What's new

RazoRock ECO First Look

2nd shave with a Dorco Prime in the Eco, and it was great! Two days of growth. Now I used Tabac, which is an excellent soap, and while shaving I went very slowly, feeling the blade, and got BBS/DFS+. When I applied alum at the end of my shave I got no feedback at all.

So, if you are having issues with your Eco, try snapping one of your favorite DE blades in half and give it an other go, you might be surprised.

Received mine in the mail yesterday and did my first shave on it today, but not interested in the Crown's right now because they are Lord blades, and Lord and I aren't on speaking terms and haven't been for years. I might try them later, however, I grabbed some half Derby Premium but decided to go with an Astra SP because I'm far more familiar with those. I had a couple of shaves on my GEM gold Featherweight this week just to get used to the idea of a light GEM-style SE again.

In my first few strokes, I was using a steep angle similar to the Featherweight but it was a little too steep. I found that adjusting it to the proper angle wasn't too hard and it's somewhere between a Featherweight and a Tech. It took a light touch but found it to be a good shave and shaving under my nose was easier than with the Featherweight due to the more shallow angle.

There was quite a bit of auditory feedback but no issues with the blade gliding smoothly. I don't think it's quite as efficient as a true SE shaver, it's still a DE after all, but overall, I'm happy with my first shave and look forward to trying it again tomorrow.

Second, shave today and I'm impressed so far. It was smooth and efficient, which for a cheap razor that's not easy to find. No issue with irritation or nicks and ended with a two-pass DFS. I found that the angle really affects the feedback, which shouldn't be a surprise. I attribute the feedback to the fact that the half blade vibrates a lot inside the head because it's not very thick or wide and the head is amplifying the vibration. A steeper angle reduces or eliminates this but the blade feel is more pronounced.

So far, really enjoying this razor.

I just realized that I reversed the terminology on angles. :facep: I used "steep" when I really meant "shallow" and vice-versa. Been too long away from the forums lol.

I really like my Eco. Not many razors as aggressive as it is can be smooth too. The light weight really helps keep the pressure off and it's more intuitive to use at a shallow angle than a normal DE. It's aggressive enough to work well at a steep angle and get under the nose really well too.

So had my third ECO shave today was a rush job so soap wasn't as well lathered and the shave was faster than I would have liked. I was a little off on the angle at first so the head felt a little draggy but adjusted that and the second pass was a lot better. Still no irritation in spite of the suboptimal conditions so I was very happy. A GEM razor probably would have been very uncomfortable under similar circumstances so I would say that the ECO is more forgiving than a GEM Featherweight.

I've loaded up a Feather for tomorrow and I'll see how that works. The Astra SP worked well but is more forgiving than a Feather but I'd like to see how the sharper blades do.

I've followed this for awhile. I love DEs and SEs equally, get great shaves on either platform. But. I cannot do aluminum. I found the original AlumaHawk a wonderful (highly efficient yet very forgiving) shaver, it was just something I did not enjoy handling.

I have since acquired the V2 with both plates, and it is in my regular rotation. RazoRock, give me stainless...or I'll wait for someone else! :c1:

Forth shave today after shaving with my Hawk v3 standard. I used a fresh Feather and you can definitely tell the Hawk and ECO are near twins. The angles are the same and both provided a smooth, effortless, irritation-free shave. Feather blades often feel harsh on their first shave but after shaving with the Hawk with a Feather Pro they seem very similar and I had no issues with a harsh blade feel.

Definitely going to keep this one as a high rotation razor along with my Lupo .72 and Hawk v3 standard.:thumbup:

Top Bottom