What's new

Razorock MJ-90 Stainless DE89 variant

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Had a full shave with the MJ-90 with the A Plate. It did pretty well. Got a DFS with 3 easy passes. Went for the BBS with touchups and buffing. Got most of the way there. Had a couple of micro-weepers from the extra work. Otherwise it was smooth shaving. The A Plate salvaged an otherwise unusable razor. I'm happy now. The only issue is that my RFB has laid claim to the wonderful titanium handle. So I had to make a substitution with an Apollo knockoff of my favorite handle.

20171019_064025.jpg

I received my MJ-90 Razorock and I have had two shaves with it and I am sorely disappointed in this razor. I had heard that the original razor was so mild it was virtually impossible to use, but then I saw where improvements were made with the "A"-plate and figured the problem had been solved, but for me it still produces a less than acceptable shave. I used it as late as this morning first with a Voskhod blade and then switched to a Gillette Nacet trying to think it may have been the blade on my first past. The second pass was no better, and the third pass which I always receive a BBS shave with using my Edwin Jagger DE-89, or my Rockwell 6C with the #3 plate was bad as well. I did a total of 5 passes and never did achieve an acceptable shave. I had to finish with my Rockwell to finally achieve the BBS I was looking for. The Rockwell also had a Voskhod when I finished up with it.

I think if they're going to keep selling this razor they still have some work to do.

Not at all pleased.

I received my MJ-90 Razorock and I have had two shaves with it and I am sorely disappointed in this razor. I had heard that the original razor was so mild it was virtually impossible to use, but then I saw where improvements were made with the "A"-plate and figured the problem had been solved, but for me it still produces a less than acceptable shave. I used it as late as this morning first with a Voskhod blade and then switched to a Gillette Nacet trying to think it may have been the blade on my first past. The second pass was no better, and the third pass which I always receive a BBS shave with using my Edwin Jagger DE-89, or my Rockwell 6C with the #3 plate was bad as well. I did a total of 5 passes and never did achieve an acceptable shave. I had to finish with my Rockwell to finally achieve the BBS I was looking for. The Rockwell also had a Voskhod when I finished up with it.

I think if they're going to keep selling this razor they still have some work to do.

Not at all pleased.
I’d be getting my money back! 5 passes? Heck you could buy the cheapest Bic on the market and do better than that.

I’d be getting my money back! 5 passes? Heck you could buy the cheapest Bic on the market and do better than that.
They're not interested in doing anything at Italian Barber. According to Tom I am not using the razor correctly. I told him I used every angle in the geometric world and did everything short of standing on my head to get everything right. Changed blades, changed angle, changed pressure, shaved every direction I could think of and I never did achieve BBS. Broke out the Rockwell with the #3 plate and achieved BBS in 5 minutes. I had read several less than stellar reviews here on B&B, but I thought the new plate would make it a nice razor, but I was wrong. He said they had 500 reviews and they were all stellar. However, on their website there are only 4 reviews. He also said he uses the razor and doesn't even use the "A"-plate and gets great shaves. I haven't heard ANYONE say that. Oh well, chalk it up to experience and shop elsewhere from now on. It does have a nice handle, but I can't shave with a handle. :)

The MJ-90 with the A-Plate is one of my favorites. I've had good luck with Personna Red and Rockwell Blades. The other plate works well for me with Feathers. For frame of reference, R3 is my favorite setting on my Rockwell 6s.

They're not interested in doing anything at Italian Barber. According to Tom I am not using the razor correctly. I told him I used every angle in the geometric world and did everything short of standing on my head to get everything right. Changed blades, changed angle, changed pressure, shaved every direction I could think of and I never did achieve BBS. Broke out the Rockwell with the #3 plate and achieved BBS in 5 minutes. I had read several less than stellar reviews here on B&B, but I thought the new plate would make it a nice razor, but I was wrong. He said they had 500 reviews and they were all stellar. However, on their website there are only 4 reviews. He also said he uses the razor and doesn't even use the "A"-plate and gets great shaves. I haven't heard ANYONE say that. Oh well, chalk it up to experience and shop elsewhere from now on. It does have a nice handle, but I can't shave with a handle. :)
Lol sounds about right. I made the mistake of buying a couple of their soaps and after a couple of shaves that looked like I used a cheese grater I contacted them. My questions were of concern of getting a bad batch of soap and was referred to a video of the “Marco method” and how I seemed to be the only one who’s ever had a bad experience. Almost 30 yrs of whipping up lather on my side I responded not in kind. Let’s just say that was THE only order I’ve ever placed. Maggards gets my business and cares about each and every item they sell and who they sell it too.

