What's new

RazoRock ECO First Look

I also used a preshave cream this morning -- Proraso white. Decided to use a Derby Premium tomorrow instead of a GSB.

With this razor one thing is clear, more frequent blade changes will be the norm. I can usually get 5 to 7 shaves from a DE. I can expect half as many with the Eco. Not a deal breaker, just something to deal with.

I also used a preshave cream this morning -- Proraso white. Decided to use a Derby Premium tomorrow instead of a GSB.

With this razor one thing is clear, more frequent blade changes will be the norm. I can usually get 5 to 7 shaves from a DE. I can expect half as many with the Eco. Not a deal breaker, just something to deal with.
but if you're only using half a blade in the ECO...doesn't that balance out?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not being critical of anyone who likes, buys, or uses this razor, but I don't get the point of it. What advantages does it offer over a good DE razor and the various other SE platforms? Advantages other than being a novelty (not that being a novelty is bad)?

I would not want to be breaking DE blades myself. I already cut myself too often. Of course, that's just me.

It's a razor which makes me wonder why?

Happy shaves,

Jim

This morning shave three with a Nacet. The razor slipped in my hand against the smooth barrel of the handle, so I switched out the handle with a Weber bulldog. The weight of the razor more than doubles at 83 grams. Oh well, balance is about mid handle and presents no problems for me, grippy beats slippy all day long. I like a light grip and that will not change. However, on with the shave, the Nacet has remained sharp but slightly less catchy. Three pass shave, very close. I am trying skew angles on the blades approach without problem. I may be able to adjust pressure against the skin to relieve the roughness against the skin.

I'm not being critical of anyone who likes, buys, or uses this razor, but I don't get the point of it. What advantages does it offer over a good DE razor and the various other SE platforms? Advantages other than being a novelty (not that being a novelty is bad)?

I would not want to be breaking DE blades myself. I already cut myself too often. Of course, that's just me.

Happy shaves,

Jim
For me, its not so much about SE being more advantageous than a DE, rather I just enjoy shaving with different styles of razors. Some days I use a SR, other days a DE and other days (most days) I enjoy SE. Each type of razor has unique properties and each requires a different technique. If shaving was all about just getting a close shave I probably would have stayed with carts. As they say, variety is the spice of life.

This morning shave three with a Nacet. The razor slipped in my hand against the smooth barrel of the handle, so I switched out the handle with a Weber bulldog. The weight of the razor more than doubles at 83 grams. Oh well, balance is about mid handle and presents no problems for me, grippy beats slippy all day long. I like a light grip and that will not change. However, on with the shave, the Nacet has remained sharp but slightly less catchy. Three pass shave, very close. I am trying skew angles on the blades approach without problem. I may be able to adjust pressure against the skin to relieve the roughness against the skin.
I also found the Eco handle a bit slippy, especially when wet.

I gave it a try today. I had a day and a half beard so that may have been a factor. Started with a Derby Extra blade... seemed like a moderate choice. WTG cheeks and neck went well but a lot of pulling on the chin. So much so that I changed the blade for one that was shipped with the razor. Still had some pulling.

Against the grain went much better. It seems like a fairly aggressive razor but that may have been my technique. The shave was very efficient. The jury is still out.... I need a few more shaves.

Bonus: No trouble shaving around the nose.

Today was day 3 with the RazoRock Eco and this morning I switched out the Crown blade and I used a Derby Platinum blade. Had a great shave. Getting used to the razor, learning my angles and pressure. The Derby blade is smoother than the Crown. I like this razor, but still for me it just doesnt have that timeless elegance of the Schick Injector. What the Eco does have is a lot more variety in terms of blade selection. And that is a bonus.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I

Shave 4. Put a 7 O'Clock SS Green Label in place of the Nacet. Today's shave was much smoother than the Nacet and equally close. I will try for two more shaves with this blade.

There would be no difference in the # of shaves from a DE blade here, the only difference is that you are changing the blade more frequently because your using 1/2 of the blade at a time!!

There would be no difference in the # of shaves from a DE blade here, the only difference is that you are changing the blade more frequently because your using 1/2 of the blade at a time!!
I believe your math is correct! I just have to expend the energy to change my blade more frequently. And because of my naturally lazy nature, this will require some effort.

Great first shave. I used the Crown 1/2 DE blade that was included in the purchase. Two pass easy shave that gave me BBS
IMG_0238.JPG
. What a bargain at $30. The razor reminds of the Hawk which I believe the Eco is based off except it doesn't use AC type blades.

M

Member 113878

Third shave, and with a Feather this time.
Felt somewhat rough as well.
Very close shave, just not comfortable.
Will try a Derby tomorrow.

To the folks that think that snapping blades and twice the number of blade changes presents a bothering task, for my seventy year old hands, no problem!! The ECO grants me the means to use my stock of old blades, of which I have far to many.

To the folks that think that snapping blades and twice the number of blade changes presents a bothering task, for my seventy year old hands, no problem!! The ECO grants me the means to use my stock of old blades, of which I have far to many.
Sensible, practical attitude. We can all learn from this approach!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I was thinking, "Hey. Great travel razor." Especially since we have to depend on being able to find blades on the other end. At the moment I travel with a PAA Alpha Ecliptic Bakelite slant. Still uses DE blades, but saves breaking them. Not that that's a big deal.

This will bear further thought.

O.H.

Top Bottom