What's new

RAZOROCK GC 0.68-P

@Calyshaver ...all of you GC 84-P drivers are a determined bunch. I'll go-ahead and say, I'll probably get the .84-P plate just out of curiosity. The only way to make sure is try it on my face. I've read so many glowing reports saying how mild, yet efficient the .84-P plate makes the GC. So, there it is. Smiles.

Regarding RR handles, I have the "Super Knurled" and the "Barber Pole". I really like the both, but at this point, the "Barber Pole" wins by a hair. My Merkur 23C has a "knurled" handle, but I was always scared it would slip. It made me rinse my hands excessively. Both of the RazoRock handles are rock solid in the hand, but don't stick to you hand. If, you understand?

b/r

ON_1

Last edited:
.........My first shave was a delite! Close, comfortable with one tiny weeper, but that was caused by my poor technique. The 23C has made me lazy and sloppy. I don't know if this was the best shave of my life, but it was definitely top 5. I now look forward to shaving. Go figure?.......
In the near future I'm going to post a smackdown comparison between the RR GC .68/.84 and the Rockwell 6S #3/#4. I'll need about another week with each razor prior to posting. Stay tuned.

Tomorrow, I am going to use the GC84 SB on one half of my face, and a Karve B plate on the other half. I believe the Karve B is somewhere in between the GC68 and 84.

Does anyone else do a two razor shave? I have so many nice razors but at most can shave only once a day, usually every other day.

@Calyshaver ...all of you GC 84-P drivers are a determined bunch. I'll go-ahead and say, I'll probably get the .84-P plate just out of curiosity. The only way to make sure is try it on my face. I've read so many glowing reports saying how mild, yet efficient the .84-P plate makes the GC. So, there it is. Smiles.

Regarding RR handles, I have the "Super Knurled" and the "Barber Pole". I really like the both, but at this point, the "Barber Pole" wins by a hair. My Merkur 23C has a "knurled" handle, but I was always scared it would slip. It made me rinse my hands excessively. Both of the RazoRock handles are rock solid in the hand, but don't stick to you hand. If, you understand?

b/r

ON_1
My favorite RR handle is the Radio Knob. I think it has been discontinued. I got it by accident with the RR DOC purchase. I like it as well as my Barber Pole. Of the three plates I have I do prefer the .68 over the .84 SB and the .84 OC. Efficient enough for a daily shave!

Hi, folks! Let me say this right up-front, I'm not a collector or an aficionado of collecting. I'm just a guy that wants a good razor that gives me a clean, comfortable shave. Lord knows, I don't need another hobby. Smiles.

I'm also not a "newbie" to DE razors. As a kid I learned to shave using an old, hand-me-down, OC razor, probably a Gillette of some fashion. I still don't like OC razors to this day. LOL!

I've been using a "Chieftain" Butterfly razor for 8 years, or so. The razor was okay, nothing to write home about. Prior to that it was a name brand adjustable razor. That was a very disappointing experience. 18 months ago I noticed the blade was shifting around in my razor. Not good! So, I started tightening it up with pliers. Also, not good.

Bottom line, I needed to replace my razor. Looking around at stainless steel razors, most were totally out of my price range. So, this time around, I decided on a three (3) piece razor. IMO, a more robust and simpler design. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money. After looking around, I ended up with a Merkur 180 (23C). I'm not fond of cast Zinc, chrome plated razors, but it is what it is. Did I mention I prefer "mild" razors?

During my research for stainless steel razors, I can't believe I either missed, or overlooked RazoRock. But, I did.

When I began to research RazoRock I discovered a jewel in a sea of overpriced stainless steel razors: Game Changers! An apt name for this series of razors.

The first thing you notice is the excellent machine work! As a retired Aerospace engineer, I've had the pleasure of seeing some of the world's best machined goods. And, I can say unequivocally, RazorRock machine work is second to none. Tolerances look tight. I didn't breakout my Micrometer or my Dial Indicators, but to my calibrated eye everything looks good. The GC 0.68-P is made from 316L stainless steel. Which happens to be a material I'm very familiar with. Its used for the Liquid Oxygen (LOX) and Liquid Hydrogen supply piping on the Space Shuttle.

In light of my recent experiences, one of the most important features of any razor, for me, is how well the blade locks-up. In this instance, the GC 0.68-P is solid as a rock. No blade movement whatsoever.

I chose the "Super Knurled" handle. The 'knurling' is what I would call 'soft', not so sharp its uncomfortable, but still gives you excellent purchase and feels good in the hand. I also ordered the "Barber Pole" handle, but it hasn't arrived, yet.

I'd like to address one of the criticisms leveled at this razor. The "blade alignment pins", located on top of the Baseplate, rather than on the underside of the Cap. IMO, this is a non-issue. While it may be a little fiddly at first, after my first blade load, I quickly figured it out. Not an issue.

I also read people had issue with "Italian Barber" Customer Service. I can only say, my experience was the direct opposite. My second order, included a spare handle, and a few other items. Unfortunately, I pressed the wrong button and chose the wrong style handle. I emailed IB and within a very short time I received an answer back from "Michael" and he switched the order to the correct handle style. I've emailed IB a couple of times and I always got a timely and thoughtful response. Again, bad Customer Service has not been my experience.

