What's new

Razorock has a new model of razor DE BBS!

The SS version is very nice! Here it is compared to the aluminum. The SS reminds me of the Mamba 70 in looks, smoothness and mildness. After several more shaves I will be able to determine which works better for me - or if I’ll just enjoy the difference and switch them up now and then.

My first shave left me impressed with how irritation free it was as well as how easily I could shave under and around my nostrils. RR did a wonderful job with this one.
68DF88A2-EA05-4186-B96E-85358439CF75.jpeg
DAC99041-8BFB-4155-8B57-8A7BE66CC517.jpeg

I skipped a day to see how the Razorock BBS-SS would handle 2 full days of growth and also decided to throw it up against the Razorock Mamba .70. Wanted to see out of my own personal curiosity if there are any similarities in shave performance or they are both going in different directions. Again, these are just my personal shave experiences with these two razors and just my personal opinion of said razors performances.

As you Gents can see in the below pic, they are close enough in looks by stating they are in the ballpark but, they are not very close in looks or function. I will just say similar in terms of shave performance but, nowhere near identical.

BBS-SS left, Mamba .70 right...
530266A5-14E8-40FA-9BE1-3520DEDFD8FC.jpeg

I won’t get into technical specs for each razor as there is quite a bit of info at the IB site including information on multiple forums across the web that one can search for at their leisure. But, just by looking at both razors, the BBS-SS has more of a curve built into it over the Mamba .70. In theory, that should make the blade more rigidly held in the BBS-SS over the Mamba .70. I will say this, that during the shave I could not tell which of the two razors felt more rigid as they both hold it firmly and are clamped vise like.

I used the same 2 blades that I shaved with in the previous shave with the GC .68-P & BBS-SS which is the Tatra Platinum with one use on each blade. Soap was a different test sample in the Sandalwood flavor from Stone Cottage. The Bayberry & Sandalwood both performed brilliantly in these shave offs and I can’t find a fault in the soaps performance. Good stuff.

THE SHAVE
I went with a full 3 pass shave just to get in a proper shave in which that’s what is considered the norm in wet shavedom. I like to do 2 passes with an ATG/XTG hybrid pass but, changed it up to go with a more standard approach that most use. Assigned the BBS-SS on the Left, the Mamba .70 on the Right. Applied the lather from my soap bowl build and painted on a luscious feeling and dense lather that was second to none. On the first pass which was WTG, the Mamba .70 on the right went to work smoothly and nearly devoid of any blade feel. Cleared the whiskers nicely from burns to lower neck and right of Sir Adam. Up came the BBS-SS on the left and went WTG from burns to lower neck and left of Sir Adam removing the whiskers with a slight oomph in audible feedback and just the tiniest bit of more blade feel vs the Mamba .70. Still maintaining excellent smoothness while kicking up the sound of its whisker whacking ability. Ice water rinse, relathered for pass #2 and went from burns to stache and nose area on the cheeks/jawline & the neck just below the ears to Sir Adam on both sides. Both razors handled this action amazingly well with the utmost in comfort and smoothness. Still, I felt more bass & sound coming from the BBS-SS over the Mamba .70. A quick face feel and I felt the slightest edge in that the BBS-SS side had me near a DFS+ finish with just some very light stubble hanging on stubbornly along the side of Sir Adam and the chin. The Mamba .70 side was close but, felt like it left a few more whiskers and I felt the lightest patch of stubble from the jawline to about mid-ear height as well. No biggie as the third pass would take care of these stragglers without a hitch. Ice water rinse, relathered for pass #3 and went from south to north, lower neck to end of the burns on both sides. Went with the Mamba .70 first and just as smooth, easy and carefree as it can get. Cleared out the lather on the right side and a quick feel. Glass like smoothness along the cheeks and jawline but, still had a couple of stubborn whiskers near Sir Adam with a small patch leading to the bend at the chin. Wet my finger tips with some residual soap and banged those 2 spots with a few strokes and a quick half side chin buff. Quick feel and it was a newborns bottom. Went over to the left and the BBS-SS went to work with authority and decisiveness with that extra bit of audible feedback. This razor loves the ATG pass without question. I cleared out the suds and did a quick face feel. Nothing. I mean it was buttery smooth feeling without a single whisker left standing. I put down the razor, did a nice Ice water rinse and felt all over. Yes, a glorious BBS finish on both sides. Finite.......
2E33A98C-22D7-4143-AE7C-3BB490142336.jpeg

As tradition goes with a standard 3 pass shave, the BBS-SS did it’s job without a single touch up pass and in giving a smooth BBS finish. The Mamba .70 gave me the exact same finish but, required an extra few strokes here and there to fully clear out the whiskers and deliver the baby buttocks finish. Both were excellent in that that wasn’t any irritation to speak of, ditto for any weepers, nics and such. It was just a darn good shave. It wasn’t a knockout victory or unanimous decision but, there is a winner though via decision in this shave off as it was a close one.

