What's new

Razorock has a new model of razor DE BBS!

It's been almost a week with my BBS, so here's my (longer) review:

Aesthetics & construction - stainless steel, shiny, appears professionally made. I like the highly curved architecture. Both blade tabs are fully covered, which I also like as I don't have to worry about thoughtless nicks to my ears or nose (or simply grabbing the razor in a hurry). The blade alignment is easy (posts on the cap) and very secure. For handles, my favorites from RazoRock are the barberpole (aesthetically excellent, very good grip) and the super knurl (outstanding for grip, aesthetically very good). I don't like RazoRock's smooth handles.

Shaving - a little blade feel, but pretty minimal. Feels balanced. It glides very easily with minimal drag, much like a Fatip/Fatip Slant (or a Mamba 70). The shaving angle range is relatively small, especially compared to a Fatip, but it's pretty easy to find quickly and isn't nearly as finicky as the Mamba 70. It feels mild/friendly in that it's hard to nick or cut yourself with even decent technique; I've used this mostly for quick shaves before work and it's a great daily driver. It's efficient - a single pass works well enough for a socially acceptable shave, bordering on a darn fine shave. It's as efficient, for me, as any other razor I own (including slants, Fatips, Game Changers, and vintage Gillettes).

Price - excellent for a stainless steel razor of this quality. I like the weight (I don't like aluminum nearly as much).

Overall, I give the razor a 5/5. I can't think of any room for improvement aside from RazoRock coming out with more unique yet grippy handles (I wish their Vertigo handle was available by itself). The closest razor I can compare it to would be a Fatip Gentile/Gentile slant, with a significantly narrower range of angles which makes it feel quite friendly at the expense of versatility in handle angles.

Caveat: I've grown a goatee, so I haven't specifically tried this over my chin or under my nose, but I don't see any issues with that.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
i have the GC68 ...will be interested in your longer term review comparison of the GC68 solid bar and the BBS

Well, I got the GC68 when it first came out. It is so mild I can not shave with it. The only thing that cuts less hair from me is the original mamba, which is like a 54 gap or something like that... totally surprising because the short run Black Mamba is a total beast of a razor. So the fact that both the production mambas were so mild was quite bewildering to me. So the GC68 and both Mambas are way too mild for me. The GC84 is just about perfect for me. the GC OC 84 and Jaws 84 are too rough of a shave for me. Not too efficient, but both leave me with irritation. So the SB GC84 is the sweet spot. The BBS is right around the same aggression level as the GC84. It may be a little more efficient, and it may have more blade feel. But I have not figured out exactly which one shaves closer. After all it is the shave results that matter most. The BBS is quite smooth. But the GC84 shaves smooth as silk. So I would say they are really close. But the GC68 is quite a few steps down towards the "way too mild" side compared to the BBS. The GC68 leaves so much stubble for me that I have to make sure there is a blade in there. For reference, I get a great shave with a Tech, which is super mild as well. So there is something about the GC68 and the two Mambas that doesnt work for me. Good luck.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well, I got the GC68 when it first came out. It is so mild I can not shave with it. The only thing that cuts less hair from me is the original mamba, which is like a 54 gap or something like that... totally surprising because the short run Black Mamba is a total beast of a razor. So the fact that both the production mambas were so mild was quite bewildering to me. So the GC68 and both Mambas are way too mild for me. The GC84 is just about perfect for me. the GC OC 84 and Jaws 84 are too rough of a shave for me. Not too efficient, but both leave me with irritation. So the SB GC84 is the sweet spot. The BBS is right around the same aggression level as the GC84. It may be a little more efficient, and it may have more blade feel. But I have not figured out exactly which one shaves closer. After all it is the shave results that matter most. The BBS is quite smooth. But the GC84 shaves smooth as silk. So I would say they are really close. But the GC68 is quite a few steps down towards the "way too mild" side compared to the BBS. The GC68 leaves so much stubble for me that I have to make sure there is a blade in there. For reference, I get a great shave with a Tech, which is super mild as well. So there is something about the GC68 and the two Mambas that doesnt work for me. Good luck.
I have the Game changer .084 and I thought it was mid range but on the milder side of mid range. I popped in a Kai SS blade and it hit my sweet spot nicely. I would but in a Kai blade in your RR GC .68 gap and see if it improves the shave. The Kai is a wider blade(.009 thousands of a inch or .0045 per side) and is sharp and smooth(pricer than a standard blade) it will help out your .68 with greater blade exposure than the standard blade.

