What's new

RazoRock ECO First Look

Second time around with the Eco. Completely different.

SOTD 09012020.jpg

Coming from a rough shave yesterday, I tried different angles on my arm to see if it improved anything. Riding the cap, it literally scraped my skin felt horrible. When I rode the guard, however, the razor just glided and I barely felt the blade.

Transitioning to the shave, I rode the guard with the same blade (Crown 2nd use) and the shave went so much better. Smooth and I did not have to put extra pressure. The blade cut pretty well without much fuss. I'm excited to continue shaving with this razor and enjoy more shaves.

Riding the guard? So what kinda angle are you using? Its just my eco gives quiet rough but tolerable shaves.

Riding the guard? So what kinda angle are you using? Its just my eco gives quiet rough but tolerable shaves.
From what I can tell, I'm shaving around a 30 degree angle. I put the razor straight against my face and just tilt it slightly up until the blade catches. That gives the most comfortable shave for me.

Looking at the diagram, I would be technically shaving at an "Aggressive blade angle." But Eco seems to be the exception that it's milder at the "Aggressive blade angle"and becomes more aggressive as the razor goes towards the "Good starting angle"

1599075292202.png

Once I start riding the cap, the razor basically scrapes against my skin and feels very uncomfortable.

Another Great shave with the Eco today.

SOTD 09022020.jpg

The more I shave with the Eco, the more I realize that it's a angle-dependent razor. Actively thinking to ride the guard rather than the ride the cap (Which I'm used to), helps me get a more comfortable shave.

From what I can tell, I'm shaving around a 30 degree angle. I put the razor straight against my face and just tilt it slightly up until the blade catches. That gives the most comfortable shave for me.

Looking at the diagram, I would be technically shaving at an "Aggressive blade angle." But Eco seems to be the exception that it's milder at the "Aggressive blade angle"and becomes more aggressive as the razor goes towards the "Good starting angle"

View attachment 1149246

Once I start riding the cap, the razor basically scrapes against my skin and feels very uncomfortable.

Nice thanks for the info, ill give it ago.

Tried out riding the guard. New blade, proraso red, result......smooth and rough free. Seems alittle strange not having an SE cap almost flat on the face and being in the death zone, but it works for me, 🥳

Another run with the Eco today.

SOTD 09042020.jpg

2-days of growth. Used a fresh Crown blade with the Eco. That thing tugged like no other. I maintained riding the guard but still, Eco was not efficient or smooth. I feel that there is a innate roughness with the razor that either you enjoy it or hate it.

Right after the shave, I thought of passing on the razor. But I still want to learn this tool and make it work. I'd say it's an aggressive razor with fair bit of blade feel but you can get a smooth shave out of it. Some people are saying to ride the cap but that has not been my experience.

Couple things that I'm experimenting next shave: Stern hand, accept the fair bit of blade feel, and continue riding the cap. This razor is light and the blade has fair bit of exposure and positive angle. If I use a light touch/pressure, the blade skips across the face and catches on the stubble. I think a stern hand and just enough pressure will help blade glide rather than skipping. I'll be back in or day or two to report my findings.

I know this ain't the right thing to do as it isn't what traditional shaving is about (relaxed and uncomplecated) but I was thinking of trimming a few mm of the rough side of the blade (the brake) and seeing if a lesser exposure can help in the shave quality. Or has some one already tried this?

SOTD with the Eco / Crown (3)

SOTD 09082020.jpg

The last two shaves were great with the Eco. I had a 2-days growth and the Eco mowed it down fairly well. I think Crown blades perform better after the 1st use. Regardless, Eco still maintains that bite throughout the shave. It felt rough early on but now it feels like a comfortable bite. I feel the blade and sometimes it tugs slightly but I used a stern hand with slight more pressure, and that led to a good result. I'm still riding the guard and that seems to help.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the razor. My experience with the Eco so far is that it's a medium, edging towards aggressive razor that has a bite to it. It's medium efficient and it can be a nicer shaver. I wouldn't recommend it to people who like mild razors but those that enjoy the extra bite and want the blade feel.

SOTD with the Eco / Crown (3)

View attachment 1152273

The last two shaves were great with the Eco. I had a 2-days growth and the Eco mowed it down fairly well. I think Crown blades perform better after the 1st use. Regardless, Eco still maintains that bite throughout the shave. It felt rough early on but now it feels like a comfortable bite. I feel the blade and sometimes it tugs slightly but I used a stern hand with slight more pressure, and that led to a good result. I'm still riding the guard and that seems to help.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the razor. My experience with the Eco so far is that it's a medium, edging towards aggressive razor that has a bite to it. It's medium efficient and it can be a nicer shaver. I wouldn't recommend it to people who like mild razors but those that enjoy the extra bite and want the blade feel.
I previously said the crown blades get better After 1st or 2nd use. I think they seem smoother with more shaves on them.. I've had an eco since not long after they came out and still use it sometimes..

View attachment 1150450

2-days of growth. Used a fresh Crown blade with the Eco. That thing tugged like no other. I maintained riding the guard but still, Eco was not efficient or smooth. I feel that there is a innate roughness with the razor that either you enjoy it or hate it.

