What's new

RAZOROCK GC 0.68-P

Hi, folks! Let me say this right up-front, I'm not a collector or an aficionado of collecting. I'm just a guy that wants a good razor that gives me a clean, comfortable shave. Lord knows, I don't need another hobby. Smiles.

I'm also not a "newbie" to DE razors. As a kid I learned to shave using an old, hand-me-down, OC razor, probably a Gillette of some fashion. I still don't like OC razors to this day. LOL!

I've been using a "Chieftain" Butterfly razor for 8 years, or so. The razor was okay, nothing to write home about. Prior to that it was a name brand adjustable razor. That was a very disappointing experience. 18 months ago I noticed the blade was shifting around in my razor. Not good! So, I started tightening it up with pliers. Also, not good.

Bottom line, I needed to replace my razor. Looking around at stainless steel razors, most were totally out of my price range. So, this time around, I decided on a three (3) piece razor. IMO, a more robust and simpler design. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money. After looking around, I ended up with a Merkur 180 (23C). I'm not fond of cast Zinc, chrome plated razors, but it is what it is. Did I mention I prefer "mild" razors?

During my research for stainless steel razors, I can't believe I either missed, or overlooked RazoRock. But, I did.

When I began to research RazoRock I discovered a jewel in a sea of overpriced stainless steel razors: Game Changers! An apt name for this series of razors.

The first thing you notice is the excellent machine work! As a retired Aerospace engineer, I've had the pleasure of seeing some of the world's best machined goods. And, I can say unequivocally, RazorRock machine work is second to none. Tolerances look tight. I didn't breakout my Micrometer or my Dial Indicators, but to my calibrated eye everything looks good. The GC 0.68-P is made from 316L stainless steel. Which happens to be a material I'm very familiar with. Its used for the Liquid Oxygen (LOX) and Liquid Hydrogen supply piping on the Space Shuttle.

In light of my recent experiences, one of the most important features of any razor, for me, is how well the blade locks-up. In this instance, the GC 0.68-P is solid as a rock. No blade movement whatsoever.

I chose the "Super Knurled" handle. The 'knurling' is what I would call 'soft', not so sharp its uncomfortable, but still gives you excellent purchase and feels good in the hand. I also ordered the "Barber Pole" handle, but it hasn't arrived, yet.

I'd like to address one of the criticisms leveled at this razor. The "blade alignment pins", located on top of the Baseplate, rather than on the underside of the Cap. IMO, this is a non-issue. While it may be a little fiddly at first, after my first blade load, I quickly figured it out. Not an issue.

I also read people had issue with "Italian Barber" Customer Service. I can only say, my experience was the direct opposite. My second order, included a spare handle, and a few other items. Unfortunately, I pressed the wrong button and chose the wrong style handle. I emailed IB and within a very short time I received an answer back from "Michael" and he switched the order to the correct handle style. I've emailed IB a couple of times and I always got a timely and thoughtful response. Again, bad Customer Service has not been my experience.

My first shave was a delite! Close, comfortable with one tiny weeper, but that was caused by my poor technique. The 23C has made me lazy and sloppy. I don't know if this was the best shave of my life, but it was definitely top 5. I now look forward to shaving. Go figure?

The RazoRock Game Changer 0.68-P is my daily driver for the foreseeable future. The Merkur will be "gifted" to another.

In conclusion, the RazoRock Game Changer 0.68-P is a great razor. There may be other S.S. razors, but how much better and at what price? This razor is affordable, made from high quality material and CNC machined using tight tolerances. And, it gives me one of the best shaving experiences in my life. Checks all the boxes for me. JMHO. YMMV.
20230104_162000.jpg

20230104_162217.jpg

20230104_161813.jpg

b/r

ON_1

Last edited:
I have a GC .68P and like it so much that I have another on order to have as a spare, which should arrive in a couple days. For me, I went with the HD handle on both of them.

Regarding the alignment pins on the base plate instead of the top cap, initially I didn't like this, but now feel it's a non-issue. I essentially load the blade the same as if the pins were on the top cap, with the top cap sitting upside down on a towel. I then visually align the blade with the indents on the top cap, then set the base plate on and press it down until they fit together. When I press them together, I can feel when pins go into the indents on the top cap and it always goes together for me correctly on the first try, so really it's hardley any more difficult than if the pins were on the top cap. I keep them pressed together, then install the handle. Hopefully that explanation makes sense.

