What's new

Razorock has a new model of razor DE BBS!

Thought I'd successfully resisted.

Then I got the email from IB that they had more BBS razors in stock.

So.....a new RR BBS is on the way. :)

No self control at all with this stuff. ;)

Same here. I saw the email this afternoon and placed an order for the BBS/ufo at 3:05 pm. About 35 minutes later I get a notification that the barber pole handles were back in stock. Bam... another order at 3:44. In my defense, I've wanted that handle design for quite a while.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Same here. I saw the email this afternoon and placed an order for the BBS/ufo at 3:05 pm. About 35 minutes later I get a notification that the barber pole handles were back in stock. Bam... another order at 3:44. In my defense, I've wanted that handle design for quite a while.

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my various Acquisition Disorders. ;)

Barber pole out of stock again :-(

This razor is definitely a solid razor. I actually enjoy its mildness over my other DE's. It gets me a close shave that lasts a long time without the requirement of too much focus during the shave.

If I were to ever settle down for a daily driver, hypothetically, this could be it. I am currently waiting on the pre-order for the Blackland Tradere and I will actually be comparing these two at that time.

This razor also made me realize that I might actually prefer mid-aggressive razors like this over the likes of the more aggressive ones for daily shaves.

I'm considering upgrading from my daily driver Muhle R89 to something with more rigid blade clamp design, as I sometimes experience blade chatter and I suppose I don't have to tell you how annoying this can be.
I'm between Razorock BBS and Fatip lo Storto, leaning just slightly towards Fatip.
Any suggestions for those who had shaved with both of them?

And please don't tell me to get both :biggrin1:

After just one shave with the BBS, here's my preliminary take:

GC .68 and original Mamba are still tied for "best" in my rotation (honorable mention to EFBT).

BBS feels better worked out than the Mamba .70 to me, my gripe with the .70 is that it allows blade contact at angles that scrape, I guess this is a benefit when you want to get right under your nose going WTG, but everywhere else on my face it's a liability... the decreased exposure of the original Mamba means that if you try to use that angle it simply doesn't shave (unless you're seriously face-mashing). The BBS allows a bit of contact in the "almost scraping" zone, but less than the Mamba .70, this is a good feature in my book. The thing that I don't love about it though, is that (at least for me and without more time to really get used to the new head geometry) it seems to give the best comfort *and* closeness when I ride the cap to the point that I have no blade feel at all.

The shave was comfortable, but any time I could feel the blade there was a subtle scraping feeling, afterward I was expecting to be a bit irritated, but wasn't... even in the areas I pushed to ultimate closeness (under jawline and lower lip-to-chin). Also, frequently when I chase those areas ATG with other razors I wind up with a few painless weepers, but the BBS gave me no weepers or irritation, despite feeling a bit abrasive in those areas.

In summary, if it doesn't magically "click" after a few weeks, I'll be back to Mamba .50 and GC .68 as my go-to razors, the GC has such great blade feel that modulating the angle is effortless and the Mamba is pushbutton to the point of being virtually foolproof, plus both yield excellent results with my usual two-pass WTG + ATG/XTG routine (as did the BBS I might add).

Tune in Monday, when my GC .68 OC base plate is scheduled to arrive... Thank/Damn you RazoRock!

I'm considering upgrading from my daily driver Muhle R89 to something with more rigid blade clamp design, as I sometimes experience blade chatter and I suppose I don't have to tell you how annoying this can be.
I'm between Razorock BBS and Fatip lo Storto, leaning just slightly towards Fatip.

My Fatip experience was that the blade didn't even feel as rigid as many other heads that are unexceptional in this respect, it *always* felt sketchy going ATG. Plus the head tolerances on my example were nowhere near the excellent standard of the RR CNC/stainless razors. On top of that, it's a razor that demands your attention, if you get at all sloppy or inattentive to angle it'll punish you with either a harsh burn or nicks! I like the fact that all the milder RR razors (Mamba, GC .68, BBS, SLOC) will still give me a very decent shave even when I'm not on my A game.

BTW, on the cheaper end, the RR SLOC and Merkur 15c OC heads both have excellent blade rigidity.

