What's new

RazoRock Plague Doctor Super Formula

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Interesting... I bought the Mudder soap less than a year ago, and was not impressed in the least. I am ashamed to say that, compared with my then-favorite Cella EEB, it was not in my mind worth keeping.

I think this was before the super formula was released. This formula piques my interest, because I find RR Scents to be top notch.

Does anyone know when this was released? How does it compare to Santa Maria del Fiore?

Interesting... I bought the Mudder soap less than a year ago, and was not impressed in the least. I am ashamed to say that, compared with my then-favorite Cella EEB, it was not in my mind worth keeping.

I think this was before the super formula was released. This formula piques my interest, because I find RR Scents to be top notch.

Does anyone know when this was released? How does it compare to Santa Maria del Fiore?
The scent of Plague Doctor is enigmatic and intensely appealing.

It must have been within the last year or so that the Super formula came out. They been slowly updating their scents into the new Super formula as time goes. I find the super formula to be a bit more protective and slick then the SMdF/DS base. My favourite base is the base they had for the Unlabelled Project but Super formula is a close second.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m going to try this new base. Probably the Irish scent. IMO the RR Dead Sea is the best of what I’ve tried so far.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
And, I have to ask. Is there a more successful enabler on this forum than @Marco ? I have about four soaps lined up he recommends that I'm trying my darndest not to buy, and he keeps piling them on! :lol:

The OCD in me starts to get very uncomfortable when I get about a dozen lathers in my den, I actually get stressed about it. I'll have to PIF a couple to make room, I guess. How do you guys with a couple dozen soaps in your den deal with the stress of what to use tomorrow? I sometimes feel like the mule that starved to death between two bales of hay because he didn't know which one to take a bite out of next!

And then I get stuck on something for several days, like the Stirling Frankincense & Myrrh, and start to stress about neglecting the others in my den!

That reminds me, what the heck am I going to use tomorrow?

Probably Don Marco. Someone convinced me it's not a "summer scent", it's one that can remind me of summer in the fall! :lol: Yep, Don Marco tomorrow.

The OCD in me starts to get very uncomfortable when I get about a dozen lathers in my den, I actually get stressed about it. I'll have to PIF a couple to make room, I guess. How do you guys with a couple dozen soaps in your den deal with the stress of what to use tomorrow?...

That reminds me, what the heck am I going to use tomorrow?
As an OCD sufferer, I'm surprised you don't have all your soaps in a spreadsheet. You could tick all the ones you might consider, press a button and let the random number generator select one.

Alternatively, you could jot down the name of a soap that was recently mentioned on the forum that you haven't used recently, and toss it into a hat.

:laugh:

It must have been within the last year or so that the Super formula came out. They been slowly updating their scents into the new Super formula as time goes. I find the super formula to be a bit more protective and slick then the SMdF/DS base. My favourite base is the base they had for the Unlabelled Project but Super formula is a close second.
I got the super formula Plague Doctor in 2018. It's been there for a while. Razorock has many types of tallow and non tallow formulas they developed and work with which is what I like about them.

It's worthwhile to scan through their soap offerings and see the different bases they use for different scents.

Total darkness. The wind blows and whistles. The air is cold and filled with the nauseating smell of rotting corpses. They are everywhere, in the fields and in the streets. I am alone. Suddenly, beside the churchyard a massive bell strikes three times. In the distance I start hearing slow, heavy footsteps. A tall figure is approaching. As he gets closer my heart beats faster. I know the end is near. Now, I can clearly identify the man: a plague doctor. He is wearing an ankle-length overcoat, a huge bird-like beak mask, long gloves, leather boots and a wide-brimmed hat. He is completely black, only the mask is white. The sole brightness I see is his big gold crucifix hanging from a thick necklace. An old Bible in his left hand, a heavy stick in his right hand. The stick has an engraving with the latin words Die Iudicii Domini, The Day of the Lord's Judgement. The plague doctor stops in front of me. I am on my knees, petrified. My head is low. He puts his heavy stick under my chin and pulls strongly upwards. He looks into my eyes. Silence, terror. Then, the plague doctor declares: "You'll live". I faint, fall to the ground, as if dead.

The nightmare scenario described above is, of course, only fruit of my imagination. But plague doctors really existed. They were present in the 17th-century Europe and they were believed to be able to treat victims of the bubonic plague during pandemics. Plague doctors had a mixed reputation and were everywhere considered as enigmatic figures. Still today they are shrouded in a veil of mystery. What is sure is that a plague doctor generated true fear. When you saw one, you knew that death was near...