Last edited:
To many places to buy to be accused of being at fault when the product is inferior. That's why when I can I always purchase through Amazon, they have a no hassle return policy. It's no wonder Jeff Bezos is now the richest person in the world.

The MJ-90 with the A-Plate is one of my favorites. I've had good luck with Personna Red and Rockwell Blades. The other plate works well for me with Feathers. For frame of reference, R3 is my favorite setting on my Rockwell 6s.
Same for me on all counts, except I haven't tried the Rockwell blades. In fact, my success with the MJ90 with the A plate is part of what convinced me to get the 6S.

Question....do you reach BBS shaves with the "A" plate, or do you just reach DFS or CCS?

Just wondering, but those who have the razor and aren't getting close enough shaves - have you also tried oil and water shaves (without any soap)? I do it with some of my mild razors when my skin is a bit drier, when I'm in a rush or when a razor seems to lack in efficiency.
It does require attention, but maybe it's something the razor would benefit from.

Just wondering, but those who have the razor and aren't getting close enough shaves - have you also tried oil and water shaves (without any soap)? I do it with some of my mild razors when my skin is a bit drier, when I'm in a rush or when a razor seems to lack in efficiency.
It does require attention, but maybe it's something the razor would benefit from.

Honestly, I have tried everything with this razor. I have actually put it up for sale complete with both plates for $30 including shipping within the U.S., plus I am throwing 50 Astra blades. If you know of anyone who wants a MJ-90 let me know. They sell for $39 plus shipping.

I had similar challenges with the Razorock Mamba. It is the only DE razor that has caused me serious razor burn. I have persevered and can shave and get a passable result with it, but it's hard work.

At what point does the effort it takes to shave with a particular model of razor outweigh the result?

I had similar challenges with the Razorock Mamba. It is the only DE razor that has caused me serious razor burn. I have persevered and can shave and get a passable result with it, but it's hard work.

At what point does the effort it takes to shave with a particular model of razor outweigh the result?

I have too many razors to waste time on trying to get one to work for me. Actually, the titanium handle is worth more to me than the razor itself.

It never ceases to amaze me how much our experiences can differ with a single product. The old adage of "your mileage may vary" strikes again.

For me, I find the DE89 as rough as a badgers arse but I absolutely love the MJ-90 with the mild standard plate. I get a thoroughly smooth and irritation free DFS with 2 passes and when I occasionally do a third pass it's as near as damn it BBS.

It never ceases to amaze me how much our experiences can differ with a single product. The old adage of "your mileage may vary" strikes again.

For me, I find the DE89 as rough as a badgers arse but I absolutely love the MJ-90 with the mild standard plate. I get a thoroughly smooth and irritation free DFS with 2 passes and when I occasionally do a third pass it's as near as damn it BBS.

I have three DE89s one of which has lousey blade alignment unless you set it carefully when you tighten the cap. If you don't it's not a badger's arse you have to worry about, it's a boar's.

The other two are smooth as a synthetic brush on oiled silk.

I have three DE89s one of which has lousey blade alignment unless you set it carefully when you tighten the cap. If you don't it's not a badger's arse you have to worry about, it's a boar's.

I kind of figured that the DE89 I got was a lemon because that many people can't be wrong ;)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
What brand is the one that is rough? I had four different ones. The Muhle R89 and the EJ DE89 are exquisitely finished and shave wonderfully. The Maggards V3 version isn't finished as nicely, but shaves almost as well. I had a Razorock version that was quite rough. I gave it to a buddy and he loves it.

What brand is the one that is rough? I had four different ones. The Muhle R89 and the EJ DE89 are exquisitely finished and shave wonderfully. The Maggards V3 version isn't finished as nicely, but shaves almost as well. I had a Razorock version that was quite rough. I gave it to a buddy and he loves it.
All three are Edwin Jaggers. Different handles. One head just needs extra attention when you load the blade. The other two are perfect.

Question....do you reach BBS shaves with the "A" plate, or do you just reach DFS or CCS?
I can get a perfect BBS shave with the MJ-90 and the A plate, though I've long found that shaving daily I don't get quite the result with any razor that I do when I skip about 3 days and grow some real stubble. In fact, I find the A plate to be equivalent to 4 or 5 on the Rockwell and I prefer plate 3. But I have always had a relatively light beard and it looks like even old age isn't going to change that very much.

Top Bottom