After just one shave with the BBS, here's my preliminary take:

GC .68 and original Mamba are still tied for "best" in my rotation (honorable mention to EFBT).

BBS feels better worked out than the Mamba .70 to me, my gripe with the .70 is that it allows blade contact at angles that scrape, I guess this is a benefit when you want to get right under your nose going WTG, but everywhere else on my face it's a liability... the decreased exposure of the original Mamba means that if you try to use that angle it simply doesn't shave (unless you're seriously face-mashing). The BBS allows a bit of contact in the "almost scraping" zone, but less than the Mamba .70, this is a good feature in my book. The thing that I don't love about it though, is that (at least for me and without more time to really get used to the new head geometry) it seems to give the best comfort *and* closeness when I ride the cap to the point that I have no blade feel at all.

The shave was comfortable, but any time I could feel the blade there was a subtle scraping feeling, afterward I was expecting to be a bit irritated, but wasn't... even in the areas I pushed to ultimate closeness (under jawline and lower lip-to-chin). Also, frequently when I chase those areas ATG with other razors I wind up with a few painless weepers, but the BBS gave me no weepers or irritation, despite feeling a bit abrasive in those areas.

In summary, if it doesn't magically "click" after a few weeks, I'll be back to Mamba .50 and GC .68 as my go-to razors, the GC has such great blade feel that modulating the angle is effortless and the Mamba is pushbutton to the point of being virtually foolproof, plus both yield excellent results with my usual two-pass WTG + ATG/XTG routine (as did the BBS I might add).

Tune in Monday, when my GC .68 OC base plate is scheduled to arrive... Thank/Damn you RazoRock!

Nice write up. I’m looking forward to an update after you’ve shaved with the BBS some more .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I got the GC68 when it first came out. It is so mild I can not shave with it. The only thing that cuts less hair from me is the original mamba, which is like a 54 gap or something like that... totally surprising because the short run Black Mamba is a total beast of a razor. So the fact that both the production mambas were so mild was quite bewildering to me. So the GC68 and both Mambas are way too mild for me. The GC84 is just about perfect for me. the GC OC 84 and Jaws 84 are too rough of a shave for me. Not too efficient, but both leave me with irritation. So the SB GC84 is the sweet spot. The BBS is right around the same aggression level as the GC84. It may be a little more efficient, and it may have more blade feel. But I have not figured out exactly which one shaves closer. After all it is the shave results that matter most. The BBS is quite smooth. But the GC84 shaves smooth as silk. So I would say they are really close. But the GC68 is quite a few steps down towards the "way too mild" side compared to the BBS. The GC68 leaves so much stubble for me that I have to make sure there is a blade in there. For reference, I get a great shave with a Tech, which is super mild as well. So there is something about the GC68 and the two Mambas that doesnt work for me. Good luck.

You should seriously consider buying a GC .68 OC - slightly more efficient than the .84 SB. You will love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just received a new BBS razor, and a stainless Hawk V3 SE razor last week. So I have to wait a bit until I can order again. I have to make at least some meager attempt at controlling my RAD. :)

Fair enough... I felt pretty foolish/guilty ordering the base plate only a week after buying my BBS :(

Back on topic: today was take two with the BBS and I'm starting to think that it might not stick.
The good part is that it's insanely easy to go ATG with this thing, the low blade angle makes dealing with places where the whiskers lay flat (and draw the blade in when going ATG) almost as easy as going WTG and the blade feels rock solid in the head, with no worries of it being modulated by mere whiskers.

The down side is the blade feel going WTG is almost non-existant right up to the point where it starts to scrape. This might not be an issue with folks who shave by ear, but I'm a shower shaver and my bathroom fan is loud on top of that (plus the morning news is usually on in the background as well). If I get lather in my ears, it blocks enough of the ambient sound that vibrations coming from my face are loud enough to shave by, but even so the BBS isn't a loud razor with that heavy curved head and ultra-solid blade grip.

The results are hard to argue with though, both shaves were in the DFS range, with parts of my face solidly in BBS, all with no irritation other than momentary abrasion while testing angles of attack. All in all, falling just short of what I expect from my GC, Mamba, 15c or EFBT.

