What's new

RazoRock Hawk SS V3 + Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG = Very Happy!

I'm very happy with the RazoRock Hawk V3 (stainless steel) I've been using for the last couple weeks, especially when coupled with the Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG blades. I might have found my shave Nirvana.

A little background: I'm 64, with something like an average beard and not-particularly sensitive skin. I moved from multi-blade razors to DE about four years ago, when my local store moved blades behind the desk, making me wait in the lottery line to buy them. I immediately preferred the DE experience; now when I use a multi-blade while traveling carry-on I feel like I've run a cheese grater over my face.

In DE, after some experimentation, I settled for a couple years into a two-pass shave (WTG, ATG) with a RazoRock Game Changer .84 and Rapira Platinum Lux blades, and have zero complaints: It gives a comfortable, close, and easy shave. I did have to take my time or I'd either get weepers or get premature stubble, but taking my time is sort of a feature rather than a complaint.

I suppose I got a little bored, and I started thinking about the theoretical advantages of a thicker single-edge blade. I had an Eversharp-Schick G8 (what my father used, though my copy was bought later) that I'd never given a fair try, so I loaded a Chinese-made Schick blade. I liked it a lot. I could have stayed there, but the build quality - folded sheet metal and Bakelite - wasn't satisfying. I tried a modern injector which is much prettier, but has a thicker head that made it harder for me to know where the blade was, so my sideburns got messy.

Artist Club seemed like the logical next stop, so I bought the RazoRock Hawk V3, with standard base plate. First pairing was a Schick Proline blade, and I was immediately happy; I like the geometry, with a thin head that makes the blade location obvious; I'm happy with the build quality and feel like it will last forever; and the shave angle came naturally. I needed to shave every day for the first two weeks with this razor, and after 8 days with the first Proline I declared it at least the equal of the GC84. I had to be careful or I could get some razor burn and weepers, but less than with the GC84. The Proline was still going strong after 8 days, but I decided to bin it so I could move on.

Blade 2: Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG. And wow.

I had some initial emotional resistance to a guarded blade; it felt like training wheels. But it's so comfortable! And I have freedom to use pressure, so it gives me more options for areas of wrinkled skin and old scars.

Today, 4th shave on the Kai, was the first time I had the chance to skip a day, and I'm just stunned: It simply wipes whiskers away. With two passes (WTG, ATG) and very minimal buffing I've got one of my top 5 shaves ever, and that includes some 3-pass DE days when I really worked at it.

I'll check out the rest of my Try-A-Blade sampler for the sake of completeness, but I really don't need to: This Kai is great.

I have the 100 mm titanium handle on the Hawk, and the jury is still a little out on it; I like the length, weight, and balance, but it's not a very grippy handle, and if I get soap on my hands (an old puck of Grooming Dept duck today) it's a little slippery. Any suggestions on a grippier Ti handle would be appreciated. And I might try the more aggressive Hawk base plate, not because I need it, but more just to buy a gift for this razor.

Overall, kudos to RazoRock and Kai. This is a great combination.

Tim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm very happy with the RazoRock Hawk V3 (stainless steel) I've been using for the last couple weeks, especially when coupled with the Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG blades. I might have found my shave Nirvana.

A little background: I'm 64, with something like an average beard and not-particularly sensitive skin. I moved from multi-blade razors to DE about four years ago, when my local store moved blades behind the desk, making me wait in the lottery line to buy them. I immediately preferred the DE experience; now when I use a multi-blade while traveling carry-on I feel like I've run a cheese grater over my face.

In DE, after some experimentation, I settled for a couple years into a two-pass shave (WTG, ATG) with a RazoRock Game Changer .84 and Rapira Platinum Lux blades, and have zero complaints: It gives a comfortable, close, and easy shave. I did have to take my time or I'd either get weepers or get premature stubble, but taking my time is sort of a feature rather than a complaint.

