What's new

RazoRock Plague Doctor Super Formula

Same ingredient label & lot # as the tubs I bought in April and November of 2020. With 2 tubs in reserve and 2 more on the way, I'm glad to see they haven't changed anything. :clap:
That is a tub I bought in May of 2020 my new stuff is supposed to land Dec 2

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My friends, I've just got my backup tub and received this:

20211123_084027.jpg

The ingredients list is shorter, Argan Oil, Shea Butter and Aloe Vera are missing. Lanolin is still there.
Now, which is the current version in production? :confused1

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

The ingredients list is shorter, Argan Oil, Shea Butter and Aloe Vera are missing. Lanolin is still there.
The label in post 56 is clearly different and shows lot # 5518
Very strange indeed. Dare I say it’s almost as if a grave robber is a foot! Mine hasn’t arrived yet but I’m in regret mode.

Well surprise, surprise, surprise, my estimated Dec 2 arrived in the post box yesterday with my back-up tub and splash...here is a picture of the ingredient label on the new tub: the front label is now a glossy sticker as opposed to a matte sticker otherwise I could detect no difference.
11-26 (2).jpg

Unfortunately, @Marco that looks like an earlier formulation. I have an older version of this soap, Medico della Peste, that might be the same formula. I will look for it and post the ingredients from my tub if I find it.

I believe the current formula is the Super Formula. The same as your 1st tub.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Unfortunately, @Marco that looks like an earlier formulation. I have an older version of this soap, Medico della Peste, that might be the same formula. I will look for it and post the ingredients from my tub if I find it.

I believe the current formula is the Super Formula. The same as your 1st tub.
At this point I think you are right, Sir. Anyway, the old formulation with shorter ingredients list should be great, too. If you compare it to Santa Maria del Fiore, another favourite of mine, they are very similar.

Total darkness. The wind blows and whistles. The air is cold and filled with the nauseating smell of rotting corpses. They are everywhere, in the fields and in the streets. I am alone. Suddenly, beside the churchyard a massive bell strikes three times. In the distance I start hearing slow, heavy footsteps. A tall figure is approaching. As he gets closer my heart beats faster. I know the end is near. Now, I can clearly identify the man: a plague doctor. He is wearing an ankle-length overcoat, a huge bird-like beak mask, long gloves, leather boots and a wide-brimmed hat. He is completely black, only the mask is white. The sole brightness I see is his big gold crucifix hanging from a thick necklace. An old Bible in his left hand, a heavy stick in his right hand. The stick has an engraving with the latin words Die Iudicii Domini, The Day of the Lord's Judgement. The plague doctor stops in front of me. I am on my knees, petrified. My head is low. He puts his heavy stick under my chin and pulls strongly upwards. He looks into my eyes. Silence, terror. Then, the plague doctor declares: "You'll live". I faint, fall to the ground, as if dead.

The nightmare scenario described above is, of course, only fruit of my imagination. But plague doctors really existed. They were present in the 17th-century Europe and they were believed to be able to treat victims of the bubonic plague during pandemics. Plague doctors had a mixed reputation and were everywhere considered as enigmatic figures. Still today they are shrouded in a veil of mystery. What is sure is that a plague doctor generated true fear. When you saw one, you knew that death was near...

Attracted by this disquieting historical character, years ago, Joe of Italian Barber created a shaving soap with matching aftershave splash called Plague Doctor. Why did he want to do so? Well, the answer to this question is clearly explained in the paragraph below, taken directly from the IB's web page: "In 17th century Venice, Plague doctors wore a beaked mask filled with sweet smells such as dried flowers, herbs and spices. They believed the plague was spread by a noxious form of bad air and that their special fragrant blend would protect them. On a recent trip to Italy, we were given "the recipe" which was supposedly used by these Plague doctors. We can't confirm that it'll safeguard you from any future plagues but it sure smells divine. We have recreated the Plague doctor's fragrance and now offer it in our Italian shaving soap and after shaving splash".

Now, my brief review on this excellent shaving soap.

