What's new

RazoRock Plague Doctor Super Formula

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Total darkness. The wind blows and whistles. The air is cold and filled with the nauseating smell of rotting corpses. They are everywhere, in the fields and in the streets. I am alone. Suddenly, beside the churchyard a massive bell strikes three times. In the distance I start hearing slow, heavy footsteps. A tall figure is approaching. As he gets closer my heart beats faster. I know the end is near. Now, I can clearly identify the man: a plague doctor. He is wearing an ankle-length overcoat, a huge bird-like beak mask, long gloves, leather boots and a wide-brimmed hat. He is completely black, only the mask is white. The sole brightness I see is his big gold crucifix hanging from a thick necklace. An old Bible in his left hand, a heavy stick in his right hand. The stick has an engraving with the latin words Die Iudicii Domini, The Day of the Lord's Judgement. The plague doctor stops in front of me. I am on my knees, petrified. My head is low. He puts his heavy stick under my chin and pulls strongly upwards. He looks into my eyes. Silence, terror. Then, the plague doctor declares: "You'll live". I faint, fall to the ground, as if dead.

The nightmare scenario described above is, of course, only fruit of my imagination. But plague doctors really existed. They were present in the 17th-century Europe and they were believed to be able to treat victims of the bubonic plague during pandemics. Plague doctors had a mixed reputation and were everywhere considered as enigmatic figures. Still today they are shrouded in a veil of mystery. What is sure is that a plague doctor generated true fear. When you saw one, you knew that death was near...

Attracted by this disquieting historical character, years ago, Joe of Italian Barber created a shaving soap with matching aftershave splash called Plague Doctor. Why did he want to do so? Well, the answer to this question is clearly explained in the paragraph below, taken directly from the IB's web page: "In 17th century Venice, Plague doctors wore a beaked mask filled with sweet smells such as dried flowers, herbs and spices. They believed the plague was spread by a noxious form of bad air and that their special fragrant blend would protect them. On a recent trip to Italy, we were given "the recipe" which was supposedly used by these Plague doctors. We can't confirm that it'll safeguard you from any future plagues but it sure smells divine. We have recreated the Plague doctor's fragrance and now offer it in our Italian shaving soap and after shaving splash".

Now, my brief review on this excellent shaving soap.

Here is the ingredients list: Stearic Acid, Water(Eau), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium, Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrogenated Lanolin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea)Butter Fragrance(Parfum), Argania Spinosa (Argan)Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Extract(Aloe).
*Plague Doctor now uses RazoRock's Super Formula which includes Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin, for unmatched post-shave and razor glide!*

The packaging is a simple plastic bowl with screw lid. It's jet black in colour and features a nice vintage-style sticker on top with the Plague Doctor depicted upon.

The scent is labelled as a mix of white musk, herbs and spices. To my nose it has a very pronounced fragrance of dried flowers. It's unique and wonderful!

Latherability is exceptional, as you would expect from a high quality soft soap. It is very forgiving on the water/soap ratio, responds beautifully to the Italian Master Barbers' Technique (aka Marco-my method) and always lathers up properly and abundantly.

Overall performance is magnificent: this soap is thick, slick and protective. Post shave is particularly enjoyable and great thanks to the added Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin.

Price point here in Italy is just €9.99, budget-friendly as all RazoRock products are.

My final judgement on Plague Doctor can only be highly positive. It's easy to use, inexpensive, smells divinely and performs superbly. There are no weak points of any kind for this outstanding shaving soap. It unquestionably deserves my seal of approval.

P.S. The last vital question is: should YOU buy it? You'd better hurry up, unless you want the Plague Doctor to pay you a visit...

Plague Doctor.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Total darkness. The wind blows and whistles. The air is cold and filled with the nauseating smell of rotting corpses. They are everywhere, in the fields and in the streets. I am alone. Suddenly, beside the churchyard a massive bell strikes three times. In the distance I start hearing slow, heavy footsteps. A tall figure is approaching. As he gets closer my heart beats faster. I know the end is near. Now, I can clearly identify the man: a plague doctor. He is wearing an ankle-length overcoat, a huge bird-like beak mask, long gloves, leather boots and a wide-brimmed hat. He is completely black, only the mask is white. The sole brightness I see is his big gold crucifix hanging from a thick necklace. An old Bible in his left hand, a heavy stick in his right hand. The stick has an engraving with the latin words Die Iudicii Domini, The Day of the Lord's Judgement. The plague doctor stops in front of me. I am on my knees, petrified. My head is low. He puts his heavy stick under my chin and pulls strongly upwards. He looks into my eyes. Silence, terror. Then, the plague doctor declares: "You'll live". I faint, fall to the ground, as if dead.

