What's new

RazoRock Game Changer .68P or Mamba .70

Well, no encouragement was needed, just ordered the GC .84-P with a stand. Keeping my fingers crossed it will work, thinking it will since .95SB Timeless was just too much but Aluminum is more aggressive than .68SB and I can use it 7 days in a row. Guess time will tell.
Congratulations @OhioBob I’m sure you will be very happy with the GC.84. I’m pulling for you that it will work. It’s the Goldilocks of all razors not too mild not too aggressive just the right level of efficiency and smoothness.

I had emailed IB and they suggested buying the .68 and then buying the .84 plates. So with all I have been reading, particularly from folks that used an EJ89 and moved right to the .84 I guess I was willing to take a crap shoot. Thanks for the encouragement and if it doesn’t work out it’s all your fault! Just Kidding! LOL!

It may be a mistake, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Got to thinking since I do quite a bit of buffing with my .68SB and less with the Aluminum then maybe I should try the .84-P GC. If the .68-P GC is very similar to my Timeless .68SB then as IB mentioned in their email to me that the .68 may work but I might want to order the .84 plate and then CALM_SHAVER stated he couldn’t shave everyday with his .95 Timeless but could use his .84-P almost daily I just decided I should go for it. Worst case, I order a .68-P later if the .84 doesn’t work out and sell the .84. Little encouragement was needed, I think I rationalized the purchase, but my RAD might have more control over me than I think. What an all consuming addiction we have! LOL

I own the GC .68, and it's my favorite razor (looks good, glides easily, close shave, covered blade tabs, barberpole handle is aesthetic and grippy). I have the GC .84 baseplate on order (arrives Monday), and a Mamba 70 on order (arrives next Thursday). Still waiting for the GC OC baseplate to be restocked.

When I want a quick, good shave in a hurry without nicks, I reach for the GC .68. It's also great for leisurely shaves, and I like it more than the other 20-30 odd razors I either own or have tried. I'm really looking forward to the .84. The Mamba I'm a little more hesitant on, as I've heard that the angle is a little less intuitive; having said that, I wasn't going to pass it up. I'm definitely not enthusiastic about the Ti handle, though - I may well trade or sell that.

First I'm very happy with GC68 and Russian Ti handle
Anyone close to NYC should visit Pasteur Pharmacy on 34th Street if you are looking for GC68 or GC84. They have a website but i doubt they list them there

I own the GC .68, and it's my favorite razor (looks good, glides easily, close shave, covered blade tabs, barberpole handle is aesthetic and grippy). I have the GC .84 baseplate on order (arrives Monday), and a Mamba 70 on order (arrives next Thursday). Still waiting for the GC OC baseplate to be restocked.

When I want a quick, good shave in a hurry without nicks, I reach for the GC .68. It's also great for leisurely shaves, and I like it more than the other 20-30 odd razors I either own or have tried. I'm really looking forward to the .84. The Mamba I'm a little more hesitant on, as I've heard that the angle is a little less intuitive; having said that, I wasn't going to pass it up. I'm definitely not enthusiastic about the Ti handle, though - I may well trade or sell that.
Let me know how you like the .84-P. Hoping mine will be here Thursday before we leave on vacation. I went back and forth between the .68 GC and the .84 and finally decided go for the .84 and order the .68 if I don’t get along with the .84 GC.

>>> Anyone close to NYC should visit Pasteur Pharmacy on 34th Street if you are looking for GC68 or GC84.

I work near Pasteur Pharmacy and they do have a few RR options on their shelf along with Merkur, EJ, Parker, ATT and several others. I bought my first Mamba53 there about a year ago and just purchased the Mamba70 from the RR site because Pasteur did not have it. I also have the GC68 and love it (great shave with it this morning). They shave differently. I enjoy them both because they feel like premium products. As I became better at shaving with a safety razor I found the Mamba53 less efficient for me (but when I first got it it was the best razor I ever used). It's silky smooth and never cuts your face. The shaves were great but I had a hard time getting a few spots under my chin and around the jawline. The GC68 was better able to shave those spots smooth. There is something about the way the Mamba53 feels on my face that makes me wonder about the 70. The Mamba53 navigates around and under my nose perfectly so the Mamba70 will get a try and I hope it retains all of the nice features of the 53 with more efficiency. I’m hoping the Mamba70 will get into my current rotation of the GC68, Lupo SS (aluminum is very nice too), PAA Ascension SS and RR SLOC (which I barely use but it’s there on standby in case I want to change things up).

I didn't want to start a new thread on the exact same topic, so I'd figured if chime in here ...

I recently have been thinking about trying a Mamba 70. Reading the boards, etc. It seems the concensus is that the 70 is smoother with less blade feel than the GC 68? Seems like the Mamba 70 would be close to a Post war tech in feel, but a bit more efficient? I am definitely a smooth razor guy... I prefer my Rockwell with a 2 or 3 plate, for example.

