What's new

RazoRock Keyhole handle rendered useful in my rotation :D

I was hoping that the RR Keyhole would be a synthetic knot that worked for me, but it turned out to be a floppy mess and my sample stank of burnt plastics 🤢 Since they're so cheap, I felt like postage cost would make a BST sale almost pointless, so I had been harboring ideas of a re-knot for some time now.

Well I finally did it and killed two birds with one stone, trying out my first Maggard knot in the process! I got a Maggard 22mm Finest bulb knot, adjusted the depth of the RR handle to give me a 48mm loft and mixed up the epoxy 😄

One shave in it seems like a real winner, that "basic" Maggard 2-band knot really is nice and dense, I can't see needing the SHD version for my taste in knot feel!

Here are the results:

Attachments

• P8290031.JPG
    P8290031.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 34
  • P8290032.JPG
    P8290032.JPG
    972.2 KB · Views: 33
  • P8290033.JPG
    P8290033.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 31

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I was hoping that the RR Keyhole would be a synthetic knot that worked for me, but it turned out to be a floppy mess and my sample stank of burnt plastics 🤢 Since they're so cheap, I felt like postage cost would make a BST sale almost pointless, so I had been harboring ideas of a re-knot for some time now.

Well I finally did it and killed two birds with one stone, trying out my first Maggard knot in the process! I got a Maggard 22mm Finest bulb knot, adjusted the depth of the RR handle to give me a 48mm loft and mixed up the epoxy 😄

One shave in it seems like a real winner, that "basic" Maggard 2-band knot really is nice and dense, I can't see needing the SHD version for my taste in knot feel!

Here are the results:
Wow, that's nice!

I'm eating chips and salsa while reading this. Coincidence? I think not.

Great work on the re-knot.

I have a 26mm 2 band Maggard standard density and love it. I couldn't imagine what anyone would need an SHD for. Until a freind bought two 28mm SHD knots and had me make handles for them. One for him and the other for me as a traid for making hos handle. Holy Cow that knot is Awesome.

One minor issue with this configuraton (very dense and lofted comparatively short) is that it isn't as much of a lather whipper as a taller floppier knot would be. It's definitely up to the task and doesn't fail to create good lather, but challenging soaps definitely require more work to get past the pasty stage.

On the flip side of that, the tips have softened after just a few uses, so that it's gone from the skritchy end of the 2-band spectrum to truly excellent tip softness, though it retains the ability to scrub a little and massage a lot, since it's so stout.

Top Bottom