The nightmare scenario described above is, of course, only fruit of my imagination. But plague doctors really existed. They were present in the 17th-century Europe and they were believed to be able to treat victims of the bubonic plague during pandemics. Plague doctors had a mixed reputation and were everywhere considered as enigmatic figures. Still today they are shrouded in a veil of mystery. What is sure is that a plague doctor generated true fear. When you saw one, you knew that death was near...

Attracted by this disquieting historical character, years ago, Joe of Italian Barber created a shaving soap with matching aftershave splash called Plague Doctor. Why did he want to do so? Well, the answer to this question is clearly explained in the paragraph below, taken directly from the IB's web page: "In 17th century Venice, Plague doctors wore a beaked mask filled with sweet smells such as dried flowers, herbs and spices. They believed the plague was spread by a noxious form of bad air and that their special fragrant blend would protect them. On a recent trip to Italy, we were given "the recipe" which was supposedly used by these Plague doctors. We can't confirm that it'll safeguard you from any future plagues but it sure smells divine. We have recreated the Plague doctor's fragrance and now offer it in our Italian shaving soap and after shaving splash".

Here is the ingredients list: Stearic Acid, Water(Eau), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium, Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrogenated Lanolin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea)Butter Fragrance(Parfum), Argania Spinosa (Argan)Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Extract(Aloe).
*Plague Doctor now uses RazoRock's Super Formula which includes Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin, for unmatched post-shave and razor glide!*

The packaging is a simple plastic bowl with screw lid. It's jet black in colour and features a nice vintage-style sticker on top with the Plague Doctor depicted upon.

The scent is labelled as a mix of white musk, herbs and spices. To my nose it has a very pronounced fragrance of dried flowers. It's unique and wonderful!

Latherability is exceptional, as you would expect from a high quality soft soap. It is very forgiving on the water/soap ratio, responds beautifully to the Italian Master Barbers' Technique (aka Marco-my method) and always lathers up properly and abundantly.

Overall performance is magnificent: this soap is thick, slick and protective. Post shave is particularly enjoyable and great thanks to the added Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera and Lanolin.

Price point here in Italy is just €9.99, budget-friendly as all RazoRock products are.

My final judgement on Plague Doctor can only be highly positive. It's easy to use, inexpensive, smells divinely and performs superbly. There are no weak points of any kind for this outstanding shaving soap. It unquestionably deserves my seal of approval.

P.S. The last vital question is: should YOU buy it? You'd better hurry up, unless you want the Plague Doctor to pay you a visit...

Magnificent post, Marco. Your prose and product review are compelling and persuasive. I think I hear footsteps outside my bed chamber …

Whilliam

First Class Citizen

Outstanding post, my friend. Your words make real the miasma. Thank goodness you survived.

Having been to Venice in July at low tide, I'm surprised those beaks are not still worn--at least along some of the canali.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
How would you compare the RR superformula to your standards of SV and Cella Extra Extra Bio?
I do find many similarities between the RazoRock Super Formula and Cella Extra Extra Bio. Both are traditional Italian soft soaps, lather up with ease and are very forgiving on the water/soap ratio. If you love one of the two, it's most likely that you'll love the other as well.

Saponificio Varesino instead is much different from the two above. It's hard triple-milled and requires a very attentive lathering technique, with a lightly damp brush approach. If you don't get it right, the soap won't deliver its full outstanding potential.

Performance-wise all the soaps mentioned here are at the very top of my list.

Last edited:
Awesome writeup for an awesome soap. The RR soaps are underdogs due to its price point compared to other expensive soaps. Love the Plague Doctor scent. It's mild and gentle. The AS lingers on through a substantial part of the day of you are indoors or work at a desk. The croap gives a good slick lather with right amount of residual slickness for a comfortable shave.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Wow what a tremendous review and story indeed fit for Halloween. Right out of an Edgar Allen Poe story! I must have plague doctor. For the plague of our times. I will order it as soon as I change my shorts and climb out from under the bed😱😵‍💫

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Bravo, amico mio. Una recensione per i secoli. :thumbup:

Great review for a great soap. I bought my first tub in Apr 2020 as a lark after covid started, just for the label, and liked it so much that I stocked up. Good thing because IB has been out of stock for months. I love the soap. Great performer, mild scent, with no irritation to my old mug. I've shaved with it at midnight when I was so tired that I could barely keep my eyes open, and late afternoons after downing half a fifth of gin. I never had a bad shave, and get a great lather with any of my 9 brushes.

I wasn't a fan of the aftershave. I kept one bottle for the label and gave my other to my barber. My aftershaves of choice are Captain's Choice BR and Co9T, and Ogallala BR (love the clove).

I happen to have this soap. Used it once, but was not impressed. Having said this: my first and to go soap was/is Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite and this soap performs extremely well for me. I have used 5 other soaps that are highly regarded, and none of them came close to the Snake Bite. I have used the xXx of Razorock, asked advice on B&B, followed the advice and still was not satisfied.
I will try the Plague Doctor again, because I have the highest regards for @Marco and will report back.

Top Bottom