Attracted by this disquieting historical character, years ago, Joe of Italian Barber created a shaving soap with matching aftershave splash called Plague Doctor. Why did he want to do so? Well, the answer to this question is clearly explained in the paragraph below, taken directly from the IB's web page: "In 17th century Venice, Plague doctors wore a beaked mask filled with sweet smells such as dried flowers, herbs and spices. They believed the plague was spread by a noxious form of bad air and that their special fragrant blend would protect them. On a recent trip to Italy, we were given "the recipe" which was supposedly used by these Plague doctors. We can't confirm that it'll safeguard you from any future plagues but it sure smells divine. We have recreated the Plague doctor's fragrance and now offer it in our Italian shaving soap and after shaving splash".

Now, my brief review on this excellent shaving soap.

Here is the ingredients list: Stearic Acid, Water(Eau), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium, Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrogenated Lanolin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea)Butter Fragrance(Parfum), Argania Spinosa (Argan)Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Extract(Aloe).
*Plague Doctor now uses RazoRock's Super Formula which includes Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin, for unmatched post-shave and razor glide!*

The packaging is a simple plastic bowl with screw lid. It's jet black in colour and features a nice vintage-style sticker on top with the Plague Doctor depicted upon.

The scent is labelled as a mix of white musk, herbs and spices. To my nose it has a very pronounced fragrance of dried flowers. It's unique and wonderful!

Latherability is exceptional, as you would expect from a high quality soft soap. It is very forgiving on the water/soap ratio, responds beautifully to the Italian Master Barbers' Technique (aka Marco-my method) and always lathers up properly and abundantly.

Overall performance is magnificent: this soap is thick, slick and protective. Post shave is particularly enjoyable and great thanks to the added Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin.

Price point here in Italy is just €9.99, budget-friendly as all RazoRock products are.

My final judgement on Plague Doctor can only be highly positive. It's easy to use, inexpensive, smells divinely and performs superbly. There are no weak points of any kind for this outstanding shaving soap. It unquestionably deserves my seal of approval.

P.S. The last vital question is: should YOU buy it? You'd better hurry up, unless you want the Plague Doctor to pay you a visit...

An extremely well written and informative review @Marco. The storytelling makes you feel like you were there. I’ve tried a couple of the RazoRock soaps and agree that they perform well. I’ll have to try this one at some point if they restock it

@Marco

Dear Marco. My wife says my comment on the Plague Doctor was not very gentleman like. She claims we Dutch, and me in patricular, are too blunt. In the context of shaving, I would think this to be an inappropriate attitude. If she is right, I apologize. On the other hand, gentlemen should also speak their mind amongst each other. Tell me what you think, my friend.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Marco

Dear Marco. My wife says my comment on the Plague Doctor was not very gentleman like. She claims we Dutch, and me in patricular, are too blunt. In the context of shaving, I would think this to be an inappropriate attitude. If she is right, I apologize. On the other hand, gentlemen should also speak their mind amongst each other. Tell me what you think, my friend.
Dear Jack, your comments are perfectly fine. The B&B rules of course allow to disagree if you have a different opinion. What is mandatory is that this is done in a polite and respectful way, without being rude or offensive. You have behaved like a True Gentleman.

Many thanks my friend for the nice words of appreciation written about myself.

As promised, I gave the Plague Doctor another try. Again, the initial scent was enigmatic and very appealing. The strange thing was that during shaving, the scent changed completely. During the shave it became very musk like, almost smells like an animal lair. Though some may not like it, I found it fascinating.
This soap lathers real easy. Even while not using a lot of soap, I whipped it to a full bowl easily. I rembered it lost its foamy composure a bit fast, I lathered smaller parts of face and head and then shaved. what I like about this soap is that it may loose its foam a bit fast, I can clean up patches just using water. The unfoamed soap keeps doing its work if wetted again with the razor.
I had a very smooth shave, much better than I remembered. Could be my different strategy, the fact I used demineralised water, a broken in blade, or a combination of these factors.
I had some irritation in the neck, which felt as a reaction to the soap ingredients, but I had to work hard on the neck, so I probably damaged my skin too.
I would recommend washing face and/or head thoroughly after the shave, as this soap leaves quite a bit of dried lather on the skin, which I oersonally dislike, since it leaves my skin a bit itchy.
All in all a good soap, as stated: much better than I remembered. As far as I am concerned, it takes a bit of thought how to use it to its full potential, but it will reward you.