@bartje-p ...I think the 0.84-P base might be "a bridge too far" for me. I prefer mild razor/blade combos. I'll do without BBS, if I have to, to achieve CCS. But, I never say never.

b/r

ON_1

Hi, folks! Let me say this right up-front, I'm not a collector or an aficionado of collecting. I'm just a guy that wants a good razor that gives me a clean, comfortable shave. Lord knows, I don't need another hobby. Smiles.

I'm also not a "newbie" to DE razors. As a kid I learned to shave using an old, hand-me-down, OC razor, probably a Gillette of some fashion. I still don't like OC razors to this day. LOL!

I've been using a "Chieftain" Butterfly razor for 8 years, or so. The razor was okay, nothing to write home about. Prior to that it was a name brand adjustable razor. That was a very disappointing experience. 18 months ago I noticed the blade was shifting around in my razor. Not good! So, I started tightening it up with pliers. Also, not good.

Bottom line, I needed to replace my razor. Looking around at stainless steel razors, most were totally out of my price range. So, this time around, I decided on a three (3) piece razor. IMO, a more robust and simpler design. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money. After looking around, I ended up with a Merkur 180 (23C). I'm not fond of cast Zinc, chrome plated razors, but it is what it is. Did I mention I prefer "mild" razors?

During my research for stainless steel razors, I can't believe I either missed, or overlooked RazoRock. But, I did.

When I began to research RazoRock I discovered a jewel in a sea of overpriced stainless steel razors: Game Changers! An apt name for this series of razors.

The first thing you notice is the excellent machine work! As a retired Aerospace engineer, I've had the pleasure of seeing some of the world's best machined goods. And, I can say unequivocally, RazorRock machine work is second to none. Tolerances look tight. I didn't breakout my Micrometer or my Dial Indicators, but to my calibrated eye everything looks good. The GC 0.68-P is made from 316L stainless steel. Which happens to be a material I'm very familiar with. Its used for the Liquid Oxygen (LOX) and Liquid Hydrogen supply piping on the Space Shuttle.

In light of my recent experiences, one of the most important features of any razor, for me, is how well the blade locks-up. In this instance, the GC 0.68-P is solid as a rock. No blade movement whatsoever.

I chose the "Super Knurled" handle. The 'knurling' is what I would call 'soft', not so sharp its uncomfortable, but still gives you excellent purchase and feels good in the hand. I also ordered the "Barber Pole" handle, but it hasn't arrived, yet.

I'd like to address one of the criticisms leveled at this razor. The "blade alignment pins", located on top of the Baseplate, rather than on the underside of the Cap. IMO, this is a non-issue. While it may be a little fiddly at first, after my first blade load, I quickly figured it out. Not an issue.

I also read people had issue with "Italian Barber" Customer Service. I can only say, my experience was the direct opposite. My second order, included a spare handle, and a few other items. Unfortunately, I pressed the wrong button and chose the wrong style handle. I emailed IB and within a very short time I received an answer back from "Michael" and he switched the order to the correct handle style. I've emailed IB a couple of times and I always got a timely and thoughtful response. Again, bad Customer Service has not been my experience.

My first shave was a delite! Close, comfortable with one tiny weeper, but that was caused by my poor technique. The 23C has made me lazy and sloppy. I don't know if this was the best shave of my life, but it was definitely top 5. I now look forward to shaving. Go figure?

The RazoRock Game Changer 0.68-P is my daily driver for the foreseeable future. The Merkur will be "gifted" to another.

In conclusion, the RazoRock Game Changer 0.68-P is a great razor. There may be other S.S. razors, but how much better and at what price? This razor is affordable, made from high quality material and CNC machined using tight tolerances. And, it gives me one of the best shaving experiences in my life. Checks all the boxes for me. JMHO. YMMV.
View attachment 1583517
View attachment 1583519
View attachment 1583520

b/r

ON_1
One of the best reports I have read in a long time. And by the way, I concur wholeheartedly with your assessment of RazoRock quality and customer service… Well done sir!😊👍

Great write up!

How specifically would you say the shave experience compares to the 23C? More/less aggressive? More/less efficient? More/less "mindless?" Essentially the same?

