What's new

Razorock Hawk

You could be right. Just received the 'adjustable' El Jefe head today. Looks much better suited to me than the Hawk. Bigger blade gap and more exposure. Looking forward to trying it.

From the sounds of it you would be more suited towards the Asylum RX or PAA DOC Evolution...

You could be right. Just received the 'adjustable' El Jefe head today. Looks much better suited to me than the Hawk. Bigger blade gap and more exposure. Looking forward to trying it.
Wasn't aware that the El Jefe head was adjustable!! I know what they had releases so far had problems and there was blade play and alignment problems with it, but never knew it was adjustable...

It was tongue in cheek. Many refer to it as the 'adjustable' due to the alignment and play issues you mention.

Wasn't aware that the El Jefe head was adjustable!! I know what they had releases so far had problems and there was blade play and alignment problems with it, but never knew it was adjustable...

Or the General.
I have the General and I probably should've added that to the list with the suggestion of maybe using Feather Super blades in for him... In general though I think most have classified the General as a mild razor overall. In addition the silver head only is on sale over @ Colonial for $25 right now!!

I have the General and I probably should've added that to the list with the suggestion of maybe using Feather Super blades in for him... In general though I think most have classified the General as a mild razor overall. In addition the silver head only is on sale over @ Colonial for $25 right now!!
The original handle is very light and most of us have changed it for a heavier one, so $25 for a head seems an incredible deal. I would have bought a 2nd head, but I'm waiting for the brass version to come out later this year. I use mine with the pro. The super pro makes it a tad on the aggressive.

I would say that the jump from a RR Hawk to the Asylum Rx is significant. That is going from one of the mildest SE razors to one of the most aggressive. A step up from the Hawk would be the SS Mongoose B2 followed by the ATT SE1. Of the SE razors I have tried, the Hawk is too mild for me as well and the Rx was too aggressive, but the ATT SE1 hits the best middle ground for me so far.

For what's it worth, I didn't like the Hawk at first until I tried the Pink Kai Captain blades and Schick Proline P-20. Both give relatively mild, but very close shaves effortlessly. When in doubt, I just use a heavier handle, but since getting used to its weight fully, I can get a near BBS in two passes.
You could also try short Gillette slides with it or lightly tilt the head when performing vertical strokes to increase efficiency.

Satin Hawk inbound. I have been following the elusive Hawk for some time, but for one reason or another it eluded my grasp. No longer. This will be my first foray into the world of Feather AC blades.

How do the Feather AC SoftGuard blades go in the Hawk? Are they compatible? I ask because it says on Italian Barber that ProGuard blades are fine but AC Pro Light blades won't work in it.

Why would anyone want to try the mild blades on the Hawk? YMMV, it's a mild razor with the pro. I never tried mine with the super pro as I'm not head over heels about this blade. I gave both of mine to friends. The first one want's to return it, the second friend who got the chrome one seems to like it.

Why would anyone want to try the mild blades on the Hawk? YMMV, it's a mild razor with the pro. I never tried mine with the super pro as I'm not head over heels about this blade. I gave both of mine to friends. The first one want's to return it, the second friend who got the chrome one seems to like it.

It's what I thought at first, until I tried it with Kai Captain Pinks and then it was both mild and very efficient. Feather Pros didn't seem to work that well with it.

It's what I thought at first, until I tried it with Kai Captain Pinks and then it was both mild and very efficient. Feather Pros didn't seem to work that well with it.
+1
I tried the pro and did not like them. I'll give them another try but I like it more even with the ProGuard.

I love the Kai Pinks in my Feather SS. I actually preferred the Feather Pro blades in the Hawk.

The Kai blades however are my blade of choice in the General.

I prefer the Feather Pro in every Artist Club type razor I have tried including the Cobra Classic, Mongoose, ATT SE1, General and the Hawk. It is a very smooth blade. I find it smoother than the Pro Guard blades.

First two shaves with the satin Hawk in the books. I must say, the finish and quality of this razor are quite nice. Yes, there may be some little things here and there, but I think all of them were under the cap, so out of sight, out of mind. For $25 it is very finely manufactured, indeed. I love the look of this razor, and the long head is impressive. I started with the Kai Mild blades as they were the easiest to open(the Pro's weren't hard to open, just wrapped in plastic:001_huh:). Both shaves were good, but not my closest shave. I do find this head to be mild as others have said. There is not a huge window for angle play with this razor which helps earn the mild tag, but with the AC blades, a mild razor still shaves fairly close. I think I can figure how to get closer with this handle, and maybe the pro's will be good or even the pro super's which are not supposed to be used at all.

I find the long blades a bit of overkill given the contours of my face. There are few places where I can apply the entire blade so I end up using about as much as a DE on any given spot. That said, the lightweight aluminum and grippy handle make this a very nimble razor and easy to manipulate around the face.

I am now thinking about the other AC blade holders...

Anyone tried the Hawk and the general? They have the head available now. Would there be a reason to have them both?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom