What's new

Razorock Lupo SS vs GameChanger 0.84P

want to know what general public thinks of these two razors if they have tried them both and which one for them is better in terms of smoothness, effectiveness, aggressiveness and aesthetically.
Lupo had real hype upon launch but now not many talk about that razor, while Gamechanger is still a hot topic

I "only" have the Aluminum Lupo and GC84 and the GC84 is MUCH more aggressive. The Lupo is a mild razor that does great with a very sharp blade (my fave is Gillette Yellow). I found that the GC84 was too much for my skin as a daily razor, so I sold it. The Lupo works so great for me that I now own 2. One at home and one at my "second home" aka hotel in NJ where I stay frequently. It is a fantastic razor that gives a super close shave without any irritation ever and it is hard to cut yourself with it.

If the Lupo is ever sold in SS without the DLC coating, I will be a customer...but I don't like the DLC look.

I "only" have the Aluminum Lupo and GC84 and the GC84 is MUCH more aggressive. The Lupo is a mild razor that does great with a very sharp blade (my fave is Gillette Yellow). I found that the GC84 was too much for my skin as a daily razor, so I sold it. The Lupo works so great for me that I now own 2. One at home and one at my "second home" aka hotel in NJ where I stay frequently. It is a fantastic razor that gives a super close shave without any irritation ever and it is hard to cut yourself with it.

If the Lupo is ever sold in SS without the DLC coating, I will be a customer...but I don't like the DLC look.

thanks for your input, but what i have read is that lupo SS is abit more aggressive and more effective than aluminum version yet it retains its smoothness and inability to give you a nick.

I have the Lupo SS, Aluminium and the Gamechanger.

Smoothness: Lupo all the way, especially with a Feather. No razor I've tried is such a good fit with the Feather blade.
Effectiveness: I'd give a slight edge to the Gamechanger, the Lupo leaves a few more stubbles behind after 2 passes on my head.
Aggressiveness: Both pretty mid of the road IMO, there never is a moment of concern when using either.
Aesthetically: I hate the Lupo handle. while I have no issues with grip or maneuverability, I simply don't like the look. Also I do prefer the high polish/mirror finish of the Gamechanger to the DLC of the Lupo. The razor looks "dirtier" too due to the coating, as you can see the residue of the lather better. But maybe I'm just a slob haha. Plus points for the Lupo though for having all posts on the top cap instead the plate.

Bottom line: Razorock did well with both razors IMO. I'd love a Lupo SS in a mirror finish (polished), that would put it over the top for me.

Lupo had real hype upon launch but now not many talk about that razor, while Gamechanger is still a hot topic

Well that is probably down to the Lupo SS not being readily available/not in the quantities of the GC.

Last edited:

Smoothness: Lupo all the way, especially with a Feather. No razor I've tried is such a good fit with the Feather blade.
Effectiveness: I'd give a slight edge to the Gamechanger, the Lupo leaves a few more stubbles behind after 2 passes on my head.
Aggressiveness: Both pretty mid of the road IMO, there never is a moment of concern when using either.
Aesthetically: I hate the Lupo handle. while I have no issues with grip or maneuverability, I simply don't like the look. Also I do prefer the high polish/mirror finish of the Gamechanger to the DLC of the Lupo. The razor looks "dirtier" too due to the coating, as you can see the residue of the lather better. But maybe I'm just a slob haha. Plus points for the Lupo though for having all posts on the top cap instead the plate.

Bottom line: Razorock did well with both razors IMO. I'd love a Lupo SS in a mirror finish (polished), that would put it over the top for me.

Well that is probably down to the Lupo SS not being readily available/not in the quantities of the GC.
thanks for the detailed response.
yes i do really hate lupo SS handle, i just wish they sold the head only.
as for aggressiveness, lupo ss is exactly at same aggressiveness as gamechanger 0.84p?

I'd say the GC slightly more aggressive.

The Lupo head does fit other handles if that is a concern to you, I just don't like the contrast of colours between a DLC head and polished/matte/satin handle. And there is no other razor handle with that coating colour scheme.

I have an aluminum Lupo & the GC .84 & .68. The aluminum Lupo is mild compared to the GC .84. However I initially loved using the Lupo but the aluminum version no longer shaves smoothly across my face. Hopefully the stainless is better in this regard. The GC are my daily razor. I can use both every day with no issues. But the .68 is the more forgiving of the 2.

Well my opinions differ which is what makes this hobby so interesting. BTW I love how you categorized the various elements of the razors and I will respect your format and add my experiences as I have used the Lupo Aluminum, Lupo DLC & GameChanger 84.

SMOOTHNESS: No competition here as GameChanger is much smoother than Lupo DLC or Al

EFFECTIVENESS: Gamechanger all the way when used with several of my favorite blades in a 2 pass shave

AGGRESSIVENESS: Lupo is very mild especially the lighter Aluminium version whereas the GameChanger 84 is definitely more efficient and can give me an adequate 2 pass DFS. Also the Lupos tends to drag which is a real disadvantage when going across the grain.

AESTHETICS: The GameChanger's Halo Titanium handle is a real looker and balances out the SS head and IMO is a signature handle for the RazoRock line. I agree that the Lupo DLC looks "dirty" and detracts from the entire razor - not for me. Also the Lupo handles are a blatant copy of Charcoal Goods Bishop handle which for me is a deal breaker - Italian Barber copying another artisan just stinks IMO.

