What's new

Razorock Gamechanger 0.68 OC vs 0.84 SB

Well I would also suggest looking at the DScosmetics x2 it is a .68 blade gap (geometry seems a tad different than the Gamechanger) since it is more comfortable vs my 68 JAWS yet my BBS lasted longer than my 84p? It also has a great handle option with the destroyer and a scalloped cap for looks! Mind you I still wouldn't shy away from the 68 Jaws it is my favorite Game Changer out of 68p, 68 Jaws, 84p , 84 Jaws sorry I have no experience with the normal OC plates unless you count the X2.

Since my last post in this thread I've had two more shaves with the .68 OC and they were perfect. It would figure I might be regretting dropping $250 on my Henson Ti22 medium. Great razor when you don't want to worry about irritation or nicks but now that I've got o know the .68 OC it feels smoother and gives closer results.

I usually wait 3 days between shaves but I was able to shave on 2 days rest with the .68 OC and got one of my closest shaves yet with no irritation or nicks. That's a first for my sensitive skin.

Since my last post in this thread I've had two more shaves with the .68 OC and they were perfect. It would figure I might be regretting dropping $250 on my Henson Ti22 medium. Great razor when you don't want to worry about irritation or nicks but now that I've got o know the .68 OC it feels smoother and gives closer results.

I usually wait 3 days between shaves but I was able to shave on 2 days rest with the .68 OC and got one of my closest shaves yet with no irritation or nicks. That's a first for my sensitive skin.
Very interesting.
How would you compare the blade feel and blade clamping/control between the 68 OC and the Henson?

Very interesting.
How would you compare the blade feel and blade clamping/control between the 68 OC and the Henson?

I'm not really great at describing "blade feel" as i've only been wet shaving for maybe 6 months, so take my opinions for what they are worth. I'm still not quite sure precisely what people mean by that phrase "blade feel" but I can try to describe the differences I feel between the two.

I used the Henson this morning and noticed that it doesn't cut quite as smoothly as the .68 OC, and that was with a fresh Kai blade. The .68 OC just seems to slice through the whiskers like butter but I still get audible feedback so I know it's cutting. Not that the Henson isn't smooth, but the .68 OC is on a different level.

The Henson's flat angled head sometimes creates a suction type feeling on my skin, especially in large flat areas like the cheeks, while the .68 OC glides easier. The Henson clamps the blade down like nothing else. The calmping force and tiny blade exposure will not allow for any blade chatter, that's for sure.

The .68 OC seems to clamp well but that's something I can't really tell from just looking at it. You can see a lot of the blade but it doesn't seem to be off alignment once tightened and I'm getting irritation free shaves so it must be doing something right.

I did get a close shave this morning with the Henson but it took a little more effort than my previous shave with the .68 OC. The .68 OC seems to handle the hairs down the middle of my neck that grow straight down and super flat better than the Henson.

Hope that helps.

I'm not really great at describing "blade feel" as i've only been wet shaving for maybe 6 months, so take my opinions for what they are worth. I'm still not quite sure precisely what people mean by that phrase "blade feel" but I can try to describe the differences I feel between the two.

I used the Henson this morning and noticed that it doesn't cut quite as smoothly as the .68 OC, and that was with a fresh Kai blade. The .68 OC just seems to slice through the whiskers like butter but I still get audible feedback so I know it's cutting. Not that the Henson isn't smooth, but the .68 OC is on a different level.

The Henson's flat angled head sometimes creates a suction type feeling on my skin, especially in large flat areas like the cheeks, while the .68 OC glides easier. The Henson clamps the blade down like nothing else. The calmping force and tiny blade exposure will not allow for any blade chatter, that's for sure.

The .68 OC seems to clamp well but that's something I can't really tell from just looking at it. You can see a lot of the blade but it doesn't seem to be off alignment once tightened and I'm getting irritation free shaves so it must be doing something right.

I did get a close shave this morning with the Henson but it took a little more effort than my previous shave with the .68 OC. The .68 OC seems to handle the hairs down the middle of my neck that grow straight down and super flat better than the Henson.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the detailed reply, it certainly helps!

