on each side, using tiny strokes if needed, and it does the job nicely, even though I have pretty tough facial hair.
If I find it skipping a little, I just shorten my strokes. Work with any of my light razors (e. g. the aluminum General head, cheap hollow handle Indian razors...), although the shave can be a little on the slow side.
If a bit more firmness is required (tough curly hair etc), a pinky under the bottom of the handle tends to sort it out nicely for me.

Yeah, that sounds pretty similar to what I do. I hold by the tip of the thumb and index, with my face as the third point of contact which allows me to place just the slightest amount of pressure on the head. In practical terms, it's probably still less pressure than what you would get from letting a heavy razor do its own work. Pressure sufficient to maintain contact/shock absorption. It typically works pretty well for me with lightweight razors.

But this one didn't chatter or otherwise shave unsmooth with no pressure applied. I like the rigidity of the blade for that. Typically skin stretching causes me problems with more aggressive razors if I'm not careful, but seeing this is so friendly and mild I'm curious to see how it responds.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that sounds pretty similar to what I do. I hold by the tip of the thumb and index, with my face as the third point of contact which allows me to place just the slightest amount of pressure on the head. In practical terms, it's probably still less pressure than what you would get from letting a heavy razor do its own work. Pressure sufficient to maintain contact/shock absorption. It typically works pretty well for me with lightweight razors.

But this one didn't chatter or otherwise shave unsmooth with no pressure applied. I like the rigidity of the blade for that. Typically skin stretching causes me problems with more aggressive razors if I'm not careful, but seeing this is so friendly and mild I'm curious to see how it responds.

Sounds good. Maybe it's just a bit more time with it and a Kai or a Schick and it'll be even better. :)
I didn't like mine until I stopped using Feather blades in it.

Sounds good. Maybe it's just a bit more time with it and a Kai or a Schick and it'll be even better. :)
I didn't like mine until I stopped using Feather blades in it.
I can definitely see why that would be lol its like putting training wheels on...

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I'm going to finish these pros (will probably give away the PGs).

You are going to want to hang onto those Pro Guards for a while. If you're this in love with the Hawk, it's only a matter of time before you get the itch and buy yourself an actual Artist Club. Go with the Feather Artist Club SS when you're ready. You'll be glad you did! Enjoy your Hawk. I have both the chrome and the black one. It's a fun shaver!

Have you guys tried a heavier handle on the Hawk?

I was thinking about it, but...

Handle from a Cadet , the threaded post on the head rotted away.

Was worried that this might happen. Dissimilar metals and water don't mix. That's why the cap threads on my iKon are rusted. The head is 304 and the handle is 316. I'm not as worried about it on a steel razor, but with alum, when it corrodes it turns to powder.

You are going to want to hang onto those Pro Guards for a while. If you're this in love with the Hawk, it's only a matter of time before you get the itch and buy yourself an actual Artist Club. Go with the Feather Artist Club SS when you're ready. You'll be glad you did! Enjoy your Hawk. I have both the chrome and the black one. It's a fun shaver!

I am. You read my mind. I was thinking this morning after shaving with the pro blade for the third time, and getting a not so close shave, more SAS grade, I'm going to set these blades aside perhaps until Christmas or my anniversary and ask the wife for a folding Feather. With the way they feel in the Hawk, I'm thinking even the Pro blades would be pretty close to straight-razor feel compared to a regular DE shavette. I'm down for straights, I'm just not down for honing and stropping. My shave routine right now is about 25 minutes. I can't make it any longer without getting up earlier or shaving only on the weekends.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I'm down for straights, I'm just not down for honing and stropping.

Im with you 100%. I went from DE to SE, then got a Feather Artist Club SS. Loved the shave with the AC. Went right on to straights. I have about 5 straights that are in service right now. And another batch of vintage flea market finds that are ready for some honing. But I just cant hack all that stropping and blade maintenance. It kind of ruins the experience for me. The AC shaves as close to a straight as you can get without stropping. Much more so than regular shavettes. Try one, and you will enjoy it. None of these things has replaced a DE for everyday shaving. I still love the DE shaves. Even if I can get a closer shave with a straight, I still enjoy the DE shave experience the most. Enjoy your journey!

Top Bottom