What's new

RazoRock ECO First Look

M

Member 113878

my general conclusions a reverse shim is essential for daily shaving otherwise I would not use the ECO without mods. Post # 79 gives a fleshed out description
Out of curiosity, did you try the Hawk too?

RR should offer a "buy-back" for this (ECO) dangerous monstrosity.......put mine away in the back of a drawer ..... don't want anyone going near it !!

Out of curiosity, did you try the Hawk too?

I tried the Hawk but I do not like the wide blade format, so the Hawk has remained ignored. I do have a large stock of DE blades, which makes the ECO more attractive as a candidate for modding, rather than putting effort into the Hawk with it's more costly blades, of which I do not have in stock in volume. I used the following link on shimming as my primary guide, paying close attention to reverse shims.

ECO is in my view a good razor to mod due to ample blade exposure, reverse shims reinforce, guard and mitigate the blade exposure to a manageable level. the ECO can be transformed into razor equal to a Schick injector in terms of comfort and efficiency, absolutely top shelf. Not bad for a rough horrorshow product.

M

Member 113878

Thanks for that fantastic link, I just printed it!
May I ask what material you use for reverse shims, please?
Thanks again!

I used one of the Crown blades that came with the razor and cut the blade with tin snips, followed with a course stone to remove any burr, followed with a fine stone to guarantee smooth rounded edges. As it happened, the shim projects about 1.2 mm from the cap.

It's very efficient, the chatter from the blade causes considerable sting from the AS though. Shims does reduce the issue, there's too much blade reveal.

Are you shaving against the grain? I've used alot of DE's and never noticed much chatter, and sting has always been due to using too much pressure or wrong angle (riding the bar).

I don't think its realistic to expect a DE to be ideal shaving against the grain.

i like my eco and i havent had Any problems with it. i used the blades that came with it and did it the way they directed it to be used and i get great shaves with it. im sorry to hear some are having troubles with it because i really like it.. i had not even thought about using a shim with it but now i might just have to try one just to see what the difference is....

OK, my final thoughts on the ECO. I've tried everything. Doubled up the blades, heavier handle (that did improve the shave somewhat, but not enough), different angles, etc. At this point, I've thrown in the towel. This is one rough shaving razor! I didn't get as much irritation as the amount of chatter while shaving would lead me to believe, BUT, the chatter was horrible. Truth is, I do like heavier razors but wanted to try a lightweight. I had used a few injector razors a long time ago and liked the way they performed so I thought I'd try the ECO. I'm done with it. Yesterday, I returned to my Merkur gold plated Futur and decided to try the Merkur blades in it. I can't believe the difference. The razor glided over my skin with no chatter or tugging, almost as if there weren't a blade in it. So, this was the first shave with the Merkur blades and it reminded me of the first shave with the British Wilkinsons many years ago when they were first introduced to this country through hardware stores. At this point, no more experimenting. I'm enjoying this Merkur combination too much to screw with it.

OK, my final thoughts on the ECO. I've tried everything. Doubled up the blades, heavier handle (that did improve the shave somewhat, but not enough), different angles, etc. At this point, I've thrown in the towel. This is one rough shaving razor! I didn't get as much irritation as the amount of chatter while shaving would lead me to believe, BUT, the chatter was horrible. Truth is, I do like heavier razors but wanted to try a lightweight. I had used a few injector razors a long time ago and liked the way they performed so I thought I'd try the ECO. I'm done with it. Yesterday, I returned to my Merkur gold plated Futur and decided to try the Merkur blades in it. I can't believe the difference. The razor glided over my skin with no chatter or tugging, almost as if there weren't a blade in it. So, this was the first shave with the Merkur blades and it reminded me of the first shave with the British Wilkinsons many years ago when they were first introduced to this country through hardware stores. At this point, no more experimenting. I'm enjoying this Merkur combination too much to screw with it.
I'm guessing your Merkur Futur is DE, since I don't think Merkur makes the Futur in SE, but maybe try breaking a Merkur DE blade in half, and stick it in your ECO before giving up on it??? I've read SE razors are more picky with blades than DE razors. I for one tried the ECO once and while there was chatter the cheap Derby blade I tried wasn't horrible, but I haven't tried shimming mine yet.

I recently revisited the Eco and was determined to dial it in for a good shave. When I purchased it a while back I had moderate success with the Eco after some experimenting with different blades. I just couldn't seem to get a smooth clean shave with it. It ended up in the tote box with all the others. My recent foray into the Eco proved to be more successful.

I did my usual prep -- Proraso preshave cream. My blade choice was a Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge. I had a really nice, close and smooth shave. The difference? Good prep, a great blade and a very light pressure. I plan to try this razor again this week one day and will use the blades that came with the razor -- Crown.

The take away messages -- 1) never say never, 2) good prep is important, 3) Good blades do make a difference, 4) The problem is rarely with the razor and more with the user, 5) practice makes perfect.

Mine works fine. It’s very blade dependent though. The lord platinum se seems to work well. Better than the permasharp for me, which surprised me.

I didn’t experience any “chatter” with mine.

A buy back seems kind of ridiculous.

Once you master the Eco may I suggest the Hawk V2 with a Feather Artist Club Blade. If you have an old Gillette Tech handle it too will fit on both the Eco and Hawk and will up the quality of the Razor. This is a Feather AS/D2 handle on the Hawk. My biggest beef with both is the cheap slippery handle. Change that and you have yourself an awesome shaver at a very reasonable price.
RR-Hawk:Feather AS:D2:PAA CaD:Feather Pro (1) :Stetson.jpg

This morning I decided to shave with the Eco again and this time I used a Crown blade. The purchase of the Eco came with 100 Crown blades. My first impression of the blades was...nice packaging, but not very good. Tuggy, edgy, and all around not a good blade. They went in my blade box forever banished.

Well, once again I get to backtrack and eat my words. The Crown is a fine blade. I did my usual prep and once again, I used light pressure and I received a very fine shave. Not a nick or weeper, no tugginess and no sense of edginess.

The takeaway lesson is: if you buy a new razor and/or blade after the first two tries you feel it is a waste of money, put it away for a while, let it mellow like a fine wine and then try again. You may be surprised to learn two things: how much your technique has improved and how a good shave depends more on the person, not the gear.

Now...I wonder if they will issue the Eco in stainless?

M

Member 113878

Gave mine another try today, and was still disappointed.
Uncomfortable shave.
1/2 German wilkie and MR11 black handle on the ECO head.

I think this razor has a good design, it just needs to be in stainless steel. I have several aluminum razors, but this is the only one that I have had skip on me, due to the lightness.

I will try a heavier handle to see if it helps the skipping. I did get a good enough shave with the Eco and the Crown blade on the first try, but I had a lot of AS sting on my neck.

I'll report back with my personal findings.

Fantastic eco shave today. Loved the euromax blade. Planning on using it tomorrow. Steep angle is key.

proxy.php

Btw, I still agree it needs a heavy handle. If the whole thing came in stainless, I would buy it right now.

I added a fairly heavy handle from a Parker razor, and the shave was excellent. Next I'm going to try my fattest, heaviest handle to see if it is too much or even better.

I really like the "bomb tip" like handle that was on the Eco, but the razor was just too light with it.

Top Bottom