Also, am I reading this correctly... The Timeless .68 is a less agressive razor than the .38? If so, I assume it's an exposure thing?

Thanks.

>>> The Timeless .68 is a less agressive razor than the .38?

Yes, why is that? I was wondering the same thing.
Think this has been answered previously, do a search here in the forum. I have both and can attest that the .38 is more aggressive than the .68. Both are efficient but .68 is smoother.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Blade gap is only part of what makes a Razor more efficient or aggressive
Blade position on the plate also plays a part.
Don't make the mistake of thinking if a razor is more aggressive that it is more efficient.
I have a few Razors that are super efficient but can't hardly feel the blade and I have shaved with Razors that all I felt was blade , to me that is aggressive with out giving me the comfort that I want in a razor.

Blade gap is only part of what makes a Razor more efficient or aggressive
Blade position on the plate also plays a part.
Don't make the mistake of thinking if a razor is more aggressive that it is more efficient.
I have a few Razors that are super efficient but can't hardly feel the blade and I have shaved with Razors that all I felt was blade , to me that is aggressive with out giving me the comfort that I want in a razor.
I figured it had to be the exposure. However, it just seemed odd... Same vendor, same model razor, yet when they switch one they switch both.

It does makes sense though, as a .38 would seem to be a little too inefficient with something like a negative or neutral exposure.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I figured it had to be the exposure. However, it just seemed odd... Same vendor, same model razor, yet when they switch one they switch both.

It does makes sense though, as a .38 would seem to be a little too inefficient with something like a negative or neutral exposure.

Timeless Stainless and Titanium are machined differently than the aluminum or the bronze Razors.

Timeless Stainless and Titanium are machined differently than the aluminum or the bronze Razors.
Interesting. I'll definitely have to do some more research. If I find they make something as mild as a tech, I may have to jump in. Their quality is impeccable. [emoji846]

Thanks Graydog!

I didn't want to start a new thread on the exact same topic, so I'd figured if chime in here ...

I recently have been thinking about trying a Mamba 70. Reading the boards, etc. It seems the concensus is that the 70 is smoother with less blade feel than the GC 68? Seems like the Mamba 70 would be close to a Post war tech in feel, but a bit more efficient? I am definitely a smooth razor guy... I prefer my Rockwell with a 2 or 3 plate, for example.

Also, am I reading this correctly... The Timeless .68 is a less agressive razor than the .38? If so, I assume it's an exposure thing?

Thanks.
I just received my Mamba .53 yesterday and shaved with it today for the first time. Coming from a Game Changer .84, I've got to say that I'm impressed. While the .84 doesn't have a lot of blade feel, I did have to be careful of it biting. With the .53, no worries. It is going to take a couple of days to retrain my brain on angle, but the shave came out just as smooth (or maybe even smoother) than I had been getting with the .84.
When I purchased the .53, I really wanted the .70 but it wasn't in stock (until the next day). I almost cancelled the order to buy the .70 but I'm glad I didn't so far. This may actually be a razor that can be my daily and be perfectly happy with.
I also bought a .68 Game Changer from a gentlemen here on BST, so I'm probably going to sell my .84 as I couldn't shave with it for more than 5 days without getting irritation.
I will say this, if you have the Razorock SLOC and like it, then you'll like the Mamba .53 as well. Shaves feels much the same, just a tad more efficient.

I just received my Mamba .53 yesterday and shaved with it today for the first time. Coming from a Game Changer .84, I've got to say that I'm impressed. While the .84 doesn't have a lot of blade feel, I did have to be careful of it biting. With the .53, no worries. It is going to take a couple of days to retrain my brain on angle, but the shave came out just as smooth (or maybe even smoother) than I had been getting with the .84.
When I purchased the .53, I really wanted the .70 but it wasn't in stock (until the next day). I almost cancelled the order to buy the .70 but I'm glad I didn't so far. This may actually be a razor that can be my daily and be perfectly happy with.
I also bought a .68 Game Changer from a gentlemen here on BST, so I'm probably going to sell my .84 as I couldn't shave with it for more than 5 days without getting irritation.
I will say this, if you have the Razorock SLOC and like it, then you'll like the Mamba .53 as well. Shaves feels much the same, just a tad more efficient.
Awesome. Thank you so much for the info... That is a huge help.

When you get time to use it would you be kind enough to post a comparison of the 68 to the 53?

Thanks again. [emoji846]

Awesome. Thank you so much for the info... That is a huge help.

When you get time to use it would you be kind enough to post a comparison of the 68 to the 53?

Thanks again. [emoji846]
Will do. I did use the .68 briefly (three days) and none of those shaves were as close as the Mamba. Smoothness, they were similar. I also didn't use my normal blade, which didn't help. Basically I didn't set myself up for success with the .68 when I tried it the first time.

Top Bottom