What's new

RazoRock ECO First Look

I was bored and bought a Hawk and an Eco. The Hawk with a Proline was meh, no match for my SS ATT SE1. I used the Hawk with my ATT Atlas handle.

The Eco was a different story. I also used it with the Atlas handle with an Astra SS blade. Stroke for stroke, it's efficiency rivaled that of my precious ATT SE1. I used it at a shallow angle like I use with GEM razors. It was very efficient and smooth.

I would probably buy this one in stainless steel if it was made.

I still prefer the wider AC blade(Proline) but the Eco will get use quite a bit, I still have a lot of DE blades, my wife won't switch to SE.

I'm not sure about the fate of the Hawk, it got the job done, but took more strokes than the Eco and SE1 to hit BBS.

My technique is...I lather once and shave ATG as many strokes needed to hit BBS.

The Eco performed great.

Last edited:
So here is my 5cents about the Eco based on one use for head shaving. HORRIBLE!! . I put an USTA blade (works fine on all razors). This razor was a jumper...., it did not glide....I had never experienced this....at least I did not cut myself. Wasted $$ ohh and I did change the handle to a heavy SS....same results. Too much chatter, jumping .... I tried a bit on my face and it was the same. To a drawer....

So here is my 5cents about the Eco based on one use for head shaving. HORRIBLE!! . I put an USTA blade (works fine on all razors). This razor was a jumper...., it did not glide....I had never experienced this....at least I did not cut myself. Wasted $$ ohh and I did change the handle to a heavy SS....same results. Too much chatter, jumping .... I tried a bit on my face and it was the same. To a drawer....

I guess the old ymmv came into play here because i love my eco. Did you get the black one? Just curious

Follow up to my earlier comments: After three shaves with the Feather blades, I had to change and the Wilkies (my favorite goto blade) was not readily available so I installed another Crown blade. Contrary to my first experience and after I apparently had made adjustments to the feel of the Eco, I got a great shave with no chatter. With my Futur razor, the weight of the razor is all that's needed to get a smooth shave. With the lightweight Eco, I had to use pressure to eliminate the chatter and let the razor cut smoothly. Amazing how this experience points out that you can't trust first impressions and have to adjust to the equipment you're using. Excellent comfortable shave, close but less irritating than with other razors. The sting from the cologne was much less.

Follow up to my earlier comments: After three shaves with the Feather blades, I had to change and the Wilkies (my favorite goto blade) was not readily available so I installed another Crown blade. Contrary to my first experience and after I apparently had made adjustments to the feel of the Eco, I got a great shave with no chatter. With my Futur razor, the weight of the razor is all that's needed to get a smooth shave. With the lightweight Eco, I had to use pressure to eliminate the chatter and let the razor cut smoothly. Amazing how this experience points out that you can't trust first impressions and have to adjust to the equipment you're using. Excellent comfortable shave, close but less irritating than with other razors. The sting from the cologne was much less.
OK, I'll try w the Crowns. I even put a heavy SS handle (no change). Head shaving is another thing compared to face, buy I even had chatter/jumping on the face..... I doubt this thing will ever come close to a SE Schick

I used mine last night with a Rapira (2nd shave) and it was loud as heck and skipping. Will try it with new Crown blade and see how it works

Update...

After use the razor for several shaves, there is quite a bit of chatter. The razor perform fine, I am able to get BBS results no problem. As the blade dulls the chatter increases. I can get at least 60 BBS shaves from an Astra SS, I'm not will to go past 4. The blade is clamped down tight but there is too much blade left unsupported, too much blade reveal. I get BBS results with considerable sting from the AS.

The blade edge sticks out as much as my ATT SE1, but the DE blade is not as thick which is why it chatters.

Update...

After use the razor for several shaves, there is quite a bit of chatter. The razor perform fine, I am able to get BBS results no problem. As the blade dulls the chatter increases. I can get at least 60 BBS shaves from an Astra SS, I'm not will to go past 4. The blade is clamped down tight but there is too much blade left unsupported, too much blade reveal. I get BBS results with considerable sting from the AS.

The blade edge sticks out as much as my ATT SE1, but the DE blade is not as thick which is why it chatters.
I can confirm similar experience after using the Eco. Blade is clamped down tight enough imo. All the chatter and skipping comes from too much blade exposure. It feels very aggressive, you can feel the raw blade on your face. The small blade gap mitigates the risk of cutting the skin too much. Really strange, never experienced this kind of shave. Despite feeling aggressive and rough the shave itself is mild. Not pleasant at all. Also to shave effectively I have to do quick strokes to offset the light weight of the razor. Switching to a heavier handle doesn't really help, only makes the razor unbalanced. Biggest hurdle is definitely the crazy long blade reveal. It could have been such a good shaver.