Right after the shave, I thought of passing on the razor. But I still want to learn this tool and make it work. I'd say it's an aggressive razor with fair bit of blade feel but you can get a smooth shave out of it. Some people are saying to ride the cap but that has not been my experience.

Couple things that I'm experimenting next shave: Stern hand, accept the fair bit of blade feel, and continue riding the cap. This razor is light and the blade has fair bit of exposure and positive angle. If I use a light touch/pressure, the blade skips across the face and catches on the stubble. I think a stern hand and just enough pressure will help blade glide rather than skipping. I'll be back in or day or two to report my findings.
Can you explain the difference between ride the cap and ride the guard? What is the guard? The bottom baseplate?

Can you explain the difference between ride the cap and ride the guard? What is the guard? The bottom baseplate?
Riding the cap is having the handle away from the face and riding the guard is having the handle closer to the face.

The diagram shows the difference.

1605497228971.png

the "Aggressive blade angle" would be riding the guard.

I go with your experience brother @Timeclo

Thank you for such detailed analysis and tips and observations. This is one awesome underrated razor and I think it's mostly due to the crown blade which IB decided to bundle with them.

On two days growth the crown blade feels Kinda tuggy as if plucking one odd hair here and there towards the end of my long pass on the neck where the angle tends to change if there is more wrist movement.

I also observed that the bundled crown blade Performs better after the first use.

I was on this thread and it was time for a bath and shave in my time zone (late morning). I chose the eco razor with a crown blade on its 3rd use.

Used an ultra slick vicco turmeric shave cream (turmeric has the best skin care and healing one can find in all of the Lord's wonderful nature)

Lathered up with a Razorock Snowman synthetic.

First pass on two days of growth - the blade feels rough and tuggy but it does not irritate. It cuts hair without aggravating.

Riding the cap sometimes works and at times seems to be meh. Kept changing angles to a more neutral DE angle and it seems very efficient. I am yet to figure out one angle which works everywhere on my face.

Second pass was effortless. No more tuggy feel as the eco does fantastic job of stubble reduction on the first pass. The tuggy feel is only with longer stubble on the first pass.

Third touch up pass including ATG on the usual places like the neck under the chin and XTG upwards on the jawlines

A fantastic irritation free DFS shave. Zero feedback from the alum block.

A splash of witch hazel and I am all set for a good day !

The eco has potential and is a matter of mastering the right angle. A change of blade may make it smoother and non tuggy, but for the initiated and experienced, the crown blades are easy to deal with..

The Razorock Eco is a keeper for sure and I intend to get another one in hulk green color to add to my black eco and perhaps also put in some other half DE blades like the derby premium while I am at it.

View attachment 1150450

But.......you can scrape and cut, or you can cut hairs......cutting seems more of the goal..... a blade.almost parallel to the surface of the skin. That's what mimics shavette and straight preferred techniques....

I go with your experience brother @Timeclo

Thank you for such detailed analysis and tips and observations. This is one awesome underrated razor and I think it's mostly due to the crown blade which IB decided to bundle with them.

On two days growth the crown blade feels Kinda tuggy as if plucking one odd hair here and there towards the end of my long pass on the neck where the angle tends to change if there is more wrist movement.

I also observed that the bundled crown blade Performs better after the first use.

I was on this thread and it was time for a bath and shave in my time zone (late morning). I chose the eco razor with a crown blade on its 3rd use.

Used an ultra slick vicco turmeric shave cream (turmeric has the best skin care and healing one can find in all of the Lord's wonderful nature)

Lathered up with a Razorock Snowman synthetic.

First pass on two days of growth - the blade feels rough and tuggy but it does not irritate. It cuts hair without aggravating.

Riding the cap sometimes works and at times seems to be meh. Kept changing angles to a more neutral DE angle and it seems very efficient. I am yet to figure out one angle which works everywhere on my face.

Second pass was effortless. No more tuggy feel as the eco does fantastic job of stubble reduction on the first pass. The tuggy feel is only with longer stubble on the first pass.

Third touch up pass including ATG on the usual places like the neck under the chin and XTG upwards on the jawlines

A fantastic irritation free DFS shave. Zero feedback from the alum block.

A splash of witch hazel and I am all set for a good day !

The eco has potential and is a matter of mastering the right angle. A change of blade may make it smoother and non tuggy, but for the initiated and experienced, the crown blades are easy to deal with..

The Razorock Eco is a keeper for sure and I intend to get another one in hulk green color to add to my black eco and perhaps also put in some other half DE blades like the derby premium while I am at it.
Great to hear. Eco definitely has the potentials but it can be a tricky one. I'll have to revisit it soon.

Is anyone still using the shim method with the Eco? I never quite understood if he was shimmimg under the blade heel section or the top blade section. A diagram or actual photo would be great as I'd like to try this as well.

Pulled out the Eco today with half a Dorco Prime in for a change. Made a huge difference. I'm going to go with this for a while, the try all my blade stash one after an other to see which one works best. Might try nacet next. The crown half blades do not do this razor justice.

It's all about the blade choice on the eco. Surprisingly, the PPG Perma sharp is the worst blade I've used in the eco. The Euromax, Racer, and Shark have been really great.

FWIW, I have not cracked any DE's in half for this razor...yet.

I still think the Eco shaves awesome, and I LOVE the Halo handle.

Top Bottom