I suppose I got a little bored, and I started thinking about the theoretical advantages of a thicker single-edge blade. I had an Eversharp-Schick G8 (what my father used, though my copy was bought later) that I'd never given a fair try, so I loaded a Chinese-made Schick blade. I liked it a lot. I could have stayed there, but the build quality - folded sheet metal and Bakelite - wasn't satisfying. I tried a modern injector which is much prettier, but has a thicker head that made it harder for me to know where the blade was, so my sideburns got messy.

Artist Club seemed like the logical next stop, so I bought the RazoRock Hawk V3, with standard base plate. First pairing was a Schick Proline blade, and I was immediately happy; I like the geometry, with a thin head that makes the blade location obvious; I'm happy with the build quality and feel like it will last forever; and the shave angle came naturally. I needed to shave every day for the first two weeks with this razor, and after 8 days with the first Proline I declared it at least the equal of the GC84. I had to be careful or I could get some razor burn and weepers, but less than with the GC84. The Proline was still going strong after 8 days, but I decided to bin it so I could move on.

I had some initial emotional resistance to a guarded blade; it felt like training wheels. But it's so comfortable! And I have freedom to use pressure, so it gives me more options for areas of wrinkled skin and old scars.

Today, 4th shave on the Kai, was the first time I had the chance to skip a day, and I'm just stunned: It simply wipes whiskers away. With two passes (WTG, ATG) and very minimal buffing I've got one of my top 5 shaves ever, and that includes some 3-pass DE days when I really worked at it.

I'll check out the rest of my Try-A-Blade sampler for the sake of completeness, but I really don't need to: This Kai is great.

I have the 100 mm titanium handle on the Hawk, and the jury is still a little out on it; I like the length, weight, and balance, but it's not a very grippy handle, and if I get soap on my hands (an old puck of Grooming Dept duck today) it's a little slippery. Any suggestions on a grippier Ti handle would be appreciated. And I might try the more aggressive Hawk base plate, not because I need it, but more just to buy a gift for this razor.

Overall, kudos to RazoRock and Kai. This is a great combination.

Tim
The Timeless Ti handles are excellent.
20220616_094506~2.jpg
20220508_085632~2.jpg

I like the Kai Captain Titan Mild. That would be similar to your blade but without the guards.
Interesting. That didn't come in my sample pack, but I might need to try it.

So far, though, I'm not seeing a disadvantage to the guard - other than a 25% cost increase and feeling a bit wimpy. 😕

Interesting. That didn't come in my sample pack, but I might need to try it.

So far, though, I'm not seeing a disadvantage to the guard - other than a 25% cost increase and feeling a bit wimpy. 😕
They are 20 to a pack. Yours are 15 to a pack. You're paying extra for the guard so you might want to try without and see if it works for you.

They are 20 to a pack. Yours are 15 to a pack. You're paying extra for the guard so you might want to try without and see if it works for you.
Ah, I hadn't caught the difference in quantity. The guarded ones are essentially double the price of the non-guarded ones.

Of course, at 3 or 4 shaves per week and 10+ shaves per blade, blade cost still doesn't amount to much - compared to, for example, the Timeless Crown handle I have on the way... Not that Timeless handles are expensive; I was pleasantly surprised by the prices.

But I'll try a Kai Captain Mild before I settle in.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

I have to agree with your great write up on this blade, I wanted to try shaving with a Shavette and wanted guarded blades but was sent regular AC 50mm blades by mistake and so I tried those for a few shaves and you have to be on the ball when using a naked edge blade with a shavette, I needed guarded blades to learn with I figured.
I ordered those Kai Protouch guarded blades instead of the Feather Proguard blades because of the success I had with the Kai SS DE blade.
What a difference a guarded blade makes with a shavette because it helps prevent the blade from digging in to the flesh and just as sharp as a naked blade IMO. Guarded blades are the best blade made by Feather & Kai because they cover a lot of different needs according to them. If you are prone to nicks or on medication for blood thinners and like to traditional shave these blades will help a person stay bloodless better with a good razor IMO. They will still bite if really careless but for most needs they are very good.
Kai Luffy style folding shavette- Mfg- 2017--.jpg

Some old archived photos of a Protouch contacting my skin using my shavette. Prevents digging in of blade edge IMO.
YY Kai Protouch guarded blade AC blade 3.jpg
YY Kai Protouch guarded blade AC blade 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Shave 8 with the Kai Protouch was different; whiskers didn't melt away instantly, and it took more work overall. I was using pressure, and if it hadn't been a guarded blade I suspect I would have a weeper or two. The end result is terrific, though.