The BBS-SS by Split Decision. Why? It felt just as smooth as the Mamba .70 while exhibiting a bit more blade feel and turning up the audible feedback especially on the ATG pass. It can be used identically as the Mamba .70 in that you can run this razor with ease around your face without much fear of cutting or nicking oneself. It’s equal to the Mamba .70 in comfort and smoothness while slightly amping up its cutting ability and giving the shaver that intangible of confidence in knowing the angle is on and it’s singing while laying waste to whiskers.

If you enjoy a smooth, comfortable daily shave without having to worry if you’re wide awake or just beat up after a long hard day of activities, either one will fit the bill marvelously. For me, the Razorock BBS-SS does it just a tad bit better.........

A146B88B-56AC-4F78-8720-7E7DB84395E3.jpeg

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I skipped a day to see how the Razorock BBS-SS would handle 2 full days of growth and also decided to throw it up against the Razorock Mamba .70. Wanted to see out of my own personal curiosity if there are any similarities in shave performance or they are both going in different directions. Again, these are just my personal shave experiences with these two razors and just my personal opinion of said razors performances.

As you Gents can see in the below pic, they are close enough in looks by stating they are in the ballpark but, they are not very close in looks or function. I will just say similar in terms of shave performance but, nowhere near identical.

View attachment 1133484

I won’t get into technical specs for each razor as there is quite a bit of info at the IB site including information on multiple forums across the web that one can search for at their leisure. But, just by looking at both razors, the BBS-SS has more of a curve built into it over the Mamba .70. In theory, that should make the blade more rigidly held in the BBS-SS over the Mamba .70. I will say this, that during the shave I could not tell which of the two razors felt more rigid as they both hold it firmly and are clamped vise like.

I used the same 2 blades that I shaved with in the previous shave with the GC .68-P & BBS-SS which is the Tatra Platinum with one use on each blade. Soap was a different test sample in the Sandalwood flavor from Stone Cottage. The Bayberry & Sandalwood both performed brilliantly in these shave offs and I can’t find a fault in the soaps performance. Good stuff.

THE SHAVE
I went with a full 3 pass shave just to get in a proper shave in which that’s what is considered the norm in wet shavedom. I like to do 2 passes with an ATG/XTG hybrid pass but, changed it up to go with a more standard approach that most use. Assigned the BBS-SS on the Left, the Mamba .70 on the Right. Applied the lather from my soap bowl build and painted on a luscious feeling and dense lather that was second to none. On the first pass which was WTG, the Mamba .70 on the right went to work smoothly and nearly devoid of any blade feel. Cleared the whiskers nicely from burns to lower neck and right of Sir Adam. Up came the BBS-SS on the left and went WTG from burns to lower neck and left of Sir Adam removing the whiskers with a slight oomph in audible feedback and just the tiniest bit of more blade feel vs the Mamba .70. Still maintaining excellent smoothness while kicking up the sound of its whisker whacking ability. Ice water rinse, relathered for pass #2 and went from burns to stache and nose area on the cheeks/jawline & the neck just below the ears to Sir Adam on both sides. Both razors handled this action amazingly well with the utmost in comfort and smoothness. Still, I felt more bass & sound coming from the BBS-SS over the Mamba .70. A quick face feel and I felt the slightest edge in that the BBS-SS side had me near a DFS+ finish with just some very light stubble hanging on stubbornly along the side of Sir Adam and the chin. The Mamba .70 side was close but, felt like it left a few more whiskers and I felt the lightest patch of stubble from the jawline to about mid-ear height as well. No biggie as the third pass would take care of these stragglers without a hitch. Ice water rinse, relathered for pass #3 and went from south to north, lower neck to end of the burns on both sides. Went with the Mamba .70 first and just as smooth, easy and carefree as it can get. Cleared out the lather on the right side and a quick feel. Glass like smoothness along the cheeks and jawline but, still had a couple of stubborn whiskers near Sir Adam with a small patch leading to the bend at the chin. Wet my finger tips with some residual soap and banged those 2 spots with a few strokes and a quick half side chin buff. Quick feel and it was a newborns bottom. Went over to the left and the BBS-SS went to work with authority and decisiveness with that extra bit of audible feedback. This razor loves the ATG pass without question. I cleared out the suds and did a quick face feel. Nothing. I mean it was buttery smooth feeling without a single whisker left standing. I put down the razor, did a nice Ice water rinse and felt all over. Yes, a glorious BBS finish on both sides. Finite.......
View attachment 1133483

