What's new

Razorock Plissoft synthetic brush-first impression

I received the brush of Friday so I can only give my impressions based on my limited experience. I am pretty much a dedicated boar brush shaver and rarely grab my badgers. I like a brush with a lot of backbone and short loft. Synthetic brushes are generally known for their lack of backbone but soft feel on the face. This is probably the reason I have resisted purchasing a synthetic to date. Out of curiosity I ordered the brush hoping that it would have more backbone than the Cade Plisson brush.

Upon receipt of the brush I was impressed with the handle; good size and good heft. Ergonomically it fits very well in the hand. Inspecting the knot dry; it is a nicely sized knot, 24X57 (?), not nearly the backbone of a short lofted boar brush but that is to be expected. I was surprised at the amount of water the brush retained based on what I had read. I lathered TOBS Jermyn Street cream, something that I have familiarity with, in a bowl. It took probably twice as long to lather with the synthetic as a short loft boar brushoff similar size but the end result was very good. I did have to add a little water to get a shave ready lather.

I found the brush to have pretty good backbone. It took some effort to make the knot splay which I prefer. It paints very well probably better than any boar I have. It is very soft on the skin. I now understand the appeal of the synthetic knot. Cleanup was very easy and the brush dried in a few hours.

First impressions from someone who is pretty much a dedicated boar brush shaver is very favorable. It is a brush I would use for creams and croaps. I have not tried it with a triple milled soap. It may well be suitable.

I understand that the brush is currently sold out. When it comes back in stock, its a brush you should consider. At the price I think it is a great value.

Thanks for this report. Good to hear that it has fair backbone. From the description on the site, I had jumped to the conclusion that it would be the same brush as the Plisson with a different handle, but perhaps the Razorock version has the knot set deeper in. Have you actually used the Plisson?

Thanks for this report. Good to hear that it has fair backbone. From the description on the site, I had jumped to the conclusion that it would be the same brush as the Plisson with a different handle, but perhaps the Razorock version has the knot set deeper in. Have you actually used the Plisson?

I have not used the Cade Plisson brush. I have seen a few videos on youtube and from what I have seen the lack of backbone did not appeal to me. I think the Cade Plisson is a 22mm knot if I remember correctly where the Razorock is a 24mm knot. The loft of the two is similar. I can't speak to the comparative density of the knots. You do need to exert some pressure on the Razorock for it to splay. The Cade Plisson looks like it splays more freely.

Perhaps someone who owns both can reply.

I can share some initial impressions as I have both the Plissoft and Plisson synthetic brushes. As advertised, the Plissoft appears to have a slightly bigger base knot and a very slightly taller loft than the Plisson. I do not have calipers so I apologize that I cannot be exact. The individual bristles also appear to be the same --- feathery tips with a medium-high amount of resilience and bounce. A HUGE difference between the two knots is that the Plissoft has a glue bump that appears to go half-way up the yellow portion of the bristles. Generally-speaking, I am not oppose to glue bumps - I judge its effect (which can be a good or bad thing). In the case of the Plissoft, it adds a good amount of backbone to the knot...hence, there was a noticeable amount of very pleasant scrub during face-lathering. For a badger comparison, I would say that the Plisson is a 3-band silvertip while the Plissoft is a 2-band finest/silvertip.

On the other end of the brush, the Plissoft's handle is infinitely times better that the Plisson L'Occitane wood and plastic handles. I really enjoy the heft and ergonomics of the Plissoft handle.

The RazoRock Plissoft arrived earlier this week and I have had four shaves with it. I have two Plisson por L'Occitane brushes and a Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic. I also have several badger brushes which I will probably never use again because my Synthetics are so much better.

The RR Plissoft makes the best lather of any of the eight or so brushes I have used. It loads and releases easily and makes the smoothest creamiest lathers I've ever made. The knot is about the same size as the WD Synthetic, but it the hairs are just as soft as the Plisson. The 24mm RR Plissoft loft is lower than the 22mm Plisson so the RR brush has more backbone and the splay diameter is about the same as the narrower Plisson. The RR's shorter loft definitely eliminates the "floppy" objection many have to the Plisson brush.

The handle is surprisingly heavy. I was expecting some lightweight plastic at this price.

Unfortunately, the ergonomics of the handle are just absolutely terrible. There is a ridge half-way up the brush separating the thumb-channel at the bottom from the flute at the top. This ridge is too low on the handle, too raised, and too sharp. This creates two problems. First, the low ridge makes the thumb channel too narrow forcing my large -- but not extra-large -- thumb onto the sharp ridge, and directing my fingers to curl and pinch to stay in the thumb-channel. Second, because the ridge is sharp, it is uncomfortable to straighten my fingers parallel to the bristles and across the ridge to avoid curling them as described in the first problem. This handle seriously needs a redesign.

I am expecting a Shave Revolution 24mm Synthetic brush in the mail this week. If that has the same fibers and loft as the RR Plissoft and the handle is as ergonomic as it looks in the picture, then the Shave Revolution brush will be the best choice.

