What's new

Razorock MJ-90 Stainless DE89 variant

As far as weight goes it is almost exactly the same as the Gillette long comb New with the ball end handle at 2 ounces.

Here are my first impressions. I posted it on a FB wetshaving group in reply to a question I got.

With only one shave on it, my opinion might change. I found it to be extremely mild - you don't feel the blade at all - but still efficient. It's more confortable to use than the DE89, specially ATG. It's at least as efficient as the DE89. It's perfectly machined, at least mine is. No visual defect and blade loads perfectly. The handle is stunning, IMHO.

I used the MF soap, which is awesome, and an Indian Gillette Wilkinson blade. Finished with the MF splash.

It was a great shave.​

I will emphasize on how mild this first shave was. And I mean it in a very positive way.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It was a great shave.

I will emphasize on how mild this first shave was. And I mean it in a very positive way.

Thanks for the initial review. I love a mild but efficient shave. And love the DE89. I just shaved this morning, so I won't shave again until Thursday. I think I will be happy. My razor does look stunning up close. Can't wait.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Had my first shave with the MJ-90. This was a highly anticipated shave for me. I am a huge DE89 fan. I've got to say this was one of the most disappointing shaves I've had in a very long time.

I started with an Astra SP with around 4 shaves on it. I had three wonderfully smooth passes. I paid close attention to the angle. But when I was done, instead of my typically strong DFS that I get with a DE89, I had a ton of remaining stubble. So to rule out the blade, I swapped in a new Feather. Same result. Smooth comfy shave. But after 4 passes it was barely an SAS. Very disappointing. So i grabbed my Frendrihan MK II stainless, did a 5th pass and got an instant DFS result.

I think I will need to spend the time and figure this razor out. It is so beautifully made, and it looks fabulous. So I am not giving up.

20170601_162627.jpg

Hmm...that's not good. The consensus on the few reviews I've read so far is that the head may be too mild. I'm a bit bummed as I have one on the way. OTOH, $40 for a Ti handle is not a bad deal...

Got mine yesterday. It's a beauty! Very nicely designed, machined, and finished, I was impressed right out of the box - well, with appearances at least.
However, like others are mentioning. I wasn't able to get a very effective shave from it on my first try. I'm no particular fan of the DE89, but was intrigued by the touted "improvements" over that design and went ahead and bought it. Hoo boy is it mild. Is there a blade in this? Sure doesn't feel like it. Like @BradWorld I had ventured into 4 pass territory and still had stubble whereas I'm usually a 2.5 pass DFS guy on just about any other razor I own. Laid a little pressure on it as well to see if I could get it to take a little more whisker, but with all the extra passes, thought I might be asking for razor burn if I'd kept on keeping on. So, to be continued then. I may have better results with a shim, but I want to give it a fair shake with a few more stock configuration attempts. Could be that I'll have to modify my technique with this one, will have to experiment further.

My first shave went well. Mild, but efficient.

On my second shave I had to do a 4 pass plus touch ups to get a satisfying result. I don't really know what changed...

But even with 4 passes there was no irritation.

I will continue to play with it. We'll see.

Sad to hear the initial reports as I had very high hopes for that razor. I always thought the R89 heads were good performers but nothing really great, and I was hoping the improvements would make it better. I guess part of the problem might be the light weight of the razor. Zamak for all it's shortcomings is a heavier head than an aluminum one, and a brass handle is heavier than Ti.

I'm sure the mildness is good for some shaver's, but it sounds like it's not what I'm looking for. I'm glad I missed it when I was about to make a purchase.

To clarify my impressions : My first shave was good, my second wasn't very efficient, but still without any trace of irritation. I don't want people to think this razor is junk. It is very well machined and looks very good to me. As for the quality of the shave ? Too early for me to make my mind.

It's not the first razor I tried that require some time to get great shaves. My first shave with the Merkur 34c wasn't that great. Same thing with the Supply Single edge. Now I like both.

I'll post more comments after a few more shaves.

I absolutely love the shaves I get from my DE 89. I replaced the original Kelvin handle with a Maggard MR 5. The extra weight increased it's aggressiveness to a perfect level "for me". Not sure why anyone would want to "improve" this razor.

I just finished my 3rd shave with the MJ-90 and it was a great shave this time.

I think there were a few flaws with my previous shaves. I used a new Feather blade rather than an Indian Gillette Wilkinson and used a shallower angle.

I've got probably 99% of a BBS, which I rarely acheive or even aim as I'm mostly a night shaver and it doesn't make a big difference for me.

Absolutely no irritation. Not a single tiny weeper. No rough spots.

So to those that are regretting their acquisition, keep trying. At least if you normally like mild razors.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I want to make sure I got what you are saying. Is the Indian Gillette the good shave, or the Feather? And what angle is working for you? Thanks!

I just finished my 3rd shave with the MJ-90 and it was a great shave this time.

I think there were a few flaws with my previous shaves. I used a new Feather blade rather than an Indian Gillette Wilkinson and used a shallower angle.

I've got probably 99% of a BBS, which I rarely acheive or even aim as I'm mostly a night shaver and it doesn't make a big difference for me.

Absolutely no irritation. Not a single tiny weeper. No rough spots.

So to those that are regretting their acquisition, keep trying. At least if you normally like mild razors.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
And i dont regret anything... I think this is a great looking and well designed razor. I just need to figure it out. If its not for me, its not for me. But I will give it a solid effort before I write it off.

I want to make sure I got what you are saying. Is the Indian Gillette the good shave, or the Feather? And what angle is working for you? Thanks!

Indian Gillette Wilkinson : 1 good shave and 1 not so good

Feather : 1 great shave

Angle : shallower is better than steeper

As always, YMMV.

I will continue to update this thread after a few more shaves.

Had my first shave with the MJ-90. This was a highly anticipated shave for me. I am a huge DE89 fan. I've got to say this was one of the most disappointing shaves I've had in a very long time.

I started with an Astra SP with around 4 shaves on it. I had three wonderfully smooth passes. I paid close attention to the angle. But when I was done, instead of my typically strong DFS that I get with a DE89, I had a ton of remaining stubble. So to rule out the blade, I swapped in a new Feather. Same result. Smooth comfy shave. But after 4 passes it was barely an SAS. Very disappointing. So i grabbed my Frendrihan MK II stainless, did a 5th pass and got an instant DFS result.

I think I will need to spend the time and figure this razor out. It is so beautifully made, and it looks fabulous. So I am not giving up.

View attachment 793450
Whenever I see a claim to improve something that's already at the top of its game I'm weary. I use my Muhle 89 about half the year as my travel razor and can't think of anything that needs improved. I don't cut my ears nor has it broke when I've dropped it and I've dropped it plenty and much higher than the claims made against it. I find razorock to be subpar in the world of soaps when compared to the likes of Stirling or B&M so I'm in no hurry to buy one of their newest greatest razors. Thanks for the review.

Top Bottom