What's new

Razorock Lupo .95 Open Comb

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Looking forward to your assessment.
@GlazedBoker, I asked you the other day but perhaps you missed my question.

As you know, we both enjoy the Claymore Evolution. I have been dipping my toe into DE razors. I've been using the Gillette British Flat Bottom Tech for the past few shaves. I find it compares favorably to the Claymore.... different, but both give me nice, pleasant shaves.

How do the RR Lupo .95 SB and OCs compare to the Claymore Evo? I plan to add a modern DE sometime down the line but I would really like to end up with just one that performs as well as the Claymore Evo and the FBT. So I'm trying to gather information from people who use those razors.

I hope I communicated that well enough.

@GlazedBoker, I asked you the other day but perhaps you missed my question.

As you know, we both enjoy the Claymore Evolution. I have been dipping my toe into DE razors. I've been using the Gillette British Flat Bottom Tech for the past few shaves. I find it compares favorably to the Claymore.... different, but both give me nice, pleasant shaves.

How do the RR Lupo .95 SB and OCs compare to the Claymore Evo? I plan to add a modern DE sometime down the line but I would really like to end up with just one that performs as well as the Claymore Evo and the FBT. So I'm trying to gather information from people who use those razors.

I hope I communicated that well enough.

My apologies amigo. It missed your question somehow. I'll get a shave in with my Claymore Evo just to get a feel for it again and give you my thoughts on it.

First shave with the Lupo OC today. I will wait for a few more shaves with both the SB and the OC for a detailed report. But for now I will only tell you this - the hype around the Lupo OC is more than it deserves. I get closer shaves with both the R41 and the Green Cult.

The Lupo 95 SB and OC are in a process of comparison with the same brush and tube of cream for maximum objectivity.
I've only had a couple of shaves with my new Lupo OC, but my experience is quite different from yours. It has provided shaves just as close as the R41 without the harshness of the R41. Today I did a side by side with the Lupo and my stainless steel Blackbird. Both were comfortable in the hand and smooth on the face, and the resulting closeness was the same on both sides.

I realize this adds another layer of indirection. But I am in the process of comparing the Blackland Vector (maybe a proxy for the Claymore?) to the Lupo 95 OC. My initial reaction is that the Vector with a Kai Captain Mild Pink is comparable to the Lupo in terms of effort to reach initial BBS. Althought as of this morning, I have a bit more stubble than I would with the Lupo. The Vector with a Feather Pro, by memory, would edge out the Lupo OC on efficiency, but not by a dramatic amount. Each razor offers unique handling benefits, for different shaving regions on my face. And one other factor is comfort. I still find SEs more comfortable than DEs overall, but the difference between these two razors is smaller than experienced with other DEs. I plan to alternate across additional blade variants this week. And none of this is necessarily negative in that I find it a compliment to the Lupo to challenge the Vector for a daily driver. My first DE to have that potential, in my limited run time with DE offerings vs SEs.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
One of the problems I have is confirmation bias. I want others to enjoy the choices I've made. I know it's ridiculous but I know it's there. I try to be as objective as I can..... but shaving is so subjective, that is a daunting task, at least for me.

I once read this on a sugar packet in a Chinese restaurant: we need to learn from the mistakes of others because we'll never live long enough to make them all ourselves. I'm trying to shorten the learning curve by reading what others experience. My method? Try to determine the people here who share the same likes and dislikes I do, have similar beards and skin and follow their guidance. It seems to be working. The missteps I've had in gear purchase have been the ones I made on my own. My initial gear was
I realize this adds another layer of indirection. But I am in the process of comparing the Blackland Vector (maybe a proxy for the Claymore?) to the Lupo 95 OC. My initial reaction is that the Vector with a Kai Captain Mild Pink is comparable to the Lupo in terms of effort to reach initial BBS. Althought as of this morning, I have a bit more stubble than I would with the Lupo. The Vector with a Feather Pro, by memory, would edge out the Lupo OC on efficiency, but not by a dramatic amount. Each razor offers unique handling benefits, for different shaving regions on my face. And one other factor is comfort. I still find SEs more comfortable than DEs overall, but the difference between these two razors is smaller than experienced with other DEs. I plan to alternate across additional blade variants this week. And none of this is necessarily negative in that I find it a compliment to the Lupo to challenge the Vector for a daily driver. My first DE to have that potential, in my limited run time with DE offerings vs SEs.
Thanks so much. That’s the kind of comparisons I need. I am hopeful I can find one modern DE that will fit me like my 16 oz. Belknap Kentucky blue grass hammer does.

I thought that this would be a mismatch between these two but, one actually surprised me. This one is for shave Bro-ham @Phoenixkh as he is a fan of the Claymore Evo as am I. I’ll be brief and to the point as I don’t want to derail a thread that’s exclusive to the Lupo .95 OC. Hopefully the OP won’t mind to much.

