What's new

RazoRock Formulas

I've just started using shaving soaps and seem to have got lucky with a purchase of Italian Barber Amici. It seems to lather well and has a scent I'm really enjoying. I did purchase some Proraso Sensitive Skin (white) soap at the same time, and if didn't have the Amici, I'd probably be quite happy with the Proraso; similar lather performance, but the Proraso just doesn't have the scent.

OK for my question: Italian Barber/RazoRock seems to have at least three base formulas. A simple one used in Amici and some others: Stearic Acid, Aqua (Water/Eau), Cocos Nucifera(Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, [Fragrance related ingredients]

A "Super Formula" that adds Hydrogenated Lanolin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea)Butter, Argania Spinosa (Argan)Oil, and Aloe Barbadensis Extract(Aloe).

And a "Super Tallow Formula"Tallow Acid to the "Super Formula".

Are the Super Formulas a major improvement, an improvement, or not so much; maybe primarily a marketing trick to make the product seem 'new and improved'?

Yeah, RazoRock soaps are made by different soap makers for Italian Barber, so think of them as completely different soaps from different companies. They tend not to tell you who made which ones so it's a bit of a guessing game.

Paintflinger gave you very good advice above. Mudder Focker is by far their best soap and the one I'd recommend you purchase.

But there doesn't seem to be an enjoyable scent in Mudder Focker, at least to nose. Now in all fairness, I have trouble smelling certain things, or detect little or any scent with some soaps, after-shaves, my wife's perfumes. I have Mudder Focker, smells like soap with clay or dirt mixed in to me! - I WISH that I could smell it, but I can't. On the other hand, their Essential Lime smells awesome, and I can detect some scent in XXX and absolutely smell P160. Unfortunately, have trouble smelling anything in Son of Zeus as well, I own all four, rarely use the Zeus & MF, probably because I can't really smell them.

If you're shopping smells, you simply bought the wrong Prosaso, their Sandwood has a very strong pleasant scent to my nose, the white nearly none (although I do get the hit of menthol, and there's something there, that isn't 'soap', just have trouble smelling it), and of course the Green Eucalyptus I can smell and it clears the sinuses up.

That said, my favorites scent wise (if you want a strong scent like I do) are the Stirling Soaps, love, absolutely love their Stirling Spice and enjoy Tuscany (hey, I can smell it!). Another one is Tabac, nice strong and while I hate cigarettes and tobacco, it smells nothing like it, as it's make from the flowers and not the leaves. DR Harris, great soap, but again, the scent of the Arlington I have is barely detectable to my nose.

I enjoy Mudder Focker and XXX due to their tallow formulation. I have a couple other Razo Rocks
as the price is right for a decent shave, but tallow is the key for me.

RazoRock 'Essential Oil of Lime' is a great scent and solid performer. The only other RazoRock soap I've tried is 'Essential Oil of Lavender'. I've been curious about XXX, but have heard it's not as good as it was originally.

I enjoy Mudder Focker and XXX due to their tallow formulation. I have a couple other Razo Rocks
as the price is right for a decent shave, but tallow is the key for me.

I agree

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

I really like their old tallow formula like Moroccan Secret, by far the best RR soap I have tried. Not all their formulas are created equal. Like others have said Mudder Focker has fullers earth in it which is good for your skin, while others have lanolin or other ingredients. The lanolin ones like Tuscan Oud, and Al Sapone are not bad, but would say they are a bit better than the vegan or previous formula.

If possible see if you can find a tub of the older stuff, I believe tallow is the second ingredient. there are a ton of RR soaps out there so it shouldn't be that hard to find some.

I know I ordered Don Marco and classic and I would have been better served to have just stopped at lowes and picked up a belt sander to shave with. Hands down the cheapest worst soap I've ever used but at least it was cheap.

I know I ordered Don Marco and classic and I would have been better served to have just stopped at lowes and picked up a belt sander to shave with. Hands down the cheapest worst soap I've ever used but at least it was cheap.

While I don't consider basic RR to be the bee's knees, it is entirely serviceable. If you had a bad shave with it, it's entirely on you and not the soap.

Yeah, with the Mudder Focker soap I wasn't fond of the scent either. I had a tub and figured I'd just use it up and then not replace it. About 2 weeks into the tub I bought two more tubs. Even now, it's not the scent that makes me reach for it, it's the performance that's excellent and sets it apart from their other soaps.

While I don't consider basic RR to be the bee's knees, it is entirely serviceable. If you had a bad shave with it, it's entirely on you and not the soap.
And how is that? And it wasn't one bad shave it was several. It's a low dollar soap with no slickness what so ever, it wasnt to much water or to little it's not a good soap.

Yeah, RazoRock soaps are made by different soap makers for Italian Barber, so think of them as completely different soaps from different companies. They tend not to tell you who made which ones so it's a bit of a guessing game.

Paintflinger gave you very good advice above. Mudder Focker is by far their best soap and the one I'd recommend you purchase.

That's why I don't intend to buy more RR soaps. I have two, and while both are good, they are different. On top of that, RR sometimes changes the formulas without warning. That makes it hard to know what I'm buying.

The only RazoRock soap I have left in my soap rotation is Mudder Focker. I would definitely add more soaps from them if they were made by this same soap maker, otherwise I'll likely pass.

The only RazoRock soap I have left in my soap rotation is Mudder Focker. I would definitely add more soaps from them if they were made by this same soap maker, otherwise I'll likely pass.
Ok so what am I missing with razorock? When I buy soap commander or stirling or whatever I'm basically just switching scents and maybe something that doesn't effect the shave. I ordered 2 tubs of Razorock and imo they were garbage, granted cheap but awful soaps. So is whoever stakes claim to the brand buying it from the cheapest maker and several different ones?

Ok so what am I missing with razorock? When I buy soap commander or stirling or whatever I'm basically just switching scents and maybe something that doesn't effect the shave. I ordered 2 tubs of Razorock and imo they were garbage, granted cheap but awful soaps. So is whoever stakes claim to the brand buying it from the cheapest maker and several different ones?

They sub out their soap making. The RazoRock soaps were made by, at one point, four different soap makers. So for example, one soap maker might have made 4 of their soaps, another maybe six different ones. Another made 3 and another made 2. Depending on the maker the soaps could be very good, very bad, or just ok. To complicate matters they won't tell you who makes which ones for them. So if you happen to like one of their soaps and you order two more different soaps from RazoRock you might as well have just picked any other random soap maker and placed an order because you likely weren't getting a soap from the same maker that made the one you liked. They all carry the RazoRock label though so it makes it difficult. You have to look at each one individually, read reviews for each one and pick the better ones while skipping the rest.

They sub out their soap making. The RazoRock soaps were made by, at one point, four different soap makers. So for example, one soap maker might have made 4 of their soaps, another maybe six different ones. Another made 3 and another made 2. Depending on the maker the soaps could be very good, very bad, or just ok. To complicate matters they won't tell you who makes which ones for them. So if you happen to like one of their soaps and you order two more different soaps from RazoRock you might as well have just picked any other random soap maker and placed an order because you likely weren't getting a soap from the same maker that made the one you liked. They all carry the RazoRock label though so it makes it difficult. You have to look at each one individually, read reviews for each one and pick the better ones while skipping the rest.

I understand now why I have such a difference in shaving with those soaps - some so bad (low protection) - an some very good...

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Top Bottom