What's new

Razorock German 37 Slant is very picky about its blades

Ever since getting the razor I've been kind of disappointed with it.

I can get an effortless 3-pass BBS with any of my other most liked razors, Parker Variant and Yanli Bronze / Maggard V3A.

With Razorock, using Astra SP or even Feather always seemed to result in a comfortable shave that was just a little less clean. A spot here or there with no BBS, a little more work on the chin line, etc.

Today I loaded a Derby Premium blade, a good blade but not nearly as sharp as Feathers and a little less sharp than ASP. In other razors, Derby performs in line with its relative sharpness. In Razorock, it gave me an extremely close, BBS yet very comfortable shave. Go figure. Looks like this razor is a bottom feeder...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I can get an effortless 3-pass BBS with any of my other most liked razors, Parker Variant and Yanli Bronze / Maggard V3A.

With Razorock, using Astra SP or even Feather always seemed to result in a comfortable shave that was just a little less clean. A spot here or there with no BBS, a little more work on the chin line, etc.

Today I loaded a Derby Premium blade, a good blade but not nearly as sharp as Feathers and a little less sharp than ASP. In other razors, Derby performs in line with its relative sharpness. In Razorock, it gave me an extremely close, BBS yet very comfortable shave. Go figure. Looks like this razor is a bottom feeder...

I have a German 37 that I keep meaning to work into the 'try it' rotation. Other razors keep taking cuts (pun intended ;)) in line.

Appreciate the comments on which blades you found to work best. :)

I'm gonna have to revisit this razor with some different blades. I could never get a comfortable cut free shave with this razor in the past so I have shelved it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a 1970s (I think) Hoffritz which I believe has the same head as the Razorock 37. I find the Derby blades to be amongst the worst I have tried in it, while the Astra SP and Feather were better but not as good as when used in my regular DE razors. I always put this down to my needing to work on my technique with a slant, rather than an issue with the razor itself. That said, I am not aware of any modification in technique that is required for a slant, perhaps others can advise?

Revisiting this thread... Parker Premium blades are even better than Derby Premium in this particular razor, a match made in heaven.

I have a 1970s (I think) Hoffritz which I believe has the same head as the Razorock 37. I find the Derby blades to be amongst the worst I have tried in it, while the Astra SP and Feather were better but not as good as when used in my regular DE razors. I always put this down to my needing to work on my technique with a slant, rather than an issue with the razor itself. That said, I am not aware of any modification in technique that is required for a slant, perhaps others can advise?

No special technique. If anything, it‘s less sensitive to the blade angle than some of my other razors.

Which Derbys had you tried ? It is my understanding that they really upped their game with Premium.

I am getting great shaves out of my Razorock German 37 slant with Derby Extra blades(post 2016). I wanted to see if the Derby Extra(pre 2016) blades also worked well but they didn't, they were horrible. Overall I am very happy with my Razorock German 37 slant, I even find it a tad smoother than my Merkur 37C slant which I also really like.

My only slant is the Merkur 39C, It works great with any blade. I was thinking of trying the German, but this has me thinking otherwise. I don't want a finicky razor.

My only slant is the Merkur 39C, It works great with any blade. I was thinking of trying the German, but this has me thinking otherwise. I don't want a finicky razor.
The German 37 head is almost the same as the older Merkur slants. The main difference compared to the 39c is that it is a 3-piece design so you can use a different handle of your choice.

I think the German 37 works well with many blades, you can finally use up those blades that have been sitting at the back of the drawer.
:biggrin1:

Thanks for the post I think I might dust off the RR37 and try a bottom feeder.

I always found the G37 to not really matter much what blade you put in it. Slants are so efficient that they make any blade seem sharper than it really is.

When I had my 37 I read a fair amount of threads and agreed with them. Astra SP and Personna Reds were the best with the slight edge to the Personna Reds.

I always found the G37 to not really matter much what blade you put in it. Slants are so efficient that they make any blade seem sharper than it really is.
this.
I have the merkur 37C. It is the least picky razor I have. My go to blades are feather and Bic CP with the 37C, but it gives a good shave with just about anything. Derby extra being an exception, there are no miracles.

I have one but could never seem to get a smooth shave with it. Just way too rough with too many weepers and I've tried a few different blades with it. Now it just sits in my razor stand.

Top Bottom