Does it have any relation to Razorock XXX? I have a the Razorock XXX Fresca, it is one of my favorites.
That is a different formula RR calls "Super Tallow". There are similarities. The Super Tallow soaps are not really tallow-based, though they do contain some tallow as an ingredient in the mix. Most of the fats used in the soaps are stearic acid and coconut oil, like a lot of the Italian soft soaps.

sigh...another soap to add to the list. I'm more interested in dead sea and the alchemist though if im being honest, those scents seem to be quite unique and interesting.

Total darkness. The wind blows and whistles. The air is cold and filled with the nauseating smell of rotting corpses. They are everywhere, in the fields and in the streets. I am alone. Suddenly, beside the churchyard a massive bell strikes three times. In the distance I start hearing slow, heavy footsteps. A tall figure is approaching. As he gets closer my heart beats faster. I know the end is near. Now, I can clearly identify the man: a plague doctor. He is wearing an ankle-length overcoat, a huge bird-like beak mask, long gloves, leather boots and a wide-brimmed hat. He is completely black, only the mask is white. The sole brightness I see is his big gold crucifix hanging from a thick necklace. An old Bible in his left hand, a heavy stick in his right hand. The stick has an engraving with the latin words Die Iudicii Domini, The Day of the Lord's Judgement. The plague doctor stops in front of me. I am on my knees, petrified. My head is low. He puts his heavy stick under my chin and pulls strongly upwards. He looks into my eyes. Silence, terror. Then, the plague doctor declares: "You'll live". I faint, fall to the ground, as if dead.

The nightmare scenario described above is, of course, only fruit of my imagination. But plague doctors really existed. They were present in the 17th-century Europe and they were believed to be able to treat victims of the bubonic plague during pandemics. Plague doctors had a mixed reputation and were everywhere considered as enigmatic figures. Still today they are shrouded in a veil of mystery. What is sure is that a plague doctor generated true fear. When you saw one, you knew that death was near...

Attracted by this disquieting historical character, years ago, Joe of Italian Barber created a shaving soap with matching aftershave splash called Plague Doctor. Why did he want to do so? Well, the answer to this question is clearly explained in the paragraph below, taken directly from the IB's web page: "In 17th century Venice, Plague doctors wore a beaked mask filled with sweet smells such as dried flowers, herbs and spices. They believed the plague was spread by a noxious form of bad air and that their special fragrant blend would protect them. On a recent trip to Italy, we were given "the recipe" which was supposedly used by these Plague doctors. We can't confirm that it'll safeguard you from any future plagues but it sure smells divine. We have recreated the Plague doctor's fragrance and now offer it in our Italian shaving soap and after shaving splash".

Now, my brief review on this excellent shaving soap.

Here is the ingredients list: Stearic Acid, Water(Eau), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium, Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrogenated Lanolin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea)Butter Fragrance(Parfum), Argania Spinosa (Argan)Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Extract(Aloe).
*Plague Doctor now uses RazoRock's Super Formula which includes Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin, for unmatched post-shave and razor glide!*

The packaging is a simple plastic bowl with screw lid. It's jet black in colour and features a nice vintage-style sticker on top with the Plague Doctor depicted upon.

The scent is labelled as a mix of white musk, herbs and spices. To my nose it has a very pronounced fragrance of dried flowers. It's unique and wonderful!

Latherability is exceptional, as you would expect from a high quality soft soap. It is very forgiving on the water/soap ratio, responds beautifully to the Italian Master Barbers' Technique (aka Marco-my method) and always lathers up properly and abundantly.

Overall performance is magnificent: this soap is thick, slick and protective. Post shave is particularly enjoyable and great thanks to the added Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin.

Price point here in Italy is just €9.99, budget-friendly as all RazoRock products are.

My final judgement on Plague Doctor can only be highly positive. It's easy to use, inexpensive, smells divinely and performs superbly. There are no weak points of any kind for this outstanding shaving soap. It unquestionably deserves my seal of approval.

P.S. The last vital question is: should YOU buy it? You'd better hurry up, unless you want the Plague Doctor to pay you a visit...

Definitely one of the soaps I should buy again and a great review!

I love RR soaps and splashes my favourite is “for Chicago “ I had a couple of other ones but tossed them in my search for soaps and fragrances that i would like, for some of them I regret, but not for the plague doctor. The soapbase was RR quality so very good, but the smell was too much for my, really liked the floral noted, but the muskey side made it a head turner in the negative way. My daughter and my wife both said thats not nice at all, and i agreed. I love the soap base and the label and name is soo cool, but the fragrance i could not handle.

Top Bottom