What's new

RazoRock GC Jaws vs Muhle R41 Twist

Can't decide. I only shave once per week.
The one and only safety razor I've ever used is the Parker 24C open comb for the past few years, and it finally needs to be replaced.
It seems fine, except I was looking for something that doesn't clog quite as much if that's possible.
So I've narrowed it down: RazoRock GC Jaws or Muhle R41 Twist.

Which one would be best for shaving once a week and would clog up less?

I'll suggest both, in a way. Buy an R41 replacement head ($25 on Amazon) and buy the Game Changer. The Razorock handle will fit the M41 head perfectly. And now you've got both razors.
The handle for my Parker 24C seems to be in perfect condition....not sure if the inside threads ever wear out.
Would that handle fit the R41 replacement head?

Just saw a quote on another thread that pretty much sums up my Parker 24C, "Personally I couldn't get on at all with the so-called beginner razors, like the R89 or the Parker 26C. I find they leave behind a lot of stubble and clog up too quickly."

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
"Personally I couldn't get on at all with the so-called beginner razors, like the R89 or the Parker 26C. I find they leave behind a lot of stubble and clog up too quickly."

Would more water in the lather help reduce or eliminate that issue?

If not, a +1 to the recommendation of @Big_T

If so, still +1 to what @Big_T said because more razors.

Don't have the GC Jaws but the SB .84 instead and the R41 is way more efficient.

And yes,the handle fits them all nice.

Are both the R41 and the RazoRock good choices for a once-a-week shaver?
The only safety razor I ever tried was the Parker, so I'm not too familiar with anything else.
Some people call the R41 semi-open comb, so I wasn't sure if that means it would clog easily.
The Jaws looks like it would handle long growth.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Are both the R41 and the RazoRock good choices for a once-a-week shaver?
The only safety razor I ever tried was the Parker, so I'm not too familiar with anything else.
Some people call the R41 semi-open comb, so I wasn't sure if that means it would clog easily.
The Jaws looks like it would handle long growth.
Need more info to make an informed recommendation.

1. Please describe your beard: fast/slow growing? Sparse/thick? Coarse/soft? Predictable/chaotic growth patterns? Prone to ingrown hairs or not? Anything else?

2. Please describe your skin: Oily/dry? Sensitive or not? Prone to nicks/cuts or not? Prone to irritation or not? Anything else?

3. Please describe your face: Smooth or wrinkled? Lots of 'nooks and crannies' or not? Any facial features that get in your way when shaving? Anything else?

4. Please describe your experience level?

5. Please describe your shaving technique.

6. Do you prefer new? Vintage? Either?

7. What is your price range?

Thank you very much. :)

Need more info to make an informed recommendation.

1. Please describe your beard: fast/slow growing? Sparse/thick? Coarse/soft? Predictable/chaotic growth patterns? Prone to ingrown hairs or not? Anything else?

2. Please describe your skin: Oily/dry? Sensitive or not? Prone to nicks/cuts or not? Prone to irritation or not? Anything else?

3. Please describe your face: Smooth or wrinkled? Lots of 'nooks and crannies' or not? Any facial features that get in your way when shaving? Anything else?

4. Please describe your experience level?

5. Please describe your shaving technique.

6. Do you prefer new? Vintage? Either?

7. What is your price range?

Thank you very much. :)
1. Beard avg growth, avg thickness, avg coarse/soft. A few whiskers sometimes turn back towards my skin causing irritation and ingrown hairs once it gets longer.
2. Skin avg oily/dry. Can get a little irritated if I get in a hurry, or if I get lazy, don't prep, and use bar soap on the rare occassion. Will get a a couple minor blood spots now & then if I'm not careful.
3. Fairly smooth skin. Nothing out of the ordinary.
4. Been using the Parker open comb for a number of years...lost track.
5. Warm face with hot water, use a brush and shaving soap, then go with the grain mostly. Then do it again. Then I get carried away and feel for any stubble and pass over those areas again.....sometimes without any soap.
6. I prefer new.
7. Price range below $80.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
1. Beard avg growth, avg thickness, avg coarse/soft. A few whiskers sometimes turn back towards my skin causing irritation and ingrown hairs once it gets longer.
2. Skin avg oily/dry. Can get a little irritated if I get in a hurry, or if I get lazy, don't prep, and use bar soap on the rare occassion. Will get a a couple minor blood spots now & then if I'm not careful.
5. Warm face with hot water, use a brush and shaving soap, then go with the grain mostly. Then do it again. Then I get carried away and feel for any stubble and pass over those areas again.....sometimes without any soap.
6. I prefer new.
Excellent! Thank you for the information! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
6. I prefer new.
I don't try for BBS. DFS is my daily target.