Probably the blade is dulling, but I'm surprised; I typically got 6 to 8 good shaves from a Rapira Platinum Lux in my GC.84. Maybe my expectations are now higher.

The Timeless Ti Crown handle is a thing of great beauty and functionality, however.

Tim

But I'll try a Kai Captain Mild before I settle in.
To close this loop - I'm sure you've all been waiting breathlessly :sleep12:- I did three shaves with a Feather Professional. #1 felt kinda rough but was close and irritation free; #2 and #3 started to feel like something I could use, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Today I headed back to Kai, with the unguarded Kai Captain Mild, and had a similar experience to the guarded Kai - a wonderful, close, comfortable shave. Almost mystical, really. The guard doesn't seem to detract from this blade, but it also doesn't seem to make much difference in comfort: Both Kai Pinks are terrific for my face with the RR Hawk V3.

Thanks, @Bengal Tiger !

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
To close this loop - I'm sure you've all been waiting breathlessly :sleep12:- I did three shaves with a Feather Professional. #1 felt kinda rough but was close and irritation free; #2 and #3 started to feel like something I could use, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Today I headed back to Kai, with the unguarded Kai Captain Mild, and had a similar experience to the guarded Kai - a wonderful, close, comfortable shave. Almost mystical, really. The guard doesn't seem to detract from this blade, but it also doesn't seem to make much difference in comfort: Both Kai Pinks are terrific for my face with the RR Hawk V3.

Thanks, @Bengal Tiger !
I just realized yesterday, when I rearranged my blades, I have some Kai Captain Mild blades I haven't tried. I've had excellent shaves with the Kai Titan MG blades. They are equal to my Feather ProGuard blades........ and might be a touch smoother. I'll know in a few days since I have one loaded for my next shave.

I use the ESC Claymore Evolution.... very close to your RR Hawk V3. I seem to be getting very similar results with blade choices. I didn't do well with the Schick Proline P-30s for some reason. They were hmmmmm it's hard for me to explain. It felt like my whiskers were denting the blade from the very start. Lots of people here love them. I bought two packages, so 60 blades. I'll have to use them up sometime but I tried three of them to see if it was me, but all three shaves were a struggle. I'm guessing it is my imagination but like I said, it felt like my whiskers were tough enough to dent the blade. I have a couple lighted loupes I use to inspect the sensors in my cameras. I'll have to break them out and take a close look.

I have not tried any of the Kai blades in my stainless steel Hawk V3, but I have found the sweet spot for me to be the Feather Pro Super blades. There's a bit more blade feel than with the Schick Proline or Feather Pro blades, but I still find it to be smooth and comfortable, and I get a closer shave with the Pro Super blades.

Regarding the handle, I haven't tried a titanium handle on the Hawk. I have used the RazoRock two piece Halo and their Bulldog handle on the Hawk and had no problems with weight, balance or grip. I have the long, one piece Razorock titanium Halo handle, but haven't tried it on the Hawk.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you for squaring the circle, @Tim Meneely I don’t have any guarded blades, but your review got me to use and thoroughly enjoy my RazoRock Hawk V3OC again after a long hiatus. If you just ride the cap, the baseplates are all the same.

I've been using the Feather Pro Guard and decided to try the Kai Pro touch and I am really impressed with the Kai. An observation, the Feather is a little harsh the first and second shave where the Kai is good to go on the first shave. I use it in my Tedulus Essence shavette and it gives a very smooth, close and comfortable shave. Just ordered a good supply of the Kai's.

Top Bottom