@tm3 ...I'm not really comfortable with the vocabulary to accurately describe the shaving experience. However, I'll give it a shot. The Merkur 23C is a very mild razor. I noticed an immediate difference in "blade feel" with the GC 68-P. I interpret that to be more "aggressive". The GC 68-P did not require multiple passes over the same area, like the 23C does. So, I'll say its more "efficient". In truth, I get a very satisfactory shave with the Merkur and if I hadn't discovered the RazoRock GC 68-P, I would have lived with the 23C. IMO, the RR GC 68-P performance is significantly better than the Merkur.

I hope this helps, but my descriptions are a little feeble.

b/r

ON_1

@tm3 ...I'm not really comfortable with the vocabulary to accurately describe the shaving experience. However, I'll give it a shot. The Merkur 23C is a very mild razor. I noticed an immediate difference in "blade feel" with the GC 68-P. I interpret that to be more "aggressive". The GC 68-P did not require multiple passes over the same area, like the 23C does. So, I'll say its more "efficient". In truth, I get a very satisfactory shave with the Merkur and if I hadn't discovered the RazoRock GC 68-P, I would have lived with the 23C. IMO, the RR GC 68-P performance is significantly better than the Merkur.

I hope this helps, but my descriptions are a little feeble.

b/r

ON_1
ON_1, I think your vocabulary is “Right On”. I do not have a GC 68, but do have the GC 84 and have also used a Merkur 23 several years ago, (fine little razor I might add). I think you gave a very accurate description of the two razors and their performance, (IMHO of course).👍😊💈

@bartje-p ...I think the 0.84-P base might be "a bridge too far" for me. I prefer mild razor/blade combos. I'll do without BBS, if I have to, to achieve CCS. But, I never say never.

b/r

ON_1
I have and Love my 68p baseplate. I found the 84 to be just a touch too much..."a bridge too far".
I can achieve DFS++ with the .68. It could easily be my only razor.
I haven't tried the super knurl handle, but have used the Bulldog and Bamboo.

My personal preference is Razorocks vintage style Thin BAR handle. Short, thin, and light. Gives a slightly head forward balance that I like.

A great razor at a good price!

@Jayson74 ...I have the "Barber Pole" coming in today. IMO, its one of the most attractive handles RazoRock makes.

Discovering the .84 is too much is the main reason I'll stay with the .68 plate. But, I never say never. So....

b/r

ON_1

great review thoughts on them and agree !

I had a GC and made it to my top 3 against the Wolfman and the Timeless IMHO bang for buck either GC or Lupo from RR are the ones to look at both giving a unique feel with the Lupo being more blade forward ! for me the Timeless finally won the rounds and sold the Wolfman and the GC again that is saying a lot as we all just have to find what we love the most

if you have not tried the .84 plate ? or did you ?
I say try it you might be surprised at how nice it is I ended up liking it more than my .68 but the old YMMV

never had a issue with Italian Barber ordering ? never heard any bad but sure someone somewhere was not happy 🤷‍♂️

I like mild razors, and the 68P is one of my favorites. To me, the Game Changer razors are the best value in machined stainless steel.

I also have a 68OC and several handles including the HD, UFO, and a Barber Pole. I like them all, but the Barber Pole is the most beautiful, and a steal at 20 (?) bucks.

I had an aluminum Hawk and a stainless steel Hawk and only sold them once I got my Vector. I also have two Hawk ECO SE razors that I use for head shaves.

Disclaimer: I'm a fan. 🙂

@Jayson74 ...I have the "Barber Pole" coming in today. IMO, its one of the most attractive handles RazoRock makes.

Discovering the .84 is too much is the main reason I'll stay with the .68 plate. But, I never say never. So....

b/r

ON_1
Forgot to mention, I also have the RR UFO handle. It is good...second to the thin BAR for me.
I have the Lupo aluminum and find that it is a very close rival for the Gamechanger .68p. Much lighter but I find I enjoy light razors. It is definitely worth the $40 canadian they charge. Seems to be machined to the same tolerances.

Be well
Jay

They are indeed fantastic razors, one of my favorites.

My only minor gripe is one I have with any 3 piece with small amounts of blade curvature in the head - drying it out between uses basically requires disassembly to get an air gap between the blade and base plate/top cap. More curvy designs you can just loosen the handle a bit.

But that’s a small thing. And the minimal blade curve is what makes the head so compact and easy to maneuver under the nose.

Top Bottom