I have now used the BBS for 8 shaves. 5 daily shave and 3 skipping a day or 2. I have used a Kai, Polsilver and a feather blade, all have given me a smooth, irritation free 3 pass BBS. The Kai gave me the longest lasting BBS but all were very acceptable. For me, I don’t mind doing a 3 pass shave, many of my razors can do it in 2, but the BBS is on the mild side of mid aggressive but continues to deliver a smooth, mindless BBS shave

You guys convinced me, I’ve been waiting for the GC84 to come back in but after reading all of the positive BBS Reviews I ordered one with the only handle left in stock moments ago, the Bulldog handle.

I am sure if I don’t like it for some reason it will be easy to sell.

I have now used the BBS for 8 shaves. 5 daily shave and 3 skipping a day or 2. I have used a Kai, Polsilver and a feather blade, all have given me a smooth, irritation free 3 pass BBS. The Kai gave me the longest lasting BBS but all were very acceptable. For me, I don’t mind doing a 3 pass shave, many of my razors can do it in 2, but the BBS is on the mild side of mid aggressive but continues to deliver a smooth, mindless BBS shave
So in your mind, it is a great daily driver? Has the slightly different angle caused you any issues?

So in your mind, it is a great daily driver? Has the slightly different angle caused you any issues?
No, the angle seems intuitive for me, I do get some mild audio feedback to know I’m hitting the sweet spot. For me it is much easier than a Feather ASD2. I put it right behind my favorite daily drivers the Timeless Ti .68 OC, RS10 Ti mild, Diamondback and the Charcoal Goods level 2

No, the angle seems intuitive for me, I do get some mild audio feedback to know I’m hitting the sweet spot. For me it is much easier than a Feather ASD2. I put it right behind my favorite daily drivers the Timeless Ti .68 OC, RS10 Ti mild, Diamondback and the Charcoal Goods level 2
Is the proper angle very narrow and hard to maintain throughout the shave?
Eric

First use today. Its a good razor. Very smooth. I feel that may have led me to apply slightly more pressure than I should have but no harm done. Would definitely consider it a mild razor. Though the shave was pretty close I have a feeling that the stubble will resurface slightly faster than my other razors. The razor is more 'curved' but that really was not much of an issue for me. Was pretty intuitive (for me) to figure out that shaving angle.

I definitely think it can be a daily driver for a lot of folks though. And hard to beat for that price.

In comparing the BBS to the Baby Smooth and the Mambas, is this a case of if you liked the Baby Smooth and the Mambas you will like the BBS ,and if you did not like those razors you will probably not like the BBS?

eric

First use today. Its a good razor. Very smooth. I feel that may have led me to apply slightly more pressure than I should have but no harm done. Would definitely consider it a mild razor. Though the shave was pretty close I have a feeling that the stubble will resurface slightly faster than my other razors. The razor is more 'curved' but that really was not much of an issue for me. Was pretty intuitive (for me) to figure out that shaving angle.

I definitely think it can be a daily driver for a lot of folks though. And hard to beat for that price.
So you would perhaps say that a person who uses a Tech most days will be happy with the BBS? I have one coming.

So you would perhaps say that a person who uses a Tech most days will be happy with the BBS? I have one coming.

Sorry, I have never used a Tech so cannot really speak to that.

It is definitely a lot milder than all my 3 DE's: Blackland Blackbird, Timeless Ti 0.95, Rockwell 6S (at #4 plate). The experience today kind of reminded me of my 1st shave with the Blackland Sabre L1. Smooth to the point where I could not tell if it was even doing its job (it was). Also, requires more passes (or touch ups) than my other razors but also requires less attention because of its milder nature.

Asked in another thread, but I didn't hear back. . .
Is this simply a Baby Smooth in stainless?
. . . because I already have a Baby Smooth.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I would but in a Kai blade in your RR GC .68 gap and see if it improves the shave. The Kai is a wider blade(.009 thousands of a inch or .0045 per side) and is sharp and smooth(pricer than a standard blade) it will help out your .68 with greater blade exposure than the standard blade.

I have a bunch of Kai blades and dont like them. They are harsh for me. And I get nicked up a bit whenever I try one. Regarding the GC 68, I have so many razors that work so well, that there is no real reason for me to monkey with it. I just keep the baseplate so I have a full set of GCs. The 84 works really well for me, so I will keep using that one. One day I will dump the GCs I dont use. But for now I am going to keep them for a bit.

I skipped a day to see how the Razorock BBS-SS would handle 2 full days of growth and also decided to throw it up against the Razorock Mamba .70. Wanted to see out of my own personal curiosity if there are any similarities in shave performance or they are both going in different directions. Again, these are just my personal shave experiences with these two razors and just my personal opinion of said razors performances.

