What's new

RazoRock Lupo - Counterfeit Wolfman? First Impressions

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, as is the often product of too much shave forum browsing I bought a Razorock Lupo in the silver aluminum finish. I was a bit put off by their blatant plagiarism (can you plagarize a razor, or is counterfeit a better word?) referenced in the ad copy. But given the low price ($37 shipped to the US) I thought it was worth a try. It took only six (6) days to arrive from across the water to Michigan, pretty quick given today’s climate … Packaging is nothing to write home about, the cardstock box is consistent with the low price.

There’s no mention on said box or anywhere else of the country of origin, though I’m pretty sure it isn’t machined by a Canadian craftsman like the razor it is supposed to be based on.

So - It is very lightweight, my scale says it is 33 grams, less than my birth year Black Tip Superspeed (43 g) , the only other aluminum razor I’ve held onto. Handle length is 90 mm, guess it is a copy of one of James’s designs at Wolfman though not one I’m familiar with. There were no dings or obvious machining marks on the razor I received.

I tried to shave with it. The first thing I noticed was when I set it down after blade loading that the rounded ends of the cap made setting it on the end of the cap, which I do during the shave when re-lathering, difficult if not impossible. The round ends of the cap (not an improvement) make setting it down very perilous to the blade edge when it tips over to one side or the other. Very poorly thought out ..

After having to jury rig a support to protect the edges of the blade (vintage Schick Plus Platinum on shave #2), I attempted to shave. While the Lupo’s head is shaped, sort of, like a Wolfman WR1 it doesn’t come close, or shave close. It skipped on my beard, chattering without smooth cutting, and the alum test wasn’t encouraging.

Not a bargain – I’ll keep my Black Tip for light days, the Lupo has been flogged off ..

Do you have a WR1? I use the aluminum Lupo for travelling or camping. It's a well made little razor, as far as I can tell. Its true that the rounded ends on the cap are odd, but you can lay it down on the flat bar without the blade touching the counter. Because it's so light you have to use some pressure, or it will bounce. I plan to buy a WR1 when my name comes up again on the Wolfman list.

I had a similar impression on first use. Switched to SS handle and got good shaves. Now I have used the alum handle again and it seems fine. You can hang the razors...

An awesome, well made razor in my book. The lupo game changer and other SS razors from Razorock are very accurate shaving tools. I have always wondered why high dollar pricing is always associated with a razor being better. If this was a razor from the wolfman stable selling for nnn$ - all the very same features would have been raved upon!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Do you have a WR1? I use the aluminum Lupo for travelling or camping. It's a well made little razor, as far as I can tell. Its true that the rounded ends on the cap are odd, but you can lay it down on the flat bar without the blade touching the counter. Because it's so light you have to use some pressure, or it will bounce. I plan to buy a WR1 when my name comes up again on the Wolfman list.

I have a WR1 and WR2. I take your point about using more pressure to counter the chatter, but I have other light weight razors that don't exhibit that fault.

Well, as is the often product of too much shave forum browsing I bought a Razorock Lupo in the silver aluminum finish. I was a bit put off by their blatant plagiarism (can you plagarize a razor, or is counterfeit a better word?) referenced in the ad copy. But given the low price ($37 shipped to the US) I thought it was worth a try. It took only six (6) days to arrive from across the water to Michigan, pretty quick given today’s climate … Packaging is nothing to write home about, the cardstock box is consistent with the low price.

There’s no mention on said box or anywhere else of the country of origin, though I’m pretty sure it isn’t machined by a Canadian craftsman like the razor it is supposed to be based on.

So - It is very lightweight, my scale says it is 33 grams, less than my birth year Black Tip Superspeed (43 g) , the only other aluminum razor I’ve held onto. Handle length is 90 mm, guess it is a copy of one of James’s designs at Wolfman though not one I’m familiar with. There were no dings or obvious machining marks on the razor I received.

I tried to shave with it. The first thing I noticed was when I set it down after blade loading that the rounded ends of the cap made setting it on the end of the cap, which I do during the shave when re-lathering, difficult if not impossible. The round ends of the cap (not an improvement) make setting it down very perilous to the blade edge when it tips over to one side or the other. Very poorly thought out ..

After having to jury rig a support to protect the edges of the blade (vintage Schick Plus Platinum on shave #2), I attempted to shave. While the Lupo’s head is shaped, sort of, like a Wolfman WR1 it doesn’t come close, or shave close. It skipped on my beard, chattering without smooth cutting, and the alum test wasn’t encouraging.

Not a bargain – I’ll keep my Black Tip for light days, the Lupo has been flogged off ..

Great review!! Nice to see the pros and (especially) potential cons of a product. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm fond of big titanium handles with aluminum heads. Aluminum handles just don't work well for me but aluminum heads are fine.

Top Bottom