I'm tempted to try a one-pass shave that's entirely XTG/ATG and see what kind of result that gives, although it'll have to be exceptional to get me to give up the dialed in shaves I get with my existing favorite razors.

Note: I used a fresh Personna Med Prep (so second shave today) and yesterday was Cella, today RR Black Bay.

I find both of them to be quite similar (at least the Storto Gentile closed comb); they both shave very closely, glide easily, look beautiful, and are a great deal for what they are.

The differences:

The BBS is stainless steel (more expensive, presumably more durable, has that "stainless" look), seats the blade precisely every time with no room for movement, has a swappable handle in the "standard" size, and has a narrower range of cutting angles. Covered blade tabs.

The Storto Gentile is plated brass, has narrower pins at the base of the cap so the blade can definitely move around - I had thought that this was a big issue, but to me it's now simply an annoyance (you put the cap down on the counter/on a towel, drop on the blade, drop on the baseplate, push the baseplate down to anchor the blade, and screw the handle on) as I can't tell any difference for the shave, has a very wife range of shaving angles which can be helpful under the nose. Blade tabs protrude slightly but not much compared to, say, a vintage Gillette.

I consider both of these to be 5/5, excellent razors. If I HAD to pick one, I'd pick the BBS by a very narrow margin as I can be compulsive and I like how precisely it is put together while covering the blade tabs. You can always learn the Gillette Slide technique! I definitely put both of these in my top 10, probably top 5 (along with my Game Changer .68 which isn't as smooth, Merkur safety bar, and Progress). At least that's my top 5 for today . . . >.>

Teppanyaki, awa54, thank you for detailed feedback. Now I'm even more undecided, hehe :biggrin1: Well, I have plenty of time to decide and eventually I might pull the trigger on one or another.
Meantime I'm waiting for another SLOC head (Yaqi), because the first one was defective. Comparing both sides of the head, there was horrible blade gap difference, but one side shaved excellent, so I have high hopes for it and fingers crossed next one will be OK.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I had another shave with the BBS. It’s a great razor. Solid DFS results. Unfortunately for the BBS however, I have been quite spoiled lately by my Charcoal Goods and Wolfman razors, and it has proven quite difficult for any other razors to hold up to that level of excellence. I have a difficult spot under my jaw line where it is tough to get rid of that last bit of rough micro-stubble. There are a couple of other spots on the neck where the stubble grows in a swirling circular pattern that are also quite hard to get totally smooth. The BBS just doesn’t do as good of a job in those area as my go-to razors. I don’t think i can achieve a true ‘cotton ball test passing’ BBS with the BBS. But I rate this razor quite high. It’s a keeper for sure.

For this shave, I replaced the RR UFO handle with something more befitting the BBS’s stature as an excellent razor. I have a spare Charcoal Goods copper bishop. Doesn’t the BBS look so much better with that handle? It improved the shave a bit too... at least that’s what my brain is telling me. Enjoy the shaves!

E8DA338A-6E92-4458-A94B-B5D7C75C12AB.jpeg

Today was a "control" day, I shaved with the Mamba (fresh Med Prep) and RR Saturnia.

Due to both angles and actual mass the Mamba feels a bit more nimble, but the only functional difference is a slightly higher starting point just under my nose... The BBS takes more whisker off in the first WTG pass than the Mamba, but after the second (ATG/XTG hybrid) pass there's no practical difference. While the Mamba is a great razor ATG, the BBS is even better (as I had suspected), but again, it's almost academic since both can handle my neck and jawline at speed without any worry.

12 hours later, the shave from the Mamba feels identical to the one I got from the BBS yesterday, so both are getting right down to the practical limits of everyday closeness (I'd have to spend an extra pass and significantly more care to get a shave that still felt close this long afterward with a Gillette TTO or Muhle).

The Mamba wins under my nose and lower lip, BBS beats it ATG under jawline and they're tied on cheeks and neck.

Next I'll fall back to the GC, if my hunch is correct, it'll be a bit less close than either of these, but the shave will still be excellent and I'll get that with only a casual level of concentration (the half-asleep shaves from the Mamba aren't this close).

It's definitely a keeper.

Top Bottom