Also, 'aggressive' is not good. Aggressive razors are prone to 'bite' without warning or provocation.

I have both the RR JAWS and the Mühle R41 Twist. Both are good razors, but not in any of my rotations at this time.

My personal razor evaluation equation:

Efficient + Smooth = Effective

A highly efficient razor that is not smooth will be less effective than a medium efficient razor that is also smooth. The end result using a highly effective razor will be closer, with less/no irritation, blood and other bad artifacts.

Given all of that, I'd look at the following:

Blackland Razors ERA Level 4 or Level 5. I have the SB plates. There are also OC plates available. US$75:
20220302_204305~2.jpg

Fatip Grande OC. Iconic OC razor that will handle whatever beard you grow in a week. US$35:
20200208_163747~2.jpg

Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Fatip Open Comb Slant). One of the best buys in razors. US$40:
20211217_212554~2.jpg

I'm sure I'll come up with a few more for you to consider. :)

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'd go with the R41 (the Zamak original, not the new stainless) the Fatip OC, or a Blackland Blackbird Open comb. I have used all three of these, plus the La Storto (slant) and Gentile. Gentile is not as close nor is the La Storto. The OC is quite a bit closer for me than the Storto. Storto is a slanted Gentile IMO.

Ranked for closeness:
Muhle, Blackland, Fatip

Ranked for Comfort During the shave:
Fatip, Blackland, Muhle

Ranked for Post Shave Comfort
Muhle, Blackland, Fatip

So that you are comparing the Muhle against a Parker, I understand your budget to be sub $60. In that case, I would do the Muhle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
6. I prefer new.
Here's the thread I did of razors in my den between $75 - $125:

Thread 'Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)' Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-of-de-razors-in-my-den-from-75-to-125-usd.600310/

Might be some interesting stuff in there. ;)

I don’t have an R41 so I can’t speak to that, but many people seem to like them. I’m a fan of the RR GC and have 3 of the base plates (.68 JAWS, .84 SB, and .84 OC). They are all great and have slight differences. I’ll probably end up adding the .84 JAWS plate at some point too. I think either of the JAWS models or the .84 OC would be fine once per week shavers.
💈🖖🏼💈

Don't worry about the R41 clogging. It can handle a week's worth no problem.

I like the R41, Fatip OC and Fatip OC Slant for your situation. The R41 can shave closest, leaving a "dolphin skin" finish. It takes some practice, but eventually you can get an irritation-free, comfortable shave with the R41. The Fatip OC Slant is the smoothest shaving of these. It cuts a bit less close than the R41, but the shave is almost on auto-pilot.

I have both the .84 Jaws and the R41(newer version). The Jaws is easily as efficient as the R41 and much smoother IMHO. The catch though is those wide gaps between the teeth of the Jaws. As I mentioned in another post anything at all that rises above the the surrounding skin and is between those widely spaced teeth can get sliced off. Ouch. If though you are mindful of this you will get an amazing shave.

I shaved only once so far with the Jaws and I quickly thought of your previous comment as I shaved off the top of mole, so yes the wide gap can be an issue. I only have one spot like that, so I'll try again and see if I can go over that area more lightly or something.....not too sure what the solution is other than skipping that spot. But the rest of the shave was good.

Yup, that is what it does. Now that you know your "trouble" spot take care. I found that making sure the section of the blade that glides over my trouble spot is supported by a tooth on the comb. Not the the space in between the teeth.

Top Bottom