What's new

RazoRock Old Type review and the ultra-cheap shave

OK, I wanted to try an open comb and the Old Type is only $15 plus shipping, so it was well worth a try. After one shave, I have to say this is the best overall of the mild razors I have tried. It was easy to get a BBS result under my nose and around my mouth with no blood or irritation. Only my neck, always the toughest area, wasn't entirely BBS after three passes, but I'll see if I can do better the second time. I'll try it with a lighter handle, too. The blade tabs stick out a lot, but that's no problem for me, and makes the blade easy to align. I really like the open comb design, so I guess the next experiment will be a more aggressive one, maybe a Fatip. But I see no QC issues with this Chinese-made Old Type with a zamak head and heavy steel handle.
With this $15 razor, I used a 9-cent Derby Premium blade. Once I'm finished with the wonderful Haslinger puck I've been using (with a $13 RazoRock brush), it's back to VDH Luxury ($3 with coupon at a local discount store), and Nivea aftershave balm, $5 at my local supermarket. Whatever I spend, it's nice to know the ultra-cheap good shave is possible.

They truly do punch well above their weight class. For a real treat, before you purchase a Fatip, try it with an Astra or Nacet.

They truly do punch well above their weight class. For a real treat, before you purchase a Fatip, try it with an Astra or Nacet.
Will do, and I'll try it with Feather blades too. But even if this never wins the BBS sweepstakes, it is amazingly comfortable and easy to use.

I really like the open comb design, so I guess the next experiment will be a more aggressive one, maybe a Fatip.

The RR Old Type is definitely a winner. It was my daily driver for many, many months. The transition to a Fatip Grande is eye opening to say the least. They look so similar, it's hard to imagine that they could shave so differently. Shaving with the RR Old Type will get you effortlessly BBS smooth in 3 passes, and is like driving a Camry on the highway. Shaving with the Fatip grande can get you to BBS in 1 pass, and is like driving a tweaked out Ducati in the Isle of Man.

I've only been shaving with the Fatip Grande for a few days, but I've shed more blood than I did in all my days with the RR Old Type combined. That said, every shave has been closer, smoother, and more comfortable than the last. The Fatip Grande either rewards good technique, or teaches good technique. I think it should have been called "Il Maestro", because it will either perform brilliantly like a maestro in the musical sense of the word, or it will teach like a maestro in the elementary school sense of the word.

I love the RR Old Type for everyday shaving. Nice and maneuverable. Works very nicely with a Gillette Silver Blue.

The RR Old Type is definitely a winner. It was my daily driver for many, many months. The transition to a Fatip Grande is eye opening to say the least. They look so similar, it's hard to imagine that they could shave so differently. Shaving with the RR Old Type will get you effortlessly BBS smooth in 3 passes, and is like driving a Camry on the highway. Shaving with the Fatip grande can get you to BBS in 1 pass, and is like driving a tweaked out Ducati in the Isle of Man.

I've only been shaving with the Fatip Grande for a few days, but I've shed more blood than I did in all my days with the RR Old Type combined. That said, every shave has been closer, smoother, and more comfortable than the last. The Fatip Grande either rewards good technique, or teaches good technique. I think it should have been called "Il Maestro", because it will either perform brilliantly like a maestro in the musical sense of the word, or it will teach like a maestro in the elementary school sense of the word.
Ah, yes. Stick shift, manual choke, manual everything else, 3-meter wide twisting European country roads with no guard rails and trucks (smallish trucks, but still) blitzing past in the opposite direction. Great. Guess for now I'll keep working with the Fendrihan MKII, a 2017 V-8 Chevy Camaro (Canadian edition) rather than trying a fussy Ducati -- on weekends, and the Camry on weekdays.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a RR old type OC and it is a good daily driver(mid aggressiveness IMO) and if you shower every day and shave after it will give you a BBS or a DFS guaranteed from my experience. If you want a DFS it delivers because of skin sensitivity issues.
I find it smooth to handle and a winner in the right hands with good Technique, hardly any weepers if any. :a8:

The RR Old Type was one of the best razor heads I have used. The only reason why I gave it away was because it made me want to try a Gillette Old Type, and the rest is history. No need to continue the search for a better OC razor. Gillette did it 100 years ago and RR cloned it for a cheaper price.

The RR Old Type was one of the best razor heads I have used. The only reason why I gave it away was because it made me want to try a Gillette Old Type, and the rest is history. No need to continue the search for a better OC razor. Gillette did it 100 years ago and RR cloned it for a cheaper price.
You sold me, I just ordered the nickel-plated refurbished Old Type head from Razor Emporium. We'll see how it compares to the RazoRock. So much for the cheap shave. ;-)

I believe that the RR Old Type is made by Pearl in India & not China.? Someone please jump in if I'm wrong.!

On an other forum, Razorock corrected someone who said the same thing:

(06-14-2016, 01:38 AM)Blagoja Rajevski Wrote: you cant go wrong with them, looks like mostly of his low priced razors are made by Pearl razors from India which are popular for their quality and craftmanship

Razorock reply: Only one made by Pearl is the Classic TTO which is now discontinued. So none of them made by Pearl.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found myself to really enjoying razorock's take on the old type. If they came out with a thin cap version I'd probably be in heaven.

Top Bottom