So even though these RazoRock Lupos yield suitable mid range shaves at relatively affordable price points, I cannot, in clear conscience recommend them and no longer use them. The GameChanger with the Halo Ti handle is the best of the three and compares favorably with a Karve (C or D plate I think) at a similar price point. But you could save your money and get a true artisan and fantastic razor from Charcoal Goods - you can't go wrong with a level 2 and you have plenty of handles to choose from.

The Lupo head does fit other handles if that is a concern to you,

you sure lupo SS (DLC) doesnt fit regular handles? i hate the lupo handles and the price is quite high so i thought why not look for lupo SS head only and use in regular handle. so you saying it wont work and i would have to get the full razor.. well that really sucks

Well my opinions differ which is what makes this hobby so interesting. BTW I love how you categorized the various elements of the razors and I will respect your format and add my experiences as I have used the Lupo Aluminum, Lupo DLC & GameChanger 84.

SMOOTHNESS: No competition here as GameChanger is much smoother than Lupo DLC or Al

EFFECTIVENESS: Gamechanger all the way when used with several of my favorite blades in a 2 pass shave

AGGRESSIVENESS: Lupo is very mild especially the lighter Aluminium version whereas the GameChanger 84 is definitely more efficient and can give me an adequate 2 pass DFS. Also the Lupos tends to drag which is a real disadvantage when going across the grain.

AESTHETICS: The GameChanger's Halo Titanium handle is a real looker and balances out the SS head and IMO is a signature handle for the RazoRock line. I agree that the Lupo DLC looks "dirty" and detracts from the entire razor - not for me. Also the Lupo handles are a blatant copy of Charcoal Goods Bishop handle which for me is a deal breaker - Italian Barber copying another artisan just stinks IMO.

So even though these RazoRock Lupos yield suitable mid range shaves at relatively affordable price points, I cannot, in clear conscience recommend them and no longer use them. The GameChanger with the Halo Ti handle is the best of the three and compares favorably with a Karve (C or D plate I think) at a similar price point. But you could save your money and get a true artisan and fantastic razor from Charcoal Goods - you can't go wrong with a level 2 and you have plenty of handles to choose from.

you have really intrigued me on gamechanger. in your opinion how would you rate gamechanger compare to Karve, rockwell 6c, lupo SS?

and if you may, please tell me the aggression on gamechanger 0.84p is equal to rockwell which plate number?

using gamechanger, is it easier to get nicks then lupo or about the same?

I’ve never used the Rockwell multiplate system as seemed too gimmicky for me when compared to a dial adjustable like a Slim allowing me to adjust on the fly.

I did write up a shave comparison in “The World Shave Off Showdown” like 6 months ago comparing the Game Changer and Karve which may answer some of your questions. It is post #4038. Hope it helps.

For me, the Lupo (I have both the Aluminum and Stainless) is my favorite razor. I like both light and heavy razors...so for me, both Lupos perform the same. The GC .68 & .84 are my second favorites. IMHO, the Lupo is slightly smoother and definitely more efficient than the GC .68. The GC .84 is less smooth but more efficient than the Lupo. For me, the Lupo beats the nearly perfect GC by a nose in overall performance. I prefer the Lupo and GC over the popular Muhle/EJ R89, Merkur 34 & 37, Mamba and Babysmooth (all popular razors). The GC is the better finished SS razor and a nicer heirloom and collectable razor, than either of the Lupos. The Lupo and GC are both reasonably priced and for what you get. Both are a great value from IB/Razorock.

thanks for the detailed response.
yes i do really hate lupo SS handle, i just wish they sold the head only.
as for aggressiveness, lupo ss is exactly at same aggressiveness as gamechanger 0.84p?
I have the game changer and even with that 84 Gap its still very mild. I would consider the Lupo to be extremely mild. That’s why I did not buy one

For me, the Lupo (I have both the Aluminum and Stainless) is my favorite razor. I like both light and heavy razors...so for me, both Lupos perform the same. The GC .68 & .84 are my second favorites. IMHO, the Lupo is slightly smoother and definitely more efficient than the GC .68. The GC .84 is less smooth but more efficient than the Lupo. For me, the Lupo beats the nearly perfect GC by a nose in overall performance. I prefer the Lupo and GC over the popular Muhle/EJ R89, Merkur 34 & 37, Mamba and Babysmooth (all popular razors). The GC is the better finished SS razor and a nicer heirloom and collectable razor, than either of the Lupos. The Lupo and GC are both reasonably priced and for what you get. Both are a great value from IB/Razorock.

out of .68 and .84 which you think is better? and when you say .84 isnt as smooth as lupo, is it quite a difference? .84 would be smoother than EJ de89?

IMHO GC .68 is a mild razor, and the GC .84 is a mid-aggressive razor. When using the GC .68 it is nearly impossible to cut yourself and is an "autopilot" type razor. Very smooth but requires more buffing and skin stretching to get a BBS shave. The GC .84 requires a little more care which I personally add to the "smoothness" equation. Most people would likely give both heads the same score on "smoothness". Since the GC has 2 heads, you can start on the .68 and move up to the .84 as your techniques improve. The Aluminum Lupo is a smoother than the Stainless Lupo, due to the DLC coating which has a noticeable drag. There is absolutely no drag with the GC Stainless heads, which adds to the GC smoothness. A highly polished Lupo would be nearly perfect, but it has not been offered. The EJ DE89 is a mild razor and is nearly as smooth as the GC .68. I score the GC .68 as smoother than than the EC DE89, and slightly more efficient. Overall, the GC is very hard to beat, but for me the Lupo has done that. Remember that if you ask ten people, you will get 10 different answers in a traditional wet shaving forum, since everyone has different skin, hair thickness and shaving techniques.

Top Bottom