As tradition goes with a standard 3 pass shave, the BBS-SS did it’s job without a single touch up pass and in giving a smooth BBS finish. The Mamba .70 gave me the exact same finish but, required an extra few strokes here and there to fully clear out the whiskers and deliver the baby buttocks finish. Both were excellent in that that wasn’t any irritation to speak of, ditto for any weepers, nics and such. It was just a darn good shave. It wasn’t a knockout victory or unanimous decision but, there is a winner though via decision in this shave off as it was a close one.

The BBS-SS by Split Decision. Why? It felt just as smooth as the Mamba .70 while exhibiting a bit more blade feel and turning up the audible feedback especially on the ATG pass. It can be used identically as the Mamba .70 in that you can run this razor with ease around your face without much fear of cutting or nicking oneself. It’s equal to the Mamba .70 in comfort and smoothness while slightly amping up its cutting ability and giving the shaver that intangible of confidence in knowing the angle is on and it’s singing while laying waste to whiskers.

If you enjoy a smooth, comfortable daily shave without having to worry if you’re wide awake or just beat up after a long hard day of activities, either one will fit the bill marvelously. For me, the Razorock BBS-SS does it just a tad bit better.........

View attachment 1133506

Excellent review and comparison!

Will definitely grab one when the heads become available separately.

Quick question, if I may: In your opinion, if someone has a Mamba 70 is it worth getting the BBS?

Excellent review and comparison!

Will definitely grab one when the heads become available separately.

Quick question, if I may: In your opinion, if someone has a Mamba 70 is it worth getting the BBS?

No, not really. If one has the Mamba .70 it would just be redundant. It’s not a must have unless one owns the .53 version of the Mamba. But, if you own neither of the Mamba variants, the BBS-SS is an excellent alternative. And thank you.....

View attachment 1133484

THE SHAVE
View attachment 1133483

View attachment 1133506

Awesome review. Love your writing style . Thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick review - shaved with my BBS today. Very comfortable and friendly, efficient, 5/5. Like a Mamba 70 but slightly closer/more efficient? Definitely worth it. The Super Knurl handle is nice as well (although RazoRock's barberpole is even nicer imho). Zero complaints. Glides well, no exposed tab edges, blade held very precisely and securely in place.

Thank you Glazed! I feel the same about the Mamba70 and SS BBS. Second shave with the BBS confirmed to me how similar it is to the Mamba70. And I do feel the BBS got me a bit smoother. They feel different enough to keep both as there is more blade feel with the BBS. If you own neither but wanted both your suggestion to get the Mamba53 and BBS is a good one.

I gave the BBS my biggest challenge 3 days beard growth. Thats the longest I ever go unless I'm growing a beard. Loaded up a twice used Polsilver and the BBS once again gave me a very smooth, carefree 3 pass BBS. I don't have a Mamba or Baby Smooth to compare it to, but I have to say this is one very smooth razor, I definitely need 3 passes to get BBS but it sure is a carefree 3 passes.

Shave #2 with the BBS. Shaves as smoothly as the Mamba 70, and feels like it shaves more closely (roughly as good as a GC .68, although I haven't directly compared the 2 yet). Shaving angle is easier to find than the Mamba 70, with slightly more blade feel. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the BBS over the Mamba 70, and I like my Mamba 70.

