What's new

Razorock Help Needed

I am currently looking at three razors from razorock, and I am wondering how they compare to each other (and to my only razor - a prewar Gillette Tech) specifically in terms of aggression and overall shaving experience.

The razors are:
- the “SLOC”
- the “Old Type”
- the “German 37 Slant”

I would appreciate any help or insight you can offer. Thanks!

I've had all 3. I'd rank them like this:

Rigidity:
1. Old Type
2. SLOC
3. 37

Aggressiveness (bite):
1. 37
2. Old Type
3. SLOC

Efficiency:
1. Old Type
2. 37
3. SLOC

Comfort:
T1. Old Type/SLOC
3. 37

Imo the Old Type is the best of the 3.

YMMV

Rigidity:
1. Old Type
2. SLOC
3. 37

Aggressiveness (bite):
1. 37
2. Old Type
3. SLOC

Efficiency:
1. Old Type
2. 37
3. SLOC

Comfort:
T1. Old Type/SLOC
3. 37

YMMV
There you go ! Precise and accurate. Can't see a better compare unless you factor in YMMV !

Rigidity:
1. Old Type
2. SLOC
3. 37

Aggressiveness (bite):
1. 37
2. Old Type
3. SLOC

Efficiency:
1. Old Type
2. 37
3. SLOC

Comfort:
T1. Old Type/SLOC
3. 37

YMMV

Wow, that’s a seriously comprehensive and concise response! Exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks!

I only have two RazoRock razors, an Old Type and a Game Changer (both plates). In my opinion, the Game Changer is better in all respects than the Old Type, although the Old Type is quite a bargain.

I think the RazoRock handle will be a big change from the Tech. I have the RR SLOC and G 37, as replacements for a Gillette Old Type and a Merkur 36 slant. I generally find my slants more aggressive/efficient than my OCs.

I prefer to use the RR heads on a Merkur short skinny handle. You might like the solid SS RazoRock handle better than I did. Fine handle but not what I’m used to driving. The G 37 head is the heavier of the two, so I think it combines with the RR handle better than the SLOC.

No opinion on the RR Old Type. Merkur 15C fills that spot in my line up.

You can buy just the heads from Italian Barber, so you can have two heads, one handle with a small investment. IB does great customer service, btw.

I think the RazoRock handle will be a big change from the Tech. I have the RR SLOC and G 37, as replacements for a Gillette Old Type and a Merkur 36 slant. I generally find my slants more aggressive/efficient than my OCs.

I prefer to use the RR heads on a Merkur short skinny handle. You might like the solid SS RazoRock handle better than I did. Fine handle but not what I’m used to driving. The G 37 head is the heavier of the two, so I think it combines with the RR handle better than the SLOC.

No opinion on the RR Old Type. Merkur 15C fills that spot in my line up.

You can buy just the heads from Italian Barber, so you can have two heads, one handle with a small investment. IB does great customer service, btw.
This is good to hear. I’m hoping that the stainless steel handle will be a nice upgrade, but I guess even if I don’t like it I can always use the handle from my Tech.

Thanks for your feedback

I have the RR37 along with a 34c and a slim. The amount of blade exposure on the 37 is significantly higher than the other two.

I personally like the rr37 the best so far. I have extremely thick beard hair and it is much more efficient and comfortable than the other two razors I have in rotation. You will certainly feel the blade exposure though so if you have overly sensitive skin you may want to keep that in mind.

This is good to hear. I’m hoping that the stainless steel handle will be a nice upgrade, but I guess even if I don’t like it I can always use the handle from my Tech.
I have some numbers that may relate to that.

Gillette Pre-War Fat-handle Tech
total mass: 48 g
handle: 23 g, 77.1 mm
head: 25 g​
RR Old Type head with RR Stainless Barber Pole handle
total mass: 92 g
handle: 70 g, 85 mm
head: 22 g (another one was 21 g, so it might actually be 21.5 g)

As you can see, the RR handle is considerably (almost 3X) heavier and longer than the Tech's Fat Handle
:detective: Now that I compare the numbers, The Tech handle should be a better match for the RR Old Type head (than the RR handle). For that Frankenrazor the balance point is about 5-6 mm below the ring on the handle. I've never actually tried shaving with that combo.

In spite of it being heavier than I like, the RR Barber pole handle is one of my favourites, for appearance and the wide diameter.

If you like blade buffing, I find that an open comb razor is better for dragging lather backwards over the spot you just went over on a previous stroke. And of course they're better (than a solid guard bar) for cutting through week-old stubble or a full-length beard.​

I have some numbers that may relate to that.

Gillette Pre-War Fat-handle Tech
total mass: 48 g
handle: 23 g, 77.1 mm
head: 25 g​
RR Old Type head with RR Stainless Barber Pole handle
total mass: 92 g
handle: 70 g, 85 mm
head: 22 g (another one was 21 g, so it might actually be 21.5 g)

As you can see, the RR handle is considerably (almost 3X) heavier and longer than the Tech's Fat Handle
:detective: Now that I compare the numbers, The Tech handle should be a better match for the RR Old Type head (than the RR handle). For that Frankenrazor the balance point is about 5-6 mm below the ring on the handle. I've never actually tried shaving with that combo.

In spite of it being heavier than I like, the RR Barber pole handle is one of my favourites, for appearance and the wide diameter.

If you like blade buffing, I find that an open comb razor is better for dragging lather backwards over the spot you just went over on a previous stroke. And of course they're better (than a solid guard bar) for cutting through week-old stubble or a full-length beard.​
Thanks for the info - this gives me a much better idea of how these will compare in the jand. That’s quite a weight difference!

Also, your comment re: the old type has got me thinking... my old Gillette Tech handle may look more appropriate on that razor head anyhow!

Thanks

Top Bottom