What's new

Razorock Hawk V2 coming tomorrow according to IB Facebook page

Interesting that there was no twitter post / notification like they have been doing lately for their other product releases.

Ha! They are still updating the description details as we speak and I'm sure that many have already been ordered without the official description of the changes they've made being posted

From the listing, Here are the V2 changes:

1. The top cap has been rounded for a more organic and natural feel on your face. Shavers coming over to the SE world who previously only have DE experience will find the transition much more intuitive.
  2. We have changed the blade guide posts to pins. The pins allow easier and better loading of the blades, especially the guarded style blades.
  3. We have strengthened the safety bar on the base plate with a new three slot design. This will help prevent the leading edge from being dented if knocked around or if the razor experiences a small drop.
  4. We have updated the handle to our Halo ring design for increased comfort and feel. The handle also now includes a butt end which can be unscrewed to allow for a shorter format. In the future, we may sell different style butt ends, possibly in different materials, to allow for some small customization. Please make sure to drop us an email with your feedback on the new handle.
So mostly minor changes, and also dodges any design patent Mongoose might be waving around.

That bit in the description

"We have strengthened the safety bar on the base plate with a new three slot design. This will help prevent the leading edge from being dented if knocked around or if the razor experiences a small drop"

This has happened to my aluminum hawk. I dropped mine in the sink and right away after one short drop one side of my safety bar was dented inward and totally destroyed the quality of the shave. I was able to mostly straighten it out but it was still noticeably not as good a shave still so I gave it to a buddy of mine who is a millwright and he was able to make it perfectly straight again in less than 10 minutes. Now it shaves great again but has a cosmetic blemish where it was dented in and made straight again.

I am uncertain about how I will like it with the added guard support though because I found that if I didn't rinse the Hawk v1 out enough when head shaving that hair and soap would get clogged up between the blade and the guard support bar and I would sometimes have to take the razor apart to clean it out before proceeding. I know to rinse the razor a lot now so it hasn't been an issue for quite a while though.

1. The top cap has been rounded for a more organic and natural feel on your face. Shavers coming over to the SE world who previously only have DE experience will find the transition much more intuitive.
  2. We have changed the blade guide posts to pins. The pins allow easier and better loading of the blades, especially the guarded style blades.
  3. We have strengthened the safety bar on the base plate with a new three slot design. This will help prevent the leading edge from being dented if knocked around or if the razor experiences a small drop.
  4. We have updated the handle to our Halo ring design for increased comfort and feel. The handle also now includes a butt end which can be unscrewed to allow for a shorter format. In the future, we may sell different style butt ends, possibly in different materials, to allow for some small customization. Please make sure to drop us an email with your feedback on the new handle.
So mostly minor changes, and also dodges any design patent Mongoose might be waving around.
The first 3 major changes in my book.

1. Some have said that the rounded top is not as good for detail work. But V2 looks less rounded than say the General.
2. I wonder which is sturdier?
3. Anything to make these more durable!
4. I'd love to get my hands on that butt.

1. Some have said that the rounded top is not as good for detail work. But V2 looks less rounded than say the General.
2. I wonder which is sturdier?
3. Anything to make these more durable!
4. I'd love to get my hands on that butt.

1. I haven't noticed a difference in ability to do detail work myself either way between my General or my V1 Hawks
2. If the tolerances are similar to the pins in the General than the new pins are definitely an improvement and should hold the blades much more securely. I have to lightly snap the blades onto the pins of my brass General and get a perfectly aligned secure blade every time.
3. The extra bar should certainly be sturdier; however, stronger metal is also sturdier such as what you would get with the V1 Stainless Steel Hawk or the Brass General that has no centre support bars at all on the blade guard - I love that about the Brass General as well.
4. :lol1: I thought that the handle was going to be the same one that comes with the stainless steel Hawk. Glad it's not as I don't have this handle design yet.

The first 3 major changes in my book.

Perhaps. But the page also mentions "The shave geometry has NOT changed, so it will shave the same as our original Hawk..." So #1 will just be a personal preference. #2 is only major if you were having trouble loading blades previously. #3, well, I can be a bit clumsy. I haven't dropped one yet, but it's nice to know it might hold up better.

I agree that these changes seem pretty minor or even cosmetic, especially since there really wasn't anything wrong with the V1 design; however, I personally only rate the DLC SS Hawk V1 to be slightly lower than the Brass General for face shaving but I rate the Aluminum Hawk V1 to be slightly superior than the Brass General or the DLC SS Hawk V1 for head shaving and that mostly has to do with the lighter weight. I am very curious to see how the Aluminum V2 Hawk compares for face and especially head shaving as it seems to incorporate everything I need from both the Hawk and the General to be a great head shaver. These minor changes may be all that is needed to edge the Hawk to parity to (IMO, or dare I say it - surpass) the General

Last edited:
From IB's web site. These just released today so there are not many more pictures other than those that IB posted so far. And the picture I included in the very first post starting this thread - that one came from IB's facebook.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Still not sold out. They either got a huge shipment of them or there isn't as much interest in them as they thought. And here I was worried because I thought they would have sold out before I could get one. Maybe there isn't much interest in aluminum anymore. I also would have preferred stainless steel but for the price I figure it's still worth a go.

Top Bottom