7451D670-BE13-415B-B165-E823F7ABE5BF.jpeg

First it was darn hot today nearly 100 F in the shade so, a face chill of the highest order or close thereabouts was a necessity. Stirling’s Margaritas in The Arctic Glacial all the way around was the ticket. It did not disappoint. As normal when doing a comparison between two razors, each one will grab a side and I always do a full 3 pass shave unless the 3rd becomes unnecessary. The Lupo .95 OC I knew would have the advantage in blade feel and I assumed it would pull away from the Claymore with relative ease. I installed fresh Feather blades in each razor. A Feather Pro for the EVO & a Feather Hi-SS for the Lupo. From the first stroke the Lupo proved my assumption right that it had a bit more blade feel and felt that it was with a bit more authority over the EVO. First pass WTG was quite good with both razors getting the whiskers down to skin level equally and that surprised me because the EVO felt somewhat subdued vs the Lupo yet, it countered with a flawless first pass. Smoother and more comfortable over the Lupo, almost mild like. Pass 2 was ATG and these shave razor combatants really do stand out in this pass. Tenacious yet smooth without any mishaps, chatter or skipping from either side. They both mow through whiskers effectively and easily with the Lupo letting you know through a more audible effect that it was slicing & dicing. The EVO felt a bit muted compared to the Lupo but, it still brought the steel to the whiskers. A quick splash and face rub and these two were nearly identical both face & neck. A bit of subtle whiskers near the Adam’s Apple on the EVO side and that I would attribute to the wider base of the AC style blades and being a bit more cumbersome to maneuver in those tight areas. The Lupo just gets in there with ease and clears out those pesky spots much easier and with less work. Went with a 3rd pass but, it was more for clean ups and slight buff work on the chin and jawline. I managed to get a few of those stragglers around the AA with the EVO without incident just needed to do some stretching and minor face/neck contorting to get it done. A splash and feel and I was BBS all around with both of these razors really bringing their shave prowess to the table. I attribute that as well to the super sharp Feathers in both razors as this blade is not as forgiving as other blades in the business. I always feel the slightest of harshness from a fresh Feather blade in any razor and it was no different with the Lupo OC. I felt just the tiniest amount of heat on the Lupo side of the jawline and right at the corner of the mouth where I line up the stache. Nothing major as it was gone within 10-15 minutes post shave but, it was there. I felt nothing on the EVO side as this razor actually keeps that initial harsh feeling of the Feather Pro to practically zero. Shave geometry from the manufacturer is spot on in keeping blade feel on the lower side yet still revealing enough to cut efficiently & smoothly. Conversely, I still needed a bit more work on the EVO side to clear out the stragglers in which the Lupo left nothing in practically 2 complete passes. My face though is feeling great and nicely cooled without any nics or cuts to speak of.

In conclusion, the EVO did better than I expected. It was smoother obviously but, it still cut with authority, comfort and face feel that was better than the Lupo OC. But, the Lupo was definitely the more efficient shaver and I know that with subsequent shaves on the Feather, it will smooth out and really hit its groove. Maneuverability is also in the hands of the Lupo .95 OC. The smaller head profile and DE blade format allows one to really get in the nook & crannies around ones face and neck to clear even the most stubborn of whiskers. And again, though both feel great in the hands the feel and balance of the Lupo puts it ahead of the EVO in my experience. Longevity is the only thing I can’t comment on as the shave was performed only 30 minutes ago.

Time to pull out a frosty beverage and grill a steak or two. Great shaves to all…

Last edited:
Glazed borker do you like the Lupo open comb 95 a lot of as lupo 95 sb? What do you prefer as smooth and efficient? Are very diferents?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I thought that this would be a mismatch between these two but, one actually surprised me. This one is for shave Bro-ham @Phoenixkh as he is a fan of the Claymore Evo as am I. I’ll be brief and to the point as I don’t want to derail a thread that’s exclusive to the Lupo .95 OC. Hopefully the OP won’t mind to much.

View attachment 1501559

First it was darn hot today nearly 100 F in the shade so, a face chill of the highest order or close thereabouts was a necessity. Stirling’s Margaritas in The Arctic Glacial all the way around was the ticket. It did not disappoint. As normal when doing a comparison between two razors, each one will grab a side and I always do a full 3 pass shave unless the 3rd becomes unnecessary. The Lupo .95 OC I knew would have the advantage in blade feel and I assumed it would pull away from the Claymore with relative ease. I installed fresh Feather blades in each razor. A Feather Pro for the EVO & a Feather Hi-SS for the Lupo. From the first stroke the Lupo proved my assumption right that it had a bit more blade feel and felt that it was with a bit more authority over the EVO. First pass WTG was quite good with both razors getting the whiskers down to skin level equally and that surprised me because the EVO felt somewhat subdued vs the Lupo yet, it countered with a flawless first pass. Smoother and more comfortable over the Lupo, almost mild like. Pass 2 was ATG and these shave razor combatants really do stand out in this pass. Tenacious yet smooth without any mishaps, chatter or skipping from either side. They both mow through whiskers effectively and easily with the Lupo letting you know through a more audible effect that it was slicing & dicing. The EVO felt a bit muted compared to the Lupo but, it still brought the steel to the whiskers. A quick splash and face rub and these two were nearly identical both face & neck. A bit of subtle whiskers near the Adam’s Apple on the EVO side and that I would attribute to the wider base of the AC style blades and being a bit more cumbersome to maneuver in those tight areas. The Lupo just gets in there with ease and clears out those pesky spots much easier and with less work. Went with a 3rd pass but, it was more for clean ups and slight buff work on the chin and jawline. I managed to get a few of those stragglers around the AA with the EVO without incident just needed to do some stretching and minor face/neck contorting to get it done. A splash and feel and I was BBS all around with both of these razors really bringing their shave prowess to the table. I attribute that as well to the super sharp Feathers in both razors as this blade is not as forgiving as other blades in the business. I always feel the slightest of harshness from a fresh Feather blade in any razor and it was no different with the Lupo OC. I felt just the tiniest amount of heat on the Lupo side of the jawline and right at the corner of the mouth where I line up the stache. Nothing major as it was gone within 10-15 minutes post shave but, it was there. I felt nothing on the EVO side as this razor actually keeps that initial harsh feeling of the Feather Pro to practically zero. Shave geometry from the manufacturer is spot on in keeping blade feel on the lower side yet still revealing enough to cut efficiently & smoothly. Conversely, I still needed a bit more work on the EVO side to clear out the stragglers in which the Lupo left nothing in practically 2 complete passes. My face though is feeling great and nicely cooled without any nics or cuts to speak of.

In conclusion, the EVO did better than I expected. It was smoother obviously but, it still cut with authority, comfort and face feel that was better than the Lupo OC. But, the Lupo was definitely the more efficient shaver and I know that with subsequent shaves on the Feather, it will smooth out and really hit its groove. Maneuverability is also in the hands of the Lupo .95 OC. The smaller head profile and DE blade format allows one to really get in the nook & crannies around ones face and neck to clear even the most stubborn of whiskers. And again, though both feel great in the hands the feel and balance of the Lupo puts it ahead of the EVO in my experience. Longevity is the only thing I can’t comment on as the shave was performed only 30 minutes ago.

Time to pull out a frosty beverage and grill a steak or two. Great shaves to all…
@GlazedBoker,

Thanks so much for doing that comparison for me. This is the kind of information I'll need when selecting my modern DE when the time comes.

Thanks to the OP, @Dnallehekaj, for his patience.

I agree with you on the R41 front, can't say a thing about the Green Cult as I have not tried it nor do I feel the inclination to do so. It doesn't interest me though, I know that many such as yourself praise it for how it delivers a great shave. I can get an excellent shave and extremely close one with the R41 more so than with either Lupo .95 but, both Lupos are not far behind in approximating a similar result. The simple fact that you can't get a closer shave with the Lupo doesn't mean that the talk on the Lupo line is hyperbole. I don't think anyone here or any other thread has ever compared it to the R41 as being its equal stroke for stroke. All things being equal and in my experience the Lupo in both SB & OC configurations are the easier razors to wield to execute a comparable shave result to the R41 without being as cautious or deliberately executing more attention during the shave. It is very well documented here across many threads and diverse forums that the Lupo razors are a mitigated success from the far majority. To imply that those claims and accolades from the overwhelming users that enjoy it is as being overdone is like saying to the 85-90% of the world population that believes in some type of higher power or deity are somewhat delusional. I know somewhat over the top in comparison but, it's just to show the correlation and disparity of your statement/opinion which by the way you are entitled too.

Happy shaves... :shaving:
I will just say my R41 and RazoRock .95 Open comb are BOTH excellent razors….Both give me a very comfortable and efficient shave. Don’t know anything about the Green Cult.

@GlazedBoker,

Thanks so much for doing that comparison for me. This is the kind of information I'll need when selecting my modern DE when the time comes.

Thanks to the OP, @Dnallehekaj, for his patience.
I'm just stoked about so many people confirming how I feel about this razor! I have plenty of patience for comparisons, and I love reading them. I also don't own the thread, I was just the first to blab about it :)

Well, that's a first. I've never seen the words drag and 95 SB used in the same sentence. Are you speaking of drag you feel from the guard bar itself or perhaps the drag/feel of the blade itself?

