What's new

Razorock has a new model of razor DE BBS!

Ordered the OC yesterday. Looking forward to trying it. I consider the SS BBS to be the Mamba 70’s slightly more efficient cousin.
Agreed.
I too have similar understanding of the BBS's performance.

It's the curve of the blade that makes it usable for me, if it becomes more efficient (noticeable) then it would be great.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It's the curve of the blade that makes it usable for me, if it becomes more efficient (noticeable) then it would be great.

I was surprised the BBS didn’t hold a DE blade as rigidly as it looked it would (in person and photos). Also delighted that using a shallow for its cap angle greatly improved its efficiency..

With the same, shallow angle, I found an Ikon X3 does the same job a little smoother, for a little less money, and only looking slightly less nice.

I was surprised the BBS didn’t hold a DE blade as rigidly as it looked it would (in person and photos). Also delighted that using a shallow for its cap angle greatly improved its efficiency..

With the same, shallow angle, I found an Ikon X3 does the same job a little smoother, for a little less money, and only looking slightly less nice.

A shallow angle... My understanding from other users that a steeper angle works best. Hench why I bought an open comb version....

Thanks for the insight on the Ikon X3.

BBS didn't held the blade rigidly (?), that is odd or maybe I've used really bad razors and by that comparison BBS is most rigid razor.
Latter scenario is more possible.

I saw the updated efficiency chart on IB and by that point I'll skip going forward with the plate purchasing, at least till someone can make an informed review.

I'm sharing a few photos of my BBS razor, let me know if yours behaved similar or was there an anomaly.

IMG_20210717_202646.jpg

IMG_20210717_202608.jpg

Also, if your razor held the blade same way, I'm very much interested in learning more about the better blade clamped razor.

If I did not articulate it properly, let me be clear, no disrespect, I'm genuinely interested in learning more about this.

thombrogan

My understanding from other users that a steeper angle works best.

It’s designed for use with a steep angle. That; and all the beauty shots of it with Super Knurl and UFO handles; made it seem irresistible to me.

Used with the steep angle, the safety bar feels even smoother, gentler, and relaxing than the comb of a Fatip Grande (which makes steep angled shaving feel like a spa treatment WTG and XTG and probably ATG for people with a lighter touch than me), so it was even more of a spa treatment.

BBS didn't held the blade rigidly (?)

It holds the blade more rigid than other razors I’ve used, but not as tightly as I expected. The Ikon X3 razor head is an aluminum slant razor with a bead-blasted finish. Between the bending and twisting, it held the blade much tighter (my other slant, PAA el Fantasma, holds its blade looser than the BBS despite more bend, more torque, and full baseplate coverage).

Unfortunately for @Cafebarian , the X3 is harsh used steeply. Fortunately, the original BBS plate and the three new ones are designed for the luxury of steep angled shaving.

Fortunately, the original BBS plate and the three new ones are designed for the luxury of steep angled shaving.
and that is why I love the BBS razor.

I'm going to use it with Feather and a Kai blade to see if my (now) standard base plate gives more efficient shaves.

I'm waiting to get some information as to how much actual difference the new base plates are making.

Even though the bbs shave from the BBS razor is short lived, it certainly leaves the skin happy.

I shaved with the BBS AS plate yesterday on a 6 day stubble.

It kept the familiar smoothness of the BBS and yet with a touch more blade feel the efficiency improved noticeably from Standard plate.

If anyone is interested in the BBS razor then AS plate is a definite suggestion, same goes for those with Standard plate and are left wanting for more efficiency.

The RR-BBS with the standard plate. Just a real smooth and easy shaver. I haven’t ordered any of the other optional plates for it and honestly, I have no need for it. I’ve got razors that can give me the extra oomph in blade feel & efficiency if needed. Some of them being from the RazoRock house like the Lupo .95 or the GC .84 OC. Sometimes though, I just want an easy to use razor to get me an easy & smooth shave. The BBS Standard plate fits the bill nicely.

Great shaves to all….

1B1DB4F1-4632-4E66-A724-FB26A2039AE6.jpeg

thombrogan

Back to the wonderful world of steep angle shaving and the BBS is looking nifty again (though dialing in a different RazoRock goodie for now).

I've had my BBS AS for 3 weeks, use every other day. Have been using a Polsilver Stainless blade, excellent results. Found riding the cap very comfortable, no pressure 3 pass DFS to BSS with very little buffing required. It's a keeper......

In regard to better blade clamping: I just got the OC comb for my BBS and I believe that a combination of the comb protecting against harsh blade angles and better clamping near the edge has caused me to revise my feelings about the razor... it had been gathering dust, because a closer shave than I get with a GC or Mamba (or red tip flare for that matter), was only attained with increase pressure (irritation), or increased numbers of passes (irritation too).
With the OC comb in place, I can get a SAS in one pass WTG and near BBS with a second XTG/ATG hybrid pass, with no additional pressure required to cut close and no irritation.
It may not unseat the GC .68 OC, but it's back in the rotation!

thombrogan

Excellent news, @awa54

I have started using my now “standard” BBS as intended (steep) and enjoy it as a nice change of pace. Just not this Summer. :)

The BBS is the most extreme blade bender (and hence lowest handle angle) I've had my hands on, but it's not such a big step past something like the Merkur Progress, or even a RR Mamba.

In any event, I like the handling, blade feel and results better with the OC base by a wide margin, the only thing not to like is the price 💰💰

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would suggest any razor with high arc or large Radis bend on razor blade use a steep approach (riding the bar) with a short handle will give a great shave close shave. I always thought it was more a scrapping method but I learned it is not so with the blade arc. Steep approach works wonders also with a aggressive razor also discovered with excellent results. A short handle gives less leverage and less weight + more nimble for quick contour face changes is what I discovered for less irritation issues .
My Razorock Wunderbar slant works excellent with a Steep approach(riding the bar)IMO.
Razorock Wunderbar 2017 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

"riding the cap (or bar)" is inherently relative to the angle that the business end of the razor presents at, so in my case I still ride the cap with my BBS to get as *low an angle of attack with the blade* as still cuts.

Some blade gaps, clamping points and safety bar/cap angles seem to facilitate easier or "better" shaves with this approach, but no mater what blade or razor I use, low blade angle to my face is the key to getting a close, smooth shave, whereas scrape shaving of any sort leads to irritation and usually poor closeness as well.

I guess the Henson head breaks this rule, but I can't use them anyway, as they give me ingrown whiskers almost as bad as from a cartridge multi-blade...

Top Bottom