My first shave was a delite! Close, comfortable with one tiny weeper, but that was caused by my poor technique. The 23C has made me lazy and sloppy. I don't know if this was the best shave of my life, but it was definitely top 5. I now look forward to shaving. Go figure?

The RazoRock Game Changer 0.68-P is my daily driver for the foreseeable future. The Merkur will be "gifted" to another.

In conclusion, the RazoRock Game Changer 0.68-P is a great razor. There may be other S.S. razors, but how much better and at what price? This razor is affordable, made from high quality material and CNC machined using tight tolerances. And, it gives me one of the best shaving experiences in my life. Checks all the boxes for me. JMHO. YMMV.
View attachment 1583517
View attachment 1583519
View attachment 1583520

b/r

ON_1

Great choice.

I've owned the 68P, 68OC, 84P (sold the 84P once I realized all I need is the 68), aluminum and stainless steel Hawk (both sold in favor of my Vector, though I kinda wish I had kept the SS Hawk), and two ECO Hawks.

I gravitate milder razors and love my 68P. I also find the 68OC manageable but reserve it for longer whiskers, and it seems to be well behaved for an open comb razor.

And the handles are pretty great too. I've got an HD, one halo and two knurled UFOs, and a barber pole. They are all well made and feel good in hand, and look great. I can't decide which is my favorite between the knurled UFO and barber pole.

The machining on all of mine has been mostly perfect, with one of my Game Changer caps having a very, very shallow line/groove running across the cap, from one edge to the other. It was very faint and only visible at just the right angle, in just the right light.

Still, Razorock are wonderful razors and the best value in stainless steel (all IMO, of course).

@gpjoe ...I had a great shave this morning. Really exceptional!

Like you, I'll probably try the GC 84-P, only because I've received numerous responses regarding its performance. I'll see if it works for me. Worst case, I'll use the GC 84-P for multiple days worth of stubble and keep the GC 68-P as a daily driver. Sounds like a win-win.

b/r

ON_1

Please see my update regarding the RR GC 84-P (Link above).

Hi, folks! Let me say this right up-front, I'm not a collector or an aficionado of collecting. I'm just a guy that wants a good razor that gives me a clean, comfortable shave. Lord knows, I don't need another hobby. Smiles.

I'm also not a "newbie" to DE razors. As a kid I learned to shave using an old, hand-me-down, OC razor, probably a Gillette of some fashion. I still don't like OC razors to this day. LOL!

I've been using a "Chieftain" Butterfly razor for 8 years, or so. The razor was okay, nothing to write home about. Prior to that it was a name brand adjustable razor. That was a very disappointing experience. 18 months ago I noticed the blade was shifting around in my razor. Not good! So, I started tightening it up with pliers. Also, not good.

Bottom line, I needed to replace my razor. Looking around at stainless steel razors, most were totally out of my price range. So, this time around, I decided on a three (3) piece razor. IMO, a more robust and simpler design. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money. After looking around, I ended up with a Merkur 180 (23C). I'm not fond of cast Zinc, chrome plated razors, but it is what it is. Did I mention I prefer "mild" razors?

During my research for stainless steel razors, I can't believe I either missed, or overlooked RazoRock. But, I did.

When I began to research RazoRock I discovered a jewel in a sea of overpriced stainless steel razors: Game Changers! An apt name for this series of razors.

The first thing you notice is the excellent machine work! As a retired Aerospace engineer, I've had the pleasure of seeing some of the world's best machined goods. And, I can say unequivocally, RazorRock machine work is second to none. Tolerances look tight. I didn't breakout my Micrometer or my Dial Indicators, but to my calibrated eye everything looks good. The GC 0.68-P is made from 316L stainless steel. Which happens to be a material I'm very familiar with. Its used for the Liquid Oxygen (LOX) and Liquid Hydrogen supply piping on the Space Shuttle.

In light of my recent experiences, one of the most important features of any razor, for me, is how well the blade locks-up. In this instance, the GC 0.68-P is solid as a rock. No blade movement whatsoever.

I chose the "Super Knurled" handle. The 'knurling' is what I would call 'soft', not so sharp its uncomfortable, but still gives you excellent purchase and feels good in the hand. I also ordered the "Barber Pole" handle, but it hasn't arrived, yet.

I'd like to address one of the criticisms leveled at this razor. The "blade alignment pins", located on top of the Baseplate, rather than on the underside of the Cap. IMO, this is a non-issue. While it may be a little fiddly at first, after my first blade load, I quickly figured it out. Not an issue.

I also read people had issue with "Italian Barber" Customer Service. I can only say, my experience was the direct opposite. My second order, included a spare handle, and a few other items. Unfortunately, I pressed the wrong button and chose the wrong style handle. I emailed IB and within a very short time I received an answer back from "Michael" and he switched the order to the correct handle style. I've emailed IB a couple of times and I always got a timely and thoughtful response. Again, bad Customer Service has not been my experience.

My first shave was a delite! Close, comfortable with one tiny weeper, but that was caused by my poor technique. The 23C has made me lazy and sloppy. I don't know if this was the best shave of my life, but it was definitely top 5. I now look forward to shaving. Go figure?

The RazoRock Game Changer 0.68-P is my daily driver for the foreseeable future. The Merkur will be "gifted" to another.

In conclusion, the RazoRock Game Changer 0.68-P is a great razor. There may be other S.S. razors, but how much better and at what price? This razor is affordable, made from high quality material and CNC machined using tight tolerances. And, it gives me one of the best shaving experiences in my life. Checks all the boxes for me. JMHO. YMMV.
View attachment 1583517
View attachment 1583519
View attachment 1583520

b/r

ON_1
What’s the scuttle though?

View attachment 1583517
View attachment 1583519
View attachment 1583520

b/r

ON_1

b/r

ON_1
Great posts, and I agree with your general attitude. Shaving was something I didn't bother to do very well for a long time, but like you I finally lost patience with Gillette and their overpriced, underperforming gizmos. Go ahead and get the 84 plate -- or not. Between the two I reach for the 68 more often, even though each pass tends to leave a little more behind than the 84. Basically, with all versions of this razor, this rigid blade clamp, high precision design afaik was only available in far more expensive razors until the gamechanger was introduced. It isn't the only way to get a good shave, but it is a good one, in my opinion. Finally, we both know exactly what's wrong with Proraso products -- nothing. Enjoy.

@mozartman ...thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it.

I did finally get the GC 84-P head. It's as good as the other's have said.

I'm keeping both the GC 68-P and the GC 84-P.

Last week I shaved with GC 84-P, this week it's the GC 68-P.

The GC 84-P is a little more efficient, but both give exceptionally CCS. I'm very pleased with my purchases from "RazoRock" and the "Italian Barber".

b/r

ON_1

The GC 84-P is a little more efficient, but both give exceptionally CCS. I'm very pleased with my purchases from "RazoRock" and the "Italian Barber".

b/r

ON_1
I concur Old Navy regarding the RazoRock-Italian Barber team.

b/r

ON_1
One big advantage of the Gamechanger is the thin and very light (for stainless steel) head. This makes it easy to maneuver and use with a titanium handle (which Italian Barber offers as an option) without being top-heavy.

Has anyone used the RR HALO titanium handle with their GC? I have the Barber Pole but would prefer something longer.

@rsp1202 ...the "Super Knurl" is 95mm. I think the Ti handle is 100mm? I have the "Barber Pole" (85mm) and "Super Knurl". I really like both and it's an easy way to tell which razor I'm using. The GC 68-P wears the "Super Knurl" and the GC 84-P wears the "Barber Pole".

b/r

ON_1

My first impression of the GC.84-P plate was that it was a nasty, bitey thing, compared with the easy-going GC.68-P.

After about 10 days of using it, and thinking how bad it was, it abruptly became docile, and I was enchanted by how I could get a perfect and comfortable shave out of it.

It is now my favourite razor.

As with people and books, don't go on first impressions.

@rsp1202 ...the "Super Knurl" is 95mm. I think the Ti handle is 100mm? I have the "Barber Pole" (85mm) and "Super Knurl". I really like both and it's an easy way to tell which razor I'm using. The GC 68-P wears the "Super Knurl" and the GC 84-P wears the "Barber Pole".

b/r

ON_1
I like the Ti's length, but wonder if its weight might tip the balance too much. I'll reconsider the SK. Thanks.

@Roedeer ...in my write-up I think I mention "my 2nd shave" was the exceptional experience with the GC 84-P.

My 1st shave I was a disaster. I was tentative and intimidated by the .84 gap and positive blade exposure. I'm use to very mild razors. Think: Merkur 23C.

I'm just lucky I didn't give myself a good 'dueling scar'.

All shaves after the 1st have been CCS, or better.

b/r

ON_1

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll add a note about The Italian Barber customer service. I've emailed them a few times over the past few months. I've gotten return/reply emails very quickly. Several times, and I would say "most of the time" , they've gotten back to me in minutes, not hours. The only times I've had to wait until the next day have been times I've emailed them after their business day had ended.

In fact, I contacted them just the other day with a question about their SuperSlant options. I made a mistake, thinking I was ordering a complete razor head from a fine European company, only to discover, I had ordered just an L++ base plate. I asked if they were going to offer SuperSlant top plates in the future. I got a reply in just a few minutes saying the top cap would be available down the line but they were so busy, trying to keep up with demand, it would be a few months, most likely.

I was fortunate to find a used RR SuperSlant here on the BST forum so I solved the problem in a round about way but now I have a complete SuperSlant L3... with a L2++ base plate on the way.

One more addition: for those of us in the States, shipping from Canada can be a nightmare, sometimes taking longer than getting something from Europe or the UK. With The Italian Barber, I get my orders in just a few days, usually via UPS and shipping is free with a very modest $60 order.

Top Bottom