What's new

Razorock MJ-90 Stainless DE89 variant

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Had another shave with the MJ-90 last night. I think it's a no go right now. I did 3 passes with a feather blade. Tried every which angle. Extreme shallow and steep angles as well. No dice. Added a shim. Did 2 more passes. Did a ton of buffing. Barely made it to DFS. I've given this razor more than my usual amount of effort. Gonna save the head for someone that needs a really mild shaver. The handle is awesome. It'll get another head. I have a couple of NEWs that need handles. Sorry this one didn't work out. There are too many awesome razors to keep messing with this one.

IMG_0484.JPG

Can anyone who owns the R89 say how this compares? It was a pretty brazen statement on the improvements over the EJ and or Muhle which I've used exclusively on the road the last 3 weeks and am more than satisfied every day.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Can anyone who owns the R89 say how this compares? It was a pretty brazen statement on the improvements over the EJ and or Muhle which I've used exclusively on the road the last 3 weeks and am more than satisfied every day.

The MJ-90 is at least twice as mild and half as efficient as an R89. If you like the classic Don Johnson stubble look, this is the razor for you. ;)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
^ :001_cool: Me, too, except I paired the handle with my Wunderbar head. :a14:

Right on. Except I love that goofy blocky stainless handle that comes stock with the Wunderbar. It balances off that super heavy head just right for me.

That titanium handle is the perfect weight and balance for the RFB head. Not too heavy. Just enough added weight and size to improve shave feel and efficiency in an already awesome razor.

So I wasted $10 to try a new razor design that failed miserably. Wouldn't be the first time. And the monetary damage has been much worse with previous debacles as well. And I got a great handle out of the deal too! Not a horrible result.

I seem to be an exception in this thread. I like my MJ-90 quite a lot. I get consistent, good to very good shaves with it.

But I also understand why people don't like it at all, as it is very mild.

Is it "WAY more efficient" than the DE89 as stated in the product page ? I don't think so! Is it efficient enough to get the job done ? For me, yes, but I also like some other mild razors, like the Rockwell 6s with plate #2 and Razorock Baby Smooth (this one according to me is more efficient).

This morning I used the MJ-90 head with a Rockwell 6s V1 handle and I liked the added weight. Got DFS+ with 3 passes and some blade buffing. No irritation at all.

One thing that I'm doing that might have an impact on the shave is that I don't tighten the head heavily - just enough so it's not going to unscrew while shaving. I'm doing this with all my aluminium heads to prevent stripping the threads. Overkill ? Probably. The more thight it is, the less blade exposure there seems to be.

Was perusing the new soaps and AS releases at IB and happened to notice they are now offering the MJ-90 with a secondary "A" plate. "MJ-90 Adjustable" as it's being marketed/sold now.
RazoRock MJ-90 Adjustable Double Edge Safety Razor - CNC Machined – ItalianBarber

Alternatively, the "A" plate is being offered by itself at $9.99 - "Our clients have spoken and we have listened!"
RazoRock "A" Plate for MJ-90 – ItalianBarber
Great to see the response to the concerns so many of us had with the product, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the rectification. :confused1

So, the improved "MJ-90 Adjustable" with both base plates is currently offered at the same $39.99 we purchased ours back in May. For those of us that were first in line but were ultimately unsatisfied with the performance of the product it'll cost and extra $9.99 for the "A" plate (plus shipping) to make our MJ-90 as functional as the one being offered now. :a52:

I kind of feel that the "A plate" addendum is a sort of concession that the initial product wasn't ideal. Would've been awesome if the "A" plate would've been offered to us initial purchasers as a "make good" gesture. :sad: Sure it' would've cost IB an amount of money to do so, but boy would that have been a stellar example of customer service and very much appreciated.

So, I guess I'll add the "A" plate to my cart whenever the next time I place a larger order might be. Guess spending an additional $9.99 to make the razor much more useful is better than having wasted $39.99. Since the original MJ 90 was far, far too ineffective to me, I set it aside for a young soon-to-start-shaving fella. At least I can feel confident that the extra expense will make the MJ-90 something that he can use well for a long time.

OK, done ranting. The option is out there for fellas that want to remedy their original MJ-90.

Instead of $40 on the mj90 I just bought a Fendrihan mkll. Stainless steel and as a huge fan of the Muhle 89 and owner of 2 fendrihans I can verify that the razor is everything that razorock claims they improved upon with the 89.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I am a Razorock fan. I understand that a lot of Joes razors are experimental. As such, I have a couple where I don't like the shave. The MJ-90 is one of them. The head is completely unusable for me. However, going through Joes experiments, and getting a couple of duds is worth it to end up with some real winners! Like the Black Mamba, Wunderbar, SLAB, Teck II, etc. And yes, I will get the A plate to complete the MJ-90 experiment, and see if I can salvage the razor. In the meantime, I just love the titanium handle, and use it regularly on an RFB that is in heavy rotation. So if I do salvage the MJ-90, I guess I'll have to buy another one of those handles. :)

Had another shave with the MJ-90 last night. I think it's a no go right now. I did 3 passes with a feather blade. Tried every which angle. Extreme shallow and steep angles as well. No dice. Added a shim. Did 2 more passes. Did a ton of buffing. Barely made it to DFS. I've given this razor more than my usual amount of effort. Gonna save the head for someone that needs a really mild shaver. The handle is awesome. It'll get another head. I have a couple of NEWs that need handles. Sorry this one didn't work out. There are too many awesome razors to keep messing with this one.

View attachment 794370

@BradWorld where did you get both brush and razor stands from online??

Cheers :thumbsup:

What I don't understand is this is supposed to be an EJ DE89 clone, do either of the base plates make it feel like the DE89?

The v1 baseplate is way more mild and the v2 is slightly more aggressive. For me the V1 was truly dissapointing. I like this razor with the v2.

@deafficianado , @Razorman , and anyone else that has used the new baseplate, have any of you used the standard DE89 head to be able to compare the two? I'm in the camp that feels like the original baseplate is pretty darn inefficient, and I'm wondering if paying to buy the new one will even be any different compared to the DE89 which I already have and really enjoy the consistency of.
Thanks!

I feel This razor with the updated baseplate is more efficient but looses a little smoothness in the process. The polished titanium handle alone is worth the price of admission. Two thumbs up.:thumbup:

I went ahead and ordered the A plate. I'm either going to give the whole MJ90 setup or my Baby Smooth to a newby shaver. Want him to have a mild & smooth experience, so I just couldn't give him the inefficient MJ90 as it was first released.
Will see if that's going to be a win.

I shaved one side of face with the EJ89 and the other side with the MJ90 with baseplate 2.0
There is less blade feel with the MJ90. After the first pass there was a little more stubble left on the MJ90 side. The MJ90 aluminum head with coating feels somewhat smoother and the head being lighter seems to equate to more manueverability. After three passes both sides were close to BBS. I prefer the MJ90 because the shave felt smoother.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Just got my A plate last night with my Mamba order. Much improvement. Of course I did this morning's shave with the mamba. But I couldnt help but take a few swipes with the A plate loaded MJ-90 on the first pass. I think it may be a usable razor now at the very least. Found the original plate to be useless. Shaved 7 passes and still had lots of stubble. But this new A plate may be a winner. I will take a shave or two in the coming weeks and report back. So far so good.

Top Bottom