As you Gents can see in the below pic, they are close enough in looks by stating they are in the ballpark but, they are not very close in looks or function. I will just say similar in terms of shave performance but, nowhere near identical.

BBS-SS left, Mamba .70 right...
View attachment 1133484

I won’t get into technical specs for each razor as there is quite a bit of info at the IB site including information on multiple forums across the web that one can search for at their leisure. But, just by looking at both razors, the BBS-SS has more of a curve built into it over the Mamba .70. In theory, that should make the blade more rigidly held in the BBS-SS over the Mamba .70. I will say this, that during the shave I could not tell which of the two razors felt more rigid as they both hold it firmly and are clamped vise like.

I used the same 2 blades that I shaved with in the previous shave with the GC .68-P & BBS-SS which is the Tatra Platinum with one use on each blade. Soap was a different test sample in the Sandalwood flavor from Stone Cottage. The Bayberry & Sandalwood both performed brilliantly in these shave offs and I can’t find a fault in the soaps performance. Good stuff.

THE SHAVE
I went with a full 3 pass shave just to get in a proper shave in which that’s what is considered the norm in wet shavedom. I like to do 2 passes with an ATG/XTG hybrid pass but, changed it up to go with a more standard approach that most use. Assigned the BBS-SS on the Left, the Mamba .70 on the Right. Applied the lather from my soap bowl build and painted on a luscious feeling and dense lather that was second to none. On the first pass which was WTG, the Mamba .70 on the right went to work smoothly and nearly devoid of any blade feel. Cleared the whiskers nicely from burns to lower neck and right of Sir Adam. Up came the BBS-SS on the left and went WTG from burns to lower neck and left of Sir Adam removing the whiskers with a slight oomph in audible feedback and just the tiniest bit of more blade feel vs the Mamba .70. Still maintaining excellent smoothness while kicking up the sound of its whisker whacking ability. Ice water rinse, relathered for pass #2 and went from burns to stache and nose area on the cheeks/jawline & the neck just below the ears to Sir Adam on both sides. Both razors handled this action amazingly well with the utmost in comfort and smoothness. Still, I felt more bass & sound coming from the BBS-SS over the Mamba .70. A quick face feel and I felt the slightest edge in that the BBS-SS side had me near a DFS+ finish with just some very light stubble hanging on stubbornly along the side of Sir Adam and the chin. The Mamba .70 side was close but, felt like it left a few more whiskers and I felt the lightest patch of stubble from the jawline to about mid-ear height as well. No biggie as the third pass would take care of these stragglers without a hitch. Ice water rinse, relathered for pass #3 and went from south to north, lower neck to end of the burns on both sides. Went with the Mamba .70 first and just as smooth, easy and carefree as it can get. Cleared out the lather on the right side and a quick feel. Glass like smoothness along the cheeks and jawline but, still had a couple of stubborn whiskers near Sir Adam with a small patch leading to the bend at the chin. Wet my finger tips with some residual soap and banged those 2 spots with a few strokes and a quick half side chin buff. Quick feel and it was a newborns bottom. Went over to the left and the BBS-SS went to work with authority and decisiveness with that extra bit of audible feedback. This razor loves the ATG pass without question. I cleared out the suds and did a quick face feel. Nothing. I mean it was buttery smooth feeling without a single whisker left standing. I put down the razor, did a nice Ice water rinse and felt all over. Yes, a glorious BBS finish on both sides. Finite.......
View attachment 1133483

As tradition goes with a standard 3 pass shave, the BBS-SS did it’s job without a single touch up pass and in giving a smooth BBS finish. The Mamba .70 gave me the exact same finish but, required an extra few strokes here and there to fully clear out the whiskers and deliver the baby buttocks finish. Both were excellent in that that wasn’t any irritation to speak of, ditto for any weepers, nics and such. It was just a darn good shave. It wasn’t a knockout victory or unanimous decision but, there is a winner though via decision in this shave off as it was a close one.

The BBS-SS by Split Decision. Why? It felt just as smooth as the Mamba .70 while exhibiting a bit more blade feel and turning up the audible feedback especially on the ATG pass. It can be used identically as the Mamba .70 in that you can run this razor with ease around your face without much fear of cutting or nicking oneself. It’s equal to the Mamba .70 in comfort and smoothness while slightly amping up its cutting ability and giving the shaver that intangible of confidence in knowing the angle is on and it’s singing while laying waste to whiskers.

If you enjoy a smooth, comfortable daily shave without having to worry if you’re wide awake or just beat up after a long hard day of activities, either one will fit the bill marvelously. For me, the Razorock BBS-SS does it just a tad bit better.........

View attachment 1133506
Just curious, what batch number of Aventus do you have there?

Top Bottom