I took my BBS SS for a test drive this morning. It is my first Razorock razor and I am incredibly impressed with the construction, design, manufacturing in Canada and price. I have seen this referred to as a mild razor, but I would say it is very efficient, but feels mild. For comparison my daily driver is a BB OC and I get a similarly close, irritation free shave with the BBS. If I had to rank these razors the BBS would be in my top 3 with the BB OC and Rex Ambassador, edging out the Timeless Ti (.95 SB and OC) and Carbon Cx (until I can try a + or ++ plate).

My BBS shave started to turn to DFS after about 8 hours.

I have to add - the Game Changers and now BBS are really excellent razors. I'm pleasantly surprised and happy with RazoRock's offerings, and so you can definitely consider me a RazoRock fan. Between RazoRock and Fatip (and Merkur), I'm very pleased with my modern razor collection. If I had to trim it down? RazoRock BBS and GC 0.68, Fatip Gentile (sland and regular), Merkur safety bar and Progress. Fortunately, I don't! ;-) Rankings a little subject to change, but I really like the aforementioned 6. The Mamba 70 is nice, but the BBS fixes the efficiency/finding the right angle issue so I consider the BBS a "better Mamba".

i just got my new BBS in the mail, and waited a few days to give it a good workout. I pretty much agree with the remarks so far, but my beard (and technique) is a little different. I used a Gillette Silver Blue blade:

1. The BBS is shiny and elegant, but I was surprised how the razor clamped the blade with zero vibration. For example, on my Rockwell 6S, I've always been aware of a small amount of vibration as I shaved. If I shaved slowly and carefully, there was never a hint of irritation resulting from the small vibrations. With the BBS, there's absolutely zero vibration while shaving.

2. The BBS is moderate-to-mild - roughly the aggressiveness of a Gillette Aristocrat Junior. Even with a few days growth, there's zero tugging. A good part of this is due to the way the razor clamps the blade into place. If I have multiple days worth of growth, I'm sticking the BBS. Tugging isn't possible with a BBS. There is a modest blade feel, and absolutely no nicks or cuts. There was noticeably more efficiency with the BBS; not as much need to shave the same area repeatedly.

3. My beard grows slowly, so I shave with only one pass. My beard requires only about 200 strokes or so finish. It took me about the same time to shave on different razors.

The BBS makes for a fast, easy shave. Even using pressure, it's hard to cause much irritation with they razor.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I had my first shave with the RR BBS razor today. I like it. It works much better than the Mamba 70 for me. I got a much better and closer shave with the BBS. I have all the Mambas and most of the Game Changers. This hangs with the best of them. My prior fav was the GC 84 solid bar. Not sure if this one will surpass that one. But time will tell the tale. Enjoy fellas.

I had my first shave with the RR BBS razor today. I like it. It works much better than the Mamba 70 for me. I got a much better and closer shave with the BBS. I have all the Mambas and most of the Game Changers. This hangs with the best of them. My prior fav was the GC 84 solid bar. Not sure if this one will surpass that one. But time will tell the tale. Enjoy fellas.
i have the GC68 ...will be interested in your longer term review comparison of the GC68 solid bar and the BBS

I just got my GC 68 SB and BBS. Still building baseline for what blades works well in GC68 and then to see if same blade can work well in BBS.
As far as I can tell, the angle to use BBS is quite different than GC 68, with BBS sometimes I just can't feel the blade is shaving or the base guard is sliding....
Maybe I need to improve my skill.

Some new remarks about my recent acquisition of the BBS:

1. There's no "chatter" or blade noise with the BBS - a good sign that the blade is securely clamped in. I hadn't given much attention to B&B threads that described (in detail) the importance of a razor with no vibration. I think I know what they're talking about, now. If you have a thicker beard, a razor that allows the blade to flex can be painful. Blade "chatter" may not be that important if you shave slowly and carefully, but the lack of flexion in a blade leads to a noticeably less efficient shave. I'm using the BBS whenever I have a longer beard, if only to avoid the annoying tugging. The side-effect: there's no audio feedback with the BBS.

2. Learning to use a light touch. With a forgiving razor like the Rockwell 6S, pressure doesn't really matter; but with the BBS, I believe it's important to observe good technique and shave gently. It's really had to cut or nick yourself with a BBS, but a lazy shaver (like me) can easily fall into bad habits.

3. Blade feel. Several BBS users have mentioned (or even complained) that there's very little blade feel with the BBS. I think that's a good thing, overall. There's little blade feel, but there's also little chance of nicks or cuts.

Top Bottom