If drag from the bar, then yes the OC would likely have less. If what you perceive as drag is the blade itself, then the OC may be worse since the blade feel is just slightly more pronounced.

May I ask what blade(s) you use in the 95 sb and also if you lather your soap toward the wetter end of the spectrum?

For myself, the only sb razor I've really felt drag from was my Karve Overlander but we're talking a matte finished brass guard compared to the polished SS of the Lupo sb. Well, maybe to a lesser extent my machined Ti Blackbird (now sold) but I think that was more blade feel and the way it clamps(or doesn't) the blade. I've never felt any drag at all from the 95 SB but I don't doubt your word and would love to help you solve the riddle.
For example when I shave with the GameChanger open comb I can shave from the top on my cheek to the bottom of my neck with one pass due to the smoothness.

I can’t do that with the Lupo 95 solid bar. There’s friction, there’s drag so I have to take much shorter strokes.

I assumed that was the appeal of the 95 open comb that there would be less friction it would be a similar smoothness as the 84 oc game changer. if the friction is actually being calls by the solid bar dragging against the skin.

I was using a nacets And bolzanos blade. My lather tends to be wet, the last couple weeks I’ve been using proraso green. The shaved are similar regardless of the blade or soap.

For example when I shave with the GameChanger open comb I can shave from the top on my cheek to the bottom of my neck with one pass due to the smoothness.

I've made the same comment regarding the Lupo SB in another thread. One long stroke from cheek to lower neck is no problem due to the smoothness, even over the sharp edge of my boney jawline.
I can’t do that with the Lupo 95 solid bar. There’s friction, there’s drag so I have to take much shorter strokes.

I assumed that was the appeal of the 95 open comb that there would be less friction it would be a similar smoothness as the 84 oc game changer. if the friction is actually being calls by the solid bar dragging against the skin.
For some it may well be. If I remember correctly, @Iridian finds the Lupo OC smoother than the SB. For me, yes the Gamechanger is smoother than my lupo sb/oc but blade feel is almost nonexistent on it.
I was using a nacets And bolzanos blade. My lather tends to be wet, the last couple weeks I’ve been using proraso green. The shaved are similar regardless of the blade or soap.
Well, that rules out that factor I suppose. I go wet also but not blades as sharp as Nacet usually. In my thinking, a sharper blade would be even smoother with regards to blade feel. Maybe your skin is more sensitive than mine and you're picking up some drag from the scalloped bar on the Lupo compared to the smooth one on the GC? In that case, the OC would likely be smoother for you. The thing is, I'm trying to avoid steering you wrong and based on your and my perceptions while shaving, that could easily happen.

Let's hope some other members can jump in here and give you their own take on this.

@GlazedBoker your razor reviews are outstanding and thoroughly a joy to read even if I fail to agree with every little detail. I like how you get into the little nuances of the things that make for a great shave.

After reading, I'm always reminded of that old Aristotle phrase... "The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts."
cheers

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@something better @Sweeney_ I like the Lupo .95 OC a damn lot more than its OC counterpart. It adds the needed extra of efficiency and stays quite tame. As long as one can bear that bit more of blade, I would always suggest an OC. The lather flows through it, I like that a lot.
I wasn't quite a fan of the Lupo DC with its .72 OC and .95 SB side. Both were funnily roughly even in performance. The .95 OC is way more up to my liking. I rather shaved with the GC .84 OC or other razors than with the Lupo DC. It wasn't bad, but the .95 OC takes the cake. I think the OC doesn't wipe away all the lather in one go, maybe what will suit you. About drag, hmm, I wasn't much a fan of the .95 SB with its slightly scalloped bar. Didn't remember drag. Unless you are like me living in Europe, getting the .95 OC head or baseplate shouldn't be too expensive and it's worth a try.

Can't compare the closeness results of the 95 SB and the 95OC to the R41. Both razors fall far behind the R41 with my whiskers.
I could say the same comparing my 95s to my wolfman 1.25, as the wolfman shaves closer - as to be expected from the gap - and yet I still found myself reaching for the 95sb as often as the wolfman. I can get close to the same end result and still shave up to five days straight with the lupo 95 with no irritations and less attention to perfect technique during the shave. I can't quite pull that off with the 1.25 although I know many can. I usually just enjoy the 1.25 when I have at least two days growth.
As a matter of fact believe it ot not the initial result is the 95 SB gives me a closer shave than the 95 OC (same blade, cream and brush).
I noticed the same on my first shave with the 95 OC but I attribute it to having probably over 400 shaves clocked on the SB version. I know that razor like my own backyard. However, I noticed yesterday that my second shave with the OC was actually a bit closer than the SB on my usual trouble spots (less touch-up needed) so I'm looking forward to your own observations.

Top Bottom