Last edited:
And here are pictures of my WD Synthetic, RR Plissoft, and Plisson L'Occitane for size comparison. Note the handle differences between the very ergonomic WD and the sharp-ridged Plissoft. Note the loft difference between the Plissoft and the Plisson.

$IMG_0588.jpg

Little difficult being someone who favors a small loft trying to find all these cool scores. Neat brush though, love the handle on it!

The Shave Revolution 24mm synthetic brush looks great! Report back with a review when you get it.

I have size 10 hands, XL in gloves size and fairly long fingers. I didn't have a problem with the Razorock handle. I was thrilled with the handle. Then again I am an Omega boar user. They make the worst handles in the industry.

Thanks to everyone for their posts/additional posts. The pronounced, sharp ridge on the Plissoft certainly is an usual design, and obviously it hits Atalk and OFK1961 very differently. Have no idea how it would hit me, so that's a negative. I'm unable to see the high glue bump that Atalk mentions for the Plissoft in OFK1961's photo, and I wonder if that feature is fairly consistent.

I have been in the Computer Mouse & Keyboard and Audio Video Remote Control business for 10 years and have lots of experience and some training regarding ergonomic design and evaluation for handheld objects. No hard edges where the hand touches the object is ergonomic design rule #1.

The glue bump is not a problem and the brush is just wonderful on the face.

I have been in the Computer Mouse & Keyboard and Audio Video Remote Control business for 10 years and have lots of experience and some training regarding ergonomic design and evaluation for handheld objects. No hard edges where the hand touches the object is ergonomic design rule #1.

The glue bump is not a problem and the brush is just wonderful on the face.

Good, so it's there and I just can't see it, thank you. Far from being a problem, I would expect to find the effectively lower loft agreeable.

Maybe someone else can chime in on the "glue bump". I don't think it is a manufacturing error. I think it is intentional in design. It definitely gives the brush more backbone. There is a uniform 1/2" hump hid in the center of the knot.

I was afraid of the ring 'round the RR's middle when I saw the photo. It's right in the danger zone where I grip.

As for glue bumps, the Shave Revolution synthetic 24mm arrived late today, and while the website states a 55mm loft, it looks a tad taller to me. No matter since it also comes with a glue bump that effectively lowers the loft. Shampooing it, it seems to have plenty of splay while retaining some backbone -- all of which means there shouldn't be a problem face-lathering with it. Needless to say, the tips are plenty soft enough. The handle is a good knock-off the Simpsons M7 and is comfy to hold, with a very solid feel. I'm very partial to this style handle, so on that spec alone I'm glad I chose it. But I'll look forward to reading reviews about both brushes.

I've used my Plissoft a few times now. This is my first synthetic and only my second "usable" brush to go with my Omega boar. Reading reviews on the Plisson vs WD, the most prevalent complaint was the lack of backbone for face lathering. I find the Plissoft has plenty of backbone. It's not quite as scrubby as my boar, but the density of the knot make it perform extremely well for face lathering. I have no problems at all with this brush. The handle shape doesn't bother me either, I guess I hold the brush slightly different than others as I find it comfortable and less slippery than my omega.

I bloomed a puck of Provence Sante this morning for use with the Razorock Plissoft brush this morning. It is a triple milled soap. I don't usually bloom my soaps with my regular brush, a (23mmx48mm) boar brush with huge backbone. I thought it might be useful to do so with a synthetic knot. It performed very well with this soap. Loading took about 30 seconds and lathering about the same. This is about double the time it takes for the boar. This isn't a problem for me. The brush has good backbone and is really soft on the face. It is the best painting brush that I have used. I don't have any experience with any gel tip badgers.

I paid particular attention to my grip on the brush. I hold my brush with my finger tips very close to the base of the knot with the base of the handle against the my palm at the index finger. The "sharp ridge" didn't come in contact with my hand in loading or lathering. I do understand how it could interfere if you held the brush differently. I would suggest that if you consider purchasing the brush that you consider if the ridge would be an issue for you from photo on the website.

I'm a big fan of synthetic brushes. For almost a year, I have been using either 21 mm Muehle Silvertip Fibre or 20 mm WD for my daily face lathering routine. A week a go, I received the new Plissoft from Italian Barber. After a few shaves, here's my uneducated opinion.

It generates lather as good as my other synthetic brushes. No better, no worse. In about under 30 seconds Williams released clouds of soft fluffy lather.
As expected, it holds more lather than smaller brushes.
Scritch - minimal to none. On par with WD. Less than Muhler.
Softness - very soft. More than Muhler. Same as WD.
Knot Density. Same as my other two synthetic brushes.
Backbone. Less than Muhler and WD.
Size is too big for my face lathering preferences, though perfect for lathering by head.
It sheds! Neither WD or Muhler lost any hairs Plissoft sheds 5-10 each shave. Not cool.

Overall - a bit too big and floppy for face shaving. At the current price of $10, an unbelievable steal.

$2015-10-08 09.19.32.jpg

I've got a L'Occitane Plisson and prefer it over my Simpson & Edwin Jaggers.
It's got just enough backbone to create a great lather without using too much product and it's silky smooth on the face.
It also holds enough to do all 3 crosses and a touch up - better than my Berkeley 46.

Top Bottom