What's new

RazoRock ECO First Look

The ECO arrived in the mail late this morning. I ordered the blue version and it is very attractive with a dark blue non glossy finish. 3 3/4 inches long overall and 36.7 grams weight, just slightly longer and heavier than the classic Schick E2, however the width of the head is 43.87 mm or 1.72 inches compared to 38.38 or 1.51 inches for the Schick. Front to back of the head 26.2 mm or 1.03 in. for ECO and 12.55 mm for the Schick. Neither of the handles are grippy but both can be easily held securely. The ECO handle is 12.5 mm diameter at the widest and has smooth barrel that diminishes in diameter to 10.3 mm near the bottom end and ends with a knob of 12.4 mm. In my hands, I do not find any distracting imbalance for the ECO despite a large difference in head size. The minimum shaving angle, blade to skin, for the ECO is about 17 degrees and perhaps 6 degrees for the Schick (the angles are hard to measure with my tools and eyesight).

On to the shave, I loaded a Nacet and found the four posts that bracket the blade by it's contours is without slop or binding. The cap, base and handle is in the familiar three piece safety razor manner and assembly was easy and normal on the first attempt. There is an undetermined gap and blade exposure. I washed my face for prep and proceeded with loading my brush for face lathering. I attempted shaving at a minimal angle and the stubble was easily removed. I did not have any cuts and weepers in a four pass shave, I am normally three pass and done, just going for the best shave and I got it. However, the light razor does not clamp and damp as well as I hope for, a thicker blade might help. So I'll leave conclusions for another time after more shaves. I am hoping for at least three good shaves from each half DE blade. This is clearly a razor worthy of a tryout.

I received my Eco (black) in the mail today as well. I will give it a whirl tomorrow morning. I am going to try the Crown blades that were included in the order. So far, I like the look and feel of the razor. It seems to have good balance. I am a loyal Schick Type G user, so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

I am looking forward to reading other reviews.

M

Member 113878

Got mine, black too, today as well.
Will use the provided Crown half blades tomorrow morning.

M

Member 113878

As with the Lupo, it felt a bit rough.
Maybe the alu adge?
It doesn't glide very well on my skin, in comparison to chrome or nickel plated heads.
There's some blade feel, and it's pretty efficient.
I'll try it later with a different blade. (used the Crown today)
The jury is still out, but that was the very first shave with the ECO.
(I don't like the Lupo FWIW)

As with the Lupo, it felt a bit rough.
Maybe the alu adge?
It doesn't glide very well on my skin, in comparison to chrome or nickel plated heads.
There's some blade feel, and it's pretty efficient.
I'll try it later with a different blade. (used the Crown today)
The jury is still out, but that was the very first shave with the ECO.
(I don't like the Lupo FWIW)
Interesting. I find with any new razor it takes a week or more or regular use to get the feel of how it works. And I find with a new blade it just confuses matters. I will continue to use the Crown blades (I have 100 to use up), just for the sake of consistency. I found the Eco to be medium aggression, though I am not entirely sure if it is the razor or the blade (or my technique) that made it feel a bit brisk.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
However, the light razor does not clamp and damp as well as I hope for, a thicker blade might help.

This made a quiet bell go off in my head. I've heard -- only heard it -- that the "hair shaper" half-DE blades (made that way) are slightly thicker than a regular DE that's been broken. I have also heard that they won't fit some half-DE razors for that very reason.

Might be worth picking up a pack of them and trying out.

O.H.

Second shave with the Nacet blade. As Rusty Blade has noted, the shave is "a bit brisk". The Nacet has not yet smoothed and the shave was also a bit catchy on the chin, especially ATG, but no cuts. Three pass shave, very close, I'll continue with the Nacet tomorrow. Too soon for opinions.

M

Member 113878

I have a micrometer but no hair shaper blades.
Do you suggest the half Crowns that come with the ECO are hair shaper blades?

Is this true? Are hair shaper blades thicker than 1/2 DE blades? Anyone have a micrometer out there?
There seems to be two different types of hair shaper blades. Personna makes both. One looks like a DE blade but longer and the other looks like a Gem blade also longer. I doubt either one will fit the Eco razor.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm probably not in the market for this, though liking SE better than DE it interests me. That the pre-made half blades may be thicker, may be a plus for this razor. I will say that there is no way I'm going to ever take the time to break any DE blade in half for any razor regardless. That puts the implement well beyond the line of futzy for me. If I can't buy a blade that works straight away, no thanks. Long way of saying, were this mine, I'd be buying some 1/2 blades and getting after it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Derby for on . I think others do too. Check Sally Beauty or barber supply places onlinr

Day 2 with the RazoRock Eco. It was a bit more comfortable this morning. I still find it a bit "brisk", though I am beginning to think it's the Crown blade and not so much the razor. I am used to a Schick injector that is so smooth and sharp I often have to check there is a blade in the razor. Still, I am not complaining. Overall, a great shave. I know it will feel better each day.

I give RazoRock credit for coming up with an inexpensive half DE blade, SE razor. Full points to them. Once I get it dialed in, I know it's going to be a keeper for sure.

Tomorrow I will switch blades and use one that I am more familiar with like a GSB.

M

Member 113878

Same experience for me this morning, and used a different pre-shave (stirling pre-shave soap instead of Crown Shaving pre-shave gel)
Will try a broken Feather blade tomorrow.

Top Bottom