Here is the ingredients list: Stearic Acid, Water(Eau), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium, Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrogenated Lanolin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea)Butter Fragrance(Parfum), Argania Spinosa (Argan)Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Extract(Aloe).
*Plague Doctor now uses RazoRock's Super Formula which includes Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin, for unmatched post-shave and razor glide!*

The packaging is a simple plastic bowl with screw lid. It's jet black in colour and features a nice vintage-style sticker on top with the Plague Doctor depicted upon.

The scent is labelled as a mix of white musk, herbs and spices. To my nose it has a very pronounced fragrance of dried flowers. It's unique and wonderful!

Latherability is exceptional, as you would expect from a high quality soft soap. It is very forgiving on the water/soap ratio, responds beautifully to the Italian Master Barbers' Technique (aka Marco-my method) and always lathers up properly and abundantly.

Overall performance is magnificent: this soap is thick, slick and protective. Post shave is particularly enjoyable and great thanks to the added Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin.

Price point here in Italy is just €9.99, budget-friendly as all RazoRock products are.

My final judgement on Plague Doctor can only be highly positive. It's easy to use, inexpensive, smells divinely and performs superbly. There are no weak points of any kind for this outstanding shaving soap. It unquestionably deserves my seal of approval.

P.S. The last vital question is: should YOU buy it? You'd better hurry up, unless you want the Plague Doctor to pay you a visit...

Don't know how I missed this review till now but WOW what a review, very impressive @Marco!

I'll have to compare the ingredients of the one I ordered a few days ago. A few things I've had my eye on were on sale and I added a plague doctor soap to the order

At this point I think you are right, Sir. Anyway, the old formulation with shorter ingredients list should be great, too. If you compare it to Santa Maria del Fiore, another favourite of mine, they are very similar.
I found my tub!
20211125_113144.jpg

20211125_113216.jpg

I picked up the soap ~5yrs ago with the aftershave. That was when it was Italian in name and product. 😉

UPS was supposed to deliver my plague doctor order today but that’s not happening. After a leisurely trip down I-75 in what I suspect is a Conestoga wagon it decided to take a detour and layover in Jacksonville FL for the day. Now it’s supposed to be here on Monday. I wonder if they’re sending it by the aforementioned means of transportation or put it on the clipper ship that runs between Jacksonville and Ft. Meyers

Well I finally got my tub of plague doctor in today. Though UPS decided not to tell me that it was out for delivery until 3 hours after they delivered it. I plan to try it tomorrow

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Well surprise, surprise, surprise, my estimated Dec 2 arrived in the post box yesterday with my back-up tub and splash...here is a picture of the ingredient label on the new tub: the front label is now a glossy sticker as opposed to a matte sticker otherwise I could detect no difference.
View attachment 1367575
This is exactly what I received same label and ingredients. Lot 5321.
I gave it a maiden voyage yesterday. Off the tub I love the scent. The lather exploded. Great thick lather for 3 passes. Very slick also. Superb in every way. Considering the apparent quality and price for 5 oz this is a top of the charts winner. My only negative is the matching aftershave. After application I got a strong lilac scent. Definitely not my favorite. I don’t get this off the bottle or the soap. I haven’t used RR aftershave in a while but it’s very fleeting scent with PD so that was a plus 5min after applying I didn’t pick up any scent and in this case with the lilac that was a good thing. It certainly wasn’t awful so I’m giving it another try but may just use a different AS with the good doctor soap.

View attachment 1367575

Received my 2 tubs tonight. Same ingredient list and Lot # as shown above. The only difference from my Apr & Nov 2020 tubs is the Lot #. The scent of the new tubs is stronger, but maybe it's because the older ones have faded. When I finish my Apr 2020 tub, I'll have to skip the Nov 2020 and check out a new one.

View attachment 1367575
Mine came today, same lot number. I forgot how good the scent is.