When you say that the Henson doesn't cut as smoothly, I wonder if what you are referring to is in fact what I myself alluded to in my last shave and Henson revisit: the blade in the Henson feels (to me) to be cutting at a steep angle, which can make it feel as if it "struggles" more to cut through the stubble. The Henson is what I call a "scraper", and maybe the .68 is more of a "slicer"? I have made that distinction in razors several times in my journal.

Either way your post has made me contemplate getting an OC razor for the first time.

Thank you for the detailed reply, it certainly helps!

When you say that the Henson doesn't cut as smoothly, I wonder if what you are referring to is in fact what I myself alluded to in my last shave and Henson revisit: the blade in the Henson feels (to me) to be cutting at a steep angle, which can make it feel as if it "struggles" more to cut through the stubble. The Henson is what I call a "scraper", and maybe the .68 is more of a "slicer"? I have made that distinction in razors several times in my journal.

Either way your post has made me contemplate getting an OC razor for the first time.
I would say the scraper vs slider description is spot on.

I have both the .84SB and the .68SB. Love the .84 but since I am now on Plavix....... the .68 is now a better option and I am happy with the results....

Reactions: Kix
I recently acquired a .68OC and have to say that I'm disappointed in it. Though I'm only 3 shaves in, it's still a pretty harsh shaver for me and makes for more scrapes than I feel are acceptable - a close shave with lots of rash and weepers. It is definitely NOT simply a beefed up version of the .68P. In all it's much more aggressive than its safety bar version and has considerably more blade feel than even the .84P. I suppose it could be a blade issue, but the blades are otherwise fine in different razors. And before anyone can suggest that shaving with an open comb requires a different technique, I used a 30s open comb Goodwill for 20 years, so I'm good on that count.

Anyway, I'll put it away and probably give it another try in a few months or so.

Thanks for your review. I've been on the fence about getting a GC .68OC (I have 68 and 84 SB). Think I'll pass, for now anyway.

Here's my take:

I now have 3 razors remaining in my stable -- a GC .84P, GC .68OC, and a SLOC (+ 3 spare SLOC heads stashed away) -- not counting the Merkur 25C, RR OLD type, & Feather I've given to my teenager. My SLOC is my travel razor and my two Game Changers are on deck sink-side. Worth noting is that I usually load Perma-Sharps in all of them (I also like Nacet & Astra SS).

If I'm shaving every day -- meaning I'm not accumulating several days of growth between shaves (such as this particular week) -- my GC .84P gets the nod. BUT, once I have something that can begin to be called a beard, I generally reach for an open comb. My beard grows in pretty thick and the clog-free nature of an OC razor just puts it over anything with a safety bar for me. Also, since I'm not almost never trying to go from a beard straight to a "true BBS" shave, the .68OC is the clear choice. It's an effortless way to get a clog-free DFS in 2 passes, even when starting from days (or weeks) of growth. The SLOC is no slouch in this department either.

Bottom line: If I were keep only 1 razor, it'd be the GC .68OC because it does everything well enough. Even though the GC .84P gives me a slightly closer shave, it isn't as clog-free for when I return from no-shave backpacking or fishing trips (these are fortunately not infrequent, so I have a strong affinity for open combs). I keep my SLOC as a travel razor because it's a damn fine tool -- yet it's inexpensive enough that I have 3 "spare" heads to insulate me from loss/damage (before I bought a SLOC, I used a Merkur 15/25C or OLD type in this role). If I didn't already own the GC .68OC, I could surely get by nicely with a .84P and the SLOC....but since I do own my GC .68OC, I just couldn't now see letting it go.

In short:

If I were starting from scratch and limited to only 1 razor: GC .68OC
... only 2 razors: GC .84P and SLOC (or .68OC)
... only 3 razors: GC .84P, CG .68OC, and SLOC *This is where I'm at & likely to remain*

---as always, YMMV.

Reactions: cf1
Top Bottom