What's new

Razorock Plissoft ?

Hi
I have an aluminum handle Plissoft 400 and wanted to know if I can get the synthetic knot out of there without destroying it? I really like the handle but the knot is awful for me. Anyone have any experience?
Thanks
Denny

Hi
I have an aluminum handle Plissoft 400 and wanted to know if I can get the synthetic knot out of there without destroying it? I really like the handle but the knot is awful for me. Anyone have any experience?
Thanks
Denny
Which handle color? Using the steam method may work as well as a dry heat IE heatgun... If you're going to just trash the knot I wouldn't worry about too much heat..

Which handle color? Using the steam method may work as well as a dry heat IE heatgun... If you're going to just trash the knot I wouldn't worry about too much heat..
I have the matte black handle. I am trashing the knot for sure. I was thinking my heat gun but wasnt sure. Thanks

Thanks sanch. I think I will do that. The pics will help me as this will be the first one I have tried.
Leather gloves man!!!! And safety glasses!!!!! You don't want any loose epoxy jumping in your eyeball or burning your hands!!!! Don't forget your PPE!!!!!

Since it’s aluminum I don’t see why you can’t boil/steam/heat gun that sucker out. Aluminum melts at over 1200F, heat cured epoxy gives up the ghost several hundred degrees cooler than that, so I don’t think there is any danger of ruining the handle.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I had that with the butterscotch handle. If I had the aluminum I might have tried to figure it out as you are but since it was plastic it went in the trash. Terrible brush.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
the black is power coated heat might melt the coating ,I would tape the handle cut the knot short and grind out the glue with a dremal

Since it’s aluminum I don’t see why you can’t boil/steam/heat gun that sucker out. Aluminum melts at over 1200F, heat cured epoxy gives up the ghost several hundred degrees cooler than that, so I don’t think there is any danger of ruining the handle.

I think I will try the boil method 1st. That sounds like the least abrasive method.
Thanks

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
P@tsfan6484 I was wrong it's not powder coated it's black anodize heat shouldn't hurt it.
I was going by how mine looked but a check of the website says anodize
sorry

P@tsfan6484 I was wrong it's not powder coated it's black anodize heat shouldn't hurt it.
I was going by how mine looked but a check of the website says anodize
sorry

Thanks for checking that out for me. I think I will heat gun it out of there . Once I get started I will post some pics.

OP - my apologies as this is a bit off-topic. But: I'm really interested to see the opinions on this brush as being terrible - I bought one for my son who wanted to avoid animal brushes. I used it a couple of times myself and found it produced a nice lather with the creams I was using at the time (Nivea and Body Shop). I've thought about buying one for myself a few times since, and had thought that the Plissoft knot was well-regarded. Do other, similar-priced synthetics perform that much better?

Luke

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Watching to see how this project turns out. I thought about trying to restore a vintage 400 but i know i would ruin it for sure. I was on the framing crew not finish lol
I happen to like these brushes @MurderousCrow ,
I have the silver handle, orange and just bought the silver / black knot that is described as special edition.

OP - my apologies as this is a bit off-topic. But: I'm really interested to see the opinions on this brush as being terrible - I bought one for my son who wanted to avoid animal brushes. I used it a couple of times myself and found it produced a nice lather with the creams I was using at the time (Nivea and Body Shop). I've thought about buying one for myself a few times since, and had thought that the Plissoft knot was well-regarded. Do other, similar-priced synthetics perform that much better?

Luke

Please do not misunderstand. The brush is not MY cup of tea. I prefer much more backbone. I believe the brush to be completely usable on the right face. I do like the handle a bunch, which is why I am going to try and make something of it. As far as synthetic brushes all around, I do not know as this is the first and last I will own.

Watching to see how this project turns out. I thought about trying to restore a vintage 400 but i know i would ruin it for sure. I was on the framing crew not finish lol
I happen to like these brushes @MurderousCrow ,
I have the silver handle, orange and just bought the silver / black knot that is described as special edition.

I will post pics as soon as I can get started. I am also interested in how this will turn out. lol

@Rhody thank you, I was eyeing up the orange and matte black handled ones.

Please do not misunderstand. The brush is not MY cup of tea. I prefer much more backbone. I believe the brush to be completely usable on the right face. I do like the handle a bunch, which is why I am going to try and make something of it. As far as synthetic brushes all around, I do not know as this is the first and last I will own.

Great, thanks for that - you're not a fan of synths anyway! I was inferring from the thread that perhaps the Plissoft was a particularly bad knot, so thanks for explaining.

I'm still very much a beginner and bought my son's RR 400 a while back, when a comfortable shave was still a rare thing for me. It's only recently I've learned how to produce a really comfortable lather, so I'm aware that perhaps I'll yet be disappointed with the performance of a Plissoft synth (in comparison with my two favourite brushes I use at present, boar and silvertip). Hence the question :) I have one synth already, a Muhle travel brush that is pretty dreadful.

/OT :)

@Rhody thank you, I was eyeing up the orange and matte black handled ones.

Great, thanks for that - you're not a fan of synths anyway! I was inferring from the thread that perhaps the Plissoft was a particularly bad knot, so thanks for explaining.

I'm still very much a beginner and bought my son's RR 400 a while back, when a comfortable shave was still a rare thing for me. It's only recently I've learned how to produce a really comfortable lather, so I'm aware that perhaps I'll yet be disappointed with the performance of a Plissoft synth (in comparison with my two favourite brushes I use at present, boar and silvertip). Hence the question :) I have one synth already, a Muhle travel brush that is pretty dreadful.

/OT :)

I learned very quickly that synths are not for me YMMV. I love my 2 band badger made by Spiffo ( I own 2). Can not be had for 10 bucks though.And my Zenith boars are awesome as well.

Top Bottom