Nice review and I agree that it is a great soap/splash. I only wish that Plague Doctor and Aqua (another favourite of mine) would come in a EDT/EDP.😃
Total darkness. The wind blows and whistles. The air is cold and filled with the nauseating smell of rotting corpses. They are everywhere, in the fields and in the streets. I am alone. Suddenly, beside the churchyard a massive bell strikes three times. In the distance I start hearing slow, heavy footsteps. A tall figure is approaching. As he gets closer my heart beats faster. I know the end is near. Now, I can clearly identify the man: a plague doctor. He is wearing an ankle-length overcoat, a huge bird-like beak mask, long gloves, leather boots and a wide-brimmed hat. He is completely black, only the mask is white. The sole brightness I see is his big gold crucifix hanging from a thick necklace. An old Bible in his left hand, a heavy stick in his right hand. The stick has an engraving with the latin words Die Iudicii Domini, The Day of the Lord's Judgement. The plague doctor stops in front of me. I am on my knees, petrified. My head is low. He puts his heavy stick under my chin and pulls strongly upwards. He looks into my eyes. Silence, terror. Then, the plague doctor declares: "You'll live". I faint, fall to the ground, as if dead.

The nightmare scenario described above is, of course, only fruit of my imagination. But plague doctors really existed. They were present in the 17th-century Europe and they were believed to be able to treat victims of the bubonic plague during pandemics. Plague doctors had a mixed reputation and were everywhere considered as enigmatic figures. Still today they are shrouded in a veil of mystery. What is sure is that a plague doctor generated true fear. When you saw one, you knew that death was near...

Attracted by this disquieting historical character, years ago, Joe of Italian Barber created a shaving soap with matching aftershave splash called Plague Doctor. Why did he want to do so? Well, the answer to this question is clearly explained in the paragraph below, taken directly from the IB's web page: "In 17th century Venice, Plague doctors wore a beaked mask filled with sweet smells such as dried flowers, herbs and spices. They believed the plague was spread by a noxious form of bad air and that their special fragrant blend would protect them. On a recent trip to Italy, we were given "the recipe" which was supposedly used by these Plague doctors. We can't confirm that it'll safeguard you from any future plagues but it sure smells divine. We have recreated the Plague doctor's fragrance and now offer it in our Italian shaving soap and after shaving splash".

Here is the ingredients list: Stearic Acid, Water(Eau), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium, Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrogenated Lanolin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea)Butter Fragrance(Parfum), Argania Spinosa (Argan)Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Extract(Aloe).
*Plague Doctor now uses RazoRock's Super Formula which includes Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin, for unmatched post-shave and razor glide!*

The packaging is a simple plastic bowl with screw lid. It's jet black in colour and features a nice vintage-style sticker on top with the Plague Doctor depicted upon.

The scent is labelled as a mix of white musk, herbs and spices. To my nose it has a very pronounced fragrance of dried flowers. It's unique and wonderful!

Latherability is exceptional, as you would expect from a high quality soft soap. It is very forgiving on the water/soap ratio, responds beautifully to the Italian Master Barbers' Technique (aka Marco-my method) and always lathers up properly and abundantly.

Overall performance is magnificent: this soap is thick, slick and protective. Post shave is particularly enjoyable and great thanks to the added Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin.

Price point here in Italy is just €9.99, budget-friendly as all RazoRock products are.

My final judgement on Plague Doctor can only be highly positive. It's easy to use, inexpensive, smells divinely and performs superbly. There are no weak points of any kind for this outstanding shaving soap. It unquestionably deserves my seal of approval.

P.S. The last vital question is: should YOU buy it? You'd better hurry up, unless you want the Plague Doctor to pay you a visit...

Marco, do people there dress up like the Doctor for Halloween? FYI I'm a big fan of Umberto Ecco.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, do people there dress up like the Doctor for Halloween? FYI I'm a big fan of Umberto Eco.
Dear Juan, this question brought a huge smile onto my face. Ever since posting this thread, my own son, 12 years old, has decided to dress up as a Plague Doctor for all Halloween evenings!

Umberto Eco? One of the greatest Italian writers ever. A true legend.

Dear Juan, this question brought a huge smile onto my face. Ever since posting this thread, my own son, 12 years old, has decided to dress up as a Plague Doctor for all Halloween evenings!

Umberto Eco? One of the greatest Italian writers ever. A true legend.
Sir, you are a true scholar and gentleman.

Top Bottom