What's new

Razorock Lupo .58

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but if low blade feel - high efficiency is on your list, I would be remiss not mention the Start 2 with 0.90 plate I used yesterday, I even mentioned the Lupos there.
Superbly smooth, efficient, while virtually "impossible" to nick yourself. Only downside is it's a bit hard to get hold of these days.
It's impossible to get one unless you find a used one. I emailed them and they said they had no idea when they'd be able to ship again to the US.

I decided to answer this scientifically… I bought a used GC and a new Lupo… :)
Good for you. Sounds like a good compromise buying both as you did. In the end, whichever you don't like, you sell!
But maybe you like both! (I've had that happen), Lol!!

Reactions: Kix
Well. I got a Lupo .58 and it’s still too much blade. I just don’t like razors with positive blade exposure. And the Game Changer .68 drives me crazy with those blade posts on the plate.

So, I’ve got the Lupo on the BST to trade for a BBS!

So many razors, so little time!!
Well I did say it still feels like a Lupo, so I'm not surprised it wasn't potentially a good fit.

I have the BBS too, it's very different from the Lupo. Doubt you'll have a problem with it, it's a great razor.

Still, my two recommendations would be the Era Lvl 4 and ATT Windsor Pro 90SB, both superbly smooth and around the same price. Both have less blade feel than the 58.

Well I did say it still feels like a Lupo, so I'm not surprised it wasn't potentially a good fit.
Sure, but you know the sayings about opinions, right?

I have to try a razor to know. Reading about, and discussing, razors is for fun.

I’ve got a straight trade for a Mamba .70, so I think I’ll give that a spin first.

After that, I may give the BBS a try…

I have both Mambas and prefer the 70. I have all the Game Changer’s and prefer the 68OC. I have the Lupo 58 and 72 and enjoy them both. I agree the Lupo’s have blade feel that can be off-putting but I still use them often. I use a lightweight handle with the 72 so not to cut my face. The 58 can be used with heavier handles without worry. With the Lupo 58 I have to feel around my face to make sure to get all the stubble. Not sure which I prefer but lately I have been swapping between the Lupo 58 and Game Changer 68OC and they’ve been a pleasure. They feel different but provide a nice (enough) shave. Mamba and BBS have more of a curved blade design that can cut my skin - even tho they are mild razors. The one razor I have that shaves very close without positive blade feel is the Tatara Masamune. I have both heads (straight bar and open comb) - which shaves similarly to the Lupo 58 and Game Changer 68OC.

Love the .58. Don’t really like the .72, seems to always give me some kind of irritation. .95 is also good for me but again, can easily get some nicks. I don’t think the blade exposure changes at all as the plates increase. For me, smaller gaps work best for me for daily shaves.

If you are a fan of RazoRock razors, I can recommend the BBS. I prefer mild-medium razors and the BBS is one of my favorites. The cap has more curvature and seems to stabilize the blade better which prevents blade chatter while shaving.

If you are a fan of RazoRock razors, I can recommend the BBS. I prefer mild-medium razors and the BBS is one of my favorites. The cap has more curvature and seems to stabilize the blade better which prevents blade chatter while shaving.
Hi, thanks for that. I have a BBS cap/plate coming. Traded my GC68 for it. Really looking forward to trying it!

Well. I got a Lupo .58 and it’s still too much blade. I just don’t like razors with positive blade exposure. And the Game Changer .68 drives me crazy with those blade posts on the plate.

So, I’ve got the Lupo on the BST to trade for a BBS!

So many razors, so little time!!
I own a GC .68 & .84 & love using both heads with no issues. Blade feel wise it is safe to assume the .58 Lupo has more blade feel than the GC .68? I've been tempted to buy a .72 Lupo but I'm also considering a standard BBS.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:
I own a GC .68 & .84 & love using both heads with no issues. Blade feel wise it is safe to assume the .58 Lupo has more blade feel than the GC .68? I've been tempted to buy a .72 Lupo but I'm also considering a standard BBS.

Thanks,
Bill
Hi,

Yeah, I’ve had a Kai blade get stuck on the GC plate several times and it was a bit dangerous to get off. It’s less of an issue with the Mamba plates (and I’m assuming the BBS) as those plates have a pronounced curve. (This is not my photo, but of another person that had an issue with blades getting stuck on the GC). GC on the right, Mamba on the left.

20220611_212222.jpg

I think all of the Lupos have the same blade exposure, they only vary in gap (at least that’s how the .58, .72, and DC I’ve have felt).

I have a BBS plate arriving today, so I’ll give it a spin tonight.

Thanks,
Bill
I would say the GC 68OC has less blade feel than the Lupo 58 and certainly less than the Lupo 72 (which I only use with a lightweight handle to make it safer for my face). The GC 68OC and Lupo 58 have been my recent go to razors. Different feeling in the hand and on the face. Difficult for me to decide which is better because for me, they are both great.

I would say the GC 68OC has less blade feel than the Lupo 58 and certainly less than the Lupo 72 (which I only use with a lightweight handle to make it safer for my face). The GC 68OC and Lupo 58 have been my recent go to razors. Different feeling in the hand and on the face. Difficult for me to decide which is better because for me, they are both great.
I just shaved last night, for the first time, with the BBS. I think I like it better than all of the others I’ve mentioned. A bit tough around the nose with that seriously radiused head. Going to sell the two Mambas I think.

I never did try a Kai on it so maybe that would've helped. I'd have to take my 33C out of the back of the cabinet in order to try that out, LOL!!
Don't get me wrong, Merkur was my first as well (23C) but I didn't know anything else and eventually discovered that I needed something with more efficiency. But for a start, it did it's job. Anyways, hope you find what you seek and please post your results. Always interesting to hear stories of shavers finding the right one!
LRod
Yeah ,the Kai blade is a game changer in a mild razor.

Game Changer (don’t like blade posts on the plate instead of cap)
I don't like the blade posts on the plate either. It reminds me of getting windshield wipers for my wife's car. Instead of the J-hook design (which every car I've every owned had), it had some different connection which was only on more expensive wipers and didn't work any better. I think some companies like reinventing the wheel.

My Lupo 58 arrived today. Just did a side-by-side comparison with the Lupo 72 sb on 3 days of growth. Truly Impressed!

The 58 has a slight less blade feel than the 72. Results on face and head after a two-pass shave are indistinguishable.

The 58 compared the the GC 84 is smoother and feels more solid. The 58 compared to the R89 has a touch of blade feel (which at times during my shave completely disappeared), is more efficient, and shaves closer.

I was happily surprised with the smoothness and efficiency of the Lupo 58. It would be my recommended choice to anyone new to DE shaving or to anyone desiring a smooth but effective everyday razor.

Top Bottom