What I would like to see in v. 2 is minimal blade exposure, as small as possible. It is half DE after all. It will never be as rigid as full DE. Very secure and very tight clamp down of the blade. Three base plates with different gaps. Mild, regular and heavy, similar to ATT system. At least 1/3rd slimmer head design. That would be my dream half DE single edge safety razor. :)

Three shaves into it with ECO and really unsure about it as it's not a comfortable shave. Tried it with Crown blade last night again and it just feels rough. I am used to chatter from some of my GEMs, but this seems extreme. Was on cusp of razor burn which I have had since the first time I used a DE. I'll keep trying with different blades to see if it works.

Update...

I shimmed the razor under the blade for a quarter of my face and it felt much better. Then I decided to use both halves of the blade at the same time on the rest of my face.

Using both halves of the blade, it seemed like it took more strokes to hit BBS. I was able to go over areas as many times as I wanted to with no fear and apply pressure as well. There was absolutely no sting from the AS on the 3 quarters of my face that I used both halves. There was a little sting on the quarter of my face where I used the shim.

One of the halves had 3 shaves on it while the other half was fresh. I will be trying this with a fresh blade.

This might turn out to be a top razor!

Last edited:
Update...

I shimmed the razor under the blade for a quarter of my face and it felt much better. Then I decided to use both halves of the blade at the same time on the rest of my face.

Using both halves of the blade, it seemed like it took more strokes to hit BBS. I was able to go over areas as many times as I wanted to with no fear and apply pressure as well. There was absolutely no sting from the AS on the 3 quarters of my face that I used both halves. There was a little sting on the quarter of my face where I used the shim.

One of the halves had 3 shaves on it while the other half was fresh. I will be trying this with a fresh blade.

This might turn out to be a top razor!
I went straight to the two stacked blades (Treet Platinum) and enjoyed the shave. Not extraordinary in either smoothness or efficiency for me though. It took a lot more strokes on the back of my head than the Shake Sharp or some others . I'll try a single blade next.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I went straight to the two stacked blades (Treet Platinum) and enjoyed the shave. Not extraordinary in either smoothness or efficiency for me though. It took a lot more strokes on the back of my head than the Shake Sharp or some others . I'll try a single blade next.
proxy.php

I didn't bother using the original light handle, I went with a heavier SS handle.

I don't find it extremely efficient, but I was able to go over areas many times and achieve BBS with zero irritation with the stacked blades.

I didn't bother using the original light handle, I went with a heavier SS handle.

I don't find it extremely efficient, but I was able to go over areas many times and achieve BBS with zero irritation with the stacked blades.
I'll switch handles as well.

I'm a few shaves in with my RR ECO. Ditched the handle immediately and now only use the Stork Titanium (Wolfman Replica). Also, I have not tried the Crown blades that came with it. I've tried a Derby Professional 1/2 blade and I think I snapped a Voskhod in half (I can't remember). Anyway, I found the that a 'new' snapped in half Feather is providing the best shave for me. My test is going ATG under the nose. The blade has got to be very sharp if I want a bbs upper lip with no irritation. I own a Feather Artist Club DX Folding Straight and thus own a bunch of Artist Club Blades. I decided to order a RR Hawk V2 SE in Satin Silver. I think that will look nice on the Stork Handle and allow me to use up some of my expensive Artist Club blades. I'm looking forward to trying the Hawk when it arrives in few days.
ECO on StorkSOTD.jpg

RR Eco/Treet Platinum. AOS Sandalwood. Very impressed with this thing : thumbs up: Single blade this time, plenty efficient, pick ups with the Enders very few.

proxy.php

One last test. I let myself go scruffy and didn't shave for about ten days. I wanted to see how the ECO performs with long whiskers and whether the tight gap would clog? No problems, shaved clean abd no clogs. I mod the razor with a reverse shim or a shim between cap and blade, results in more backbone for the blade.

my general conclusions a reverse shim is essential for daily shaving otherwise I would not use the ECO without mods. Post # 79 gives a fleshed out description

RR Eco/Treet Platinum. AOS Sandalwood. Very impressed with this thing : thumbs up: Single blade this time, plenty efficient, pick ups with the Enders very few.

proxy.php

It's very efficient, the chatter from the blade causes considerable sting from the AS though. Shims does reduce